How's arson for a Christmas present?

Doolittle

Visit site
How\'s arson for a Christmas present?

Quite how it didn't make the local news I'm not sure but the Walton arsonist has graduated from sheds and garages to boats.

End of November two cruisers moored in Shepperton weir channel alongside Lock Island were set alight. The first broke away, lodged up against the weir, set light to the weir roof and took out much of the wiring rendering two sluices inoperable. The fire finally sunk the boat and most of it broke up and went downstream. The second boat was mostly destroyed by fire and was towed away by EA the following morning, in somewhat of a hurry, whilst personal belongings floated out of holes in the hull.

I've just got this news from my Dad who lives near Shepperton back weir. Has anyone else heard anything?

byron

RIP
Visit site
Re: How\'s arson for a Christmas present?

There was a time, in my youth, when Arson was regarded on a par with Murder and Kidnaping (or in today's terms of severity, speeding).
Kids were warned that if caught committing Arson then they could expect to be 'detained at Her Majesty's pleasure'
-
Now! they will not bother even investigating, I mean as long as the craft have a BSS and the owners haven't broken the speed limits they don't care.

rr_123

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
... as long as the craft have a BSS and the owners haven't broken the speed limits they don't care.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're just being flippant. The main thing is that they must have the Thames license, then they don't care!!

R

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
... as long as the craft have a BSS and the owners haven't broken the speed limits they don't care.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're just being flippant. The main thing is that they must have the Thames license, then they don't care!!

R

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, even you have missed the point. You must have paid for a licence, actual possession of same, or a floating boat etc is irrelevant:)

No Regrets

Visit site

No, all they really care about is if you have adequate insurance to pay for the damage your burning boat inflicted on the riverside hardware on it's final voyage.

/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Timothy

Visit site

How wrong you all are.
If the boat was not being USED at the time then it doesn't need to be licensed to be kept on the river. I am fed up paying for all the unlicensed boats kept on the river.

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk

[ QUOTE ]
How wrong you all are.
If the boat was not being USED at the time then it doesn't need to be licensed to be kept on the river. I am fed up paying for all the unlicensed boats kept on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh dear.....how many are you paying for, then?

byron

RIP
Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
How wrong you all are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually the rules were changed a couple of years back. Anything afloat must now be licenced. Even in marinas if their waters are deemed part of the river i.e. most of Harleyford.

apollo

Visit site

I thought they had given up on that legislation after struggling for 10years to get it passed? At least thats what the ATYC said?

Gavi

Visit site

I just spoke with my mate on the local rag. Apparently they covered the story on the front page in the Walton/Shepperton area. He lambasted me for not reading the paper... I commented that I was trying to give him a more interesting story than the normal "cat stuck up tree" line that I normally give when he answers the phone "newsdesk" /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Beryl

Visit site

Poor old misguided Byron. The rules have NOT been changed. Try calling your local EA office in Wallingford and speak to Paul Smith direct phone number 01491 828351

byron

RIP
Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
Poor old misguided Byron. The rules have NOT been changed. Try calling your local EA office in Wallingford and speak to Paul Smith direct phone number 01491 828351

[/ QUOTE ]

I stand corrected then.

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk

[ QUOTE ]
I stand corrected then.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, you sit down me old mucker....anyones entitled to be wrong once in a while, including you /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Actually, I was just thinking what a sad and miserable trhead this one is.....nowt but cynicism and intolerance. Pity really and not at all worthy of us mighty Thames based mariners.

Cheer up you miserable lot....I can do depressed without your help.

I will be spending Xmas Day with my son, his girl friend and my recently delivered brand new grandson Max. It will be the first Xmas I have spent with son since I can't remember and the first ever with a delightful little chap who will do great things in the future, I am sure.

My felicitations and best wishes for the xmas season to you all.

Gavi

Visit site

What an upbeat message. Is the dog spending his xmas on the boat and you are just jealous? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site

<CHEERFUL>
Aha, and Happy Christmas to you all, may the joy of The Nativity enter the lives of you and yours and enrich them throughout the coming year.
</CHEERFUL>
Bah, Humbug
:)

Anyone on the river New Year time, wave if you see us.

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk

It was intended to be upbeat...I am genuinely looking forward to being with offspring and the dog will be coming too!

You clearly misinterpreted the thrust and intent of my post..... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Ramage

Visit site

I spent a couple of happy hours on the boat yesterday changing the antifreeze in the engine.

It was the first time I have ever seen the Marina car park totally empty (and someone has taken the main gates off, presumably to work on them!)

byron

RIP
Visit site

Ah how I remember Christmas past. Peeking through the windows of other kids to see the presents they'd got. Sometimes getting the empty boxes their presents had arrived in so I too had something to play with. After they'd eaten going around their dustbins and finding huge lumps of Turkey to eat.
Basking in the smile of my mother as I helped clean the vomit off her when she arrived back from the Pub.
Then a week later going to the dump and getting broken toys to fix up. Once a nice man gave me a shiny penny to spend but my bum was sore for weeks.
Those were happy days.

Ramage

Visit site

Luxury.

We used to dream of second hand cardboard boxes!

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif