Hugo Boss

Spyro

Visit site
We saw her launched and we're lucky enough to have quite a long chat with the great man who gave all sorts of detail about the foils, which needless to say I won't publicly repeat! Suffice to say I was left with the impression that the boundaries were being pushed again, like they were on the last HB which was arguably the fastest IMOCA at the time.
That thing looks amazing. It´s really going to be a test of the person at the helm rather than how fast can the boat be.

dunedin

Visit site
Given that last time nearly 1/3 of the fleet retired after hitting something.....

Are you sure about that? Hugo Boss finished a close second after damaging a foil due to suspected impact.
There was some other foil damage, but it don’t think it was the major contributor to the 11 non finishers (a much lower attraction rate than the GGR boats).

bbg

Visit site
Which appears to be a small IMOCA 60....

In some ways ... the point is that Pogo (Structures) actually makes Class 40 boats. And I believe the 12.50 is based on the Class 40 boats that they make. Pogo doesn't make IMOCA boats. Anyway the class rules are quite different.

I think Pogo may have actually started with minis and worked up to bigger boats.

flaming

Visit site
In some ways ... the point is that Pogo (Structures) actually makes Class 40 boats. And I believe the 12.50 is based on the Class 40 boats that they make. Pogo doesn't make IMOCA boats. Anyway the class rules are quite different.

I think Pogo may have actually started with minis and worked up to bigger boats.

At the start of the class 40, it was envisaged that the boats would have a second life as fast cruisers, and indeed Pogo and others produced 2 versions of their early boats - the stripped out racer and the minimalist cruiser. As you point out, since then they have separated the boats a bit more, and the 1250, whilst sharing a lot of DNA with the class 40, is a different boat.

There is however a burgeoning crop of new boats designed to be fast, but designed primarily with long distance liveaboard cruising in mind.

(And yes, Pogo started out with Minis)

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
As I said a few days ago,
Is there any point in putting an astronaut in this capsule?

I’m sure Alex Thomson has The Right Stuff, but...

Alex Thomson’s présence on board seems about as necessary as John Glenn’s présence on board his Mercury capsule.

All the handing setting reefing steering and navigating is going to be done by machine. All Thompson has to do is to put up with the motion, make a few calls for his sponsors and hope not to get killed.

matt1

Visit site
As I said a few days ago,

Alex Thomson’s présence on board seems about as necessary as John Glenn’s présence on board his Mercury capsule.

All the handing setting reefing steering and navigating is going to be done by machine. All Thompson has to do is to put up with the motion, make a few calls for his sponsors and hope not to get killed.

I d hope he isn't reading this forum! I think there is a little more to it than that!

Kukri

Visit site
I’m sure he has people to read yottimags for him.

As I said, we can be sure that he has The Right Stuff; he is superlatively brave, expert and physically and mentally fit, but what’s the point?

She is steered by autopilot, the whole time. She can be navigated entirely by computer including the important weather routeing. Her rig can be handled entirely by electric winches and various sensors, and her ballasting, trimming and foils are equally automated.

She could no doubt circumnavigate under radio control.

What is he there for?

Last edited:

MrB

Visit site

As I said, we can be sure that he has The Right Stuff; he is superlatively brave, expert and physically and mentally fit, but what’s the point?

She is steered by autopilot, the whole time. She can be navigated entirely by computer including the important weather routeing. Her rig can be handled entirely by electric winches and various sensors, and her ballasting, trimming and foils are equally automated.

What is he there for?

You have never seen the videos of him doing repairs/changing sails etc in the middle of the night smashing through a storm? What about the knock downs and when bits snap off?? Show us some videos of you doing it then judge! You are a troll if i ever seen one.

Kukri

Visit site
You have never seen the videos of him doing repairs/changing sails etc in the middle of the night smashing through a storm? What about the knock downs and when bits snap off?? Show us some videos of you doing it then judge! You are a troll if i ever seen one.

You have done a fine job of completely mid-understanding what I wrote.

BigJoe

Visit site

What is he there for?

The last line................................................... lol

Spyro

Visit site

What is he there for?
To take the sail ties off and fix the damage caused by French fishermen.

bbg

Visit site

What is he there for?
The spinnakers won't drag themselves on deck and rig themselves.

I'm quite sure a boat COULD be rigged to circumnavigate itself under remote control. Probably even automatically, with the right programming.

Last edited:

flaming

Visit site
The spinnakers won't drag themselves on deck and rig themselves.

I'm quite sure a boat COULD be rigged to circumnavigate itself under remote control. Probably even automatically, with the right programming.

I will be very surprised if this boat sets anything that you would consider a spinnaker...

Iain C

Visit site
vendee globe just shared a picture on their facebook account(cant share the link unfortunately) of the foils, boat looks like an x-fighter

Correction...Vendee Globe just shared MY picture with their watermark on their facebook account! :-(

And yes I did ask ATR if I could have a look and take pics...crack on, all public domain now they said.

flaming

Visit site
Correction...Vendee Globe just shared MY picture with their watermark on their facebook account! :-(

And yes I did ask ATR if I could have a look and take pics...crack on, all public domain now they said.

Bit rude to put their watermark on it...

Iain C

Visit site

What is he there for?

Wrong on many counts. He makes the decisions on board and the only power for the winches is human power. Without putting too much of a negative spin on it, if things were even as remotely automated as you say he would not have ended up arriving in Guadaloupe in the way he did.

I've met Alex and heard all about what daily life on board is like...and as per the title of his film it truly is "Relentless". Down south he's eating the equivalent of 7 Big Macs a day, and if he was just sat at his computer, he'd be a lot lardier than he is!!

Other threads that may be of interest