Hoyt boom

DoubleEnder

Visit site
Sailed recently on a 41ft boat with a Hoyt boom on the headsail. It was difficult to trim and tended to flutter quite heavily when we tried sailing to windward. The boat is definitely a motorsailer, so maybe we are being unfair. But does anyone have any tips?
The sail is roller furling, so there is an outhaul that tensions the foot. The sail is self tacking so the sheet only controls the angle of the boom, you can’t pull the clew aft, or down. The boom swings port & starboard but not up & down. The only other sail controls are the halyard and leach line.

I think the sail may be a bit stretched and out of shape but I wonder if we are missing a trick?

island163

Visit site
We have a Hoyt boom on our Island Packet. It's used on our staysail. No flutter when we fly the staysail. We use it:

a) when it is blowing old boots and we have a much reefed main and the Genoa is away or down to just a scrap.
or
b) when the apparent wind is between 60 and 120 degrees and we want to add a bit more sail to go with full main and Genoa.

We are happy with the Hoyt boom

DoubleEnder

Visit site
The boat I was on had only one single headsail, on the Hoyt boom.
I’m guessing this needs to be cut quite flat? When the outhaul is eased the clew rises, there is no way to keep the clew lie while increasing the draught in the sail.

The Q

Visit site
I've not got a hoyt boom, which technically is called a jib club, not a boom.
A jib boom is a fixed extension of a bowsprit normally fitted to a square rigger.
If you're stood on the foredeck with the club whanging around you'll know why it's called a jib club..

But I do have a club foot sail.
The simple solution is a line through the clew round the club, it will hold the sail down whatever the position of the outhaul.
On my boat that can be a fixed diameter, with a Hoyt you may need to have it adjustable, with it's adjustment line paralleling the outhaul back to the cockpit.