How to unblock drain holes

philipm

Visit site
Has anyone got a good suggestion for unblocking drain holes on their boat?

I have used a coat hanger but it's not entirely satisfactory.

Need a massive pipe cleaner.

Portofino

Visit site
Suck them out .
As opposed to ram stuff in firmer .

I use one of these with a clear tube pipes .
You can run a bit of water after doing a dry suck / vacuum first ....it sucks the lot out .
Any obstruction naturally will be near the entry so to speak .

7C42A6BE-06CF-4F57-8E99-CCE1922ECE85.jpeg

markc

Visit site
Yep, agree with hosepipe stuffed in the hole. You could also use a wet vac on suck or blow. The flybridge drains on one of my old boats used to get blocked all the time and the hose worked well.

kashurst

Visit site
as Littlesisters post, once clear you can attach a bit of rag to build up the diameter to get it really cleaned out. Be careful using a pressure washer or a hose pipe. On some boats the quality of the drain hose isn't very good or just old and it could burst leaving you with a flood somewhere inside the boat.

DougH

Visit site
All the suggestions will work and I have tried most of them over the years, but without doubt the pump method used by portofino is the easiest and most successful of them all.

The galley sink waste sometimes empties very slowly so I now use the same pump and clear hose with nozzle from a B&Q sink plunger. Works a real treat.

You will be amazed what comes up from a galley sink. Yuk.

It also works round all the elbows etc.

plumbob

Visit site
Without doubt the best method by far is a wet vac. If of course you have shore power. I use one regularly for draining bilges after winterizing, all drains, after washing down the shower etc etc.Best things ever.

Robin

Visit site
For galley drains we have filter strainers in the plug holes, no grease allowed down them, goes in old coffee jars retained for the purpose. When the get claggy we use a trick from google/utube, put a bunch of baking soda in, then white vinegar and watch it fizz clean, follow with hot water with/without a plunger. shower tray is harder but again a strainer helps over the drain hole, pumpguard filter before the diaphragm pump out cleaned every 4-6 weeks.

philipm

Visit site

jon and michie

Visit site
Go to a engineering suppliers and get a mig welder wire liner industrial type like esab they are about 5-6ft long flexible rubber coated.