How to stop a bullet from an AK47?

NOHOH

Visit site
At the moment, yes. However, I don't want an increase of no-go zones in the world. Without wishing to sound like a party political broadcast, I want our kids, grand kids and beyond to be able to explore the seas in relative safety, without having to buy the A-Team guide to turning your yacht into a floating fortress, on route, armed with no more than a Stanley knife, roll of knicker elastic and a pack of hubba bubba!

....But not able to anchor anywhere...because there are seahorses and flatulent rays living in the eelgrass

Downsman

Visit site
Remember the Datsun 180B saloon?
A Russian short 7.62 mm(the old none boat tail bullet, 123/5 grain weight I think they were) firing from 100 metres, kneeling, penetrated....

Boot lid, rear seat back, drivers seat back, dashboard. deflected off lower steering column and destroyed the headlamp on it's way out. (bullet not recovered)
Two other rounds (Three round burst) took roughly the same path one destroyed the rocker cover and exited about mid bonnet nose (Not recovered) and the third was recovered after it deflected and lodged in the car battery. Not much distortion of the full metal jacket bullet.

You need ceramic plate, (very heavy) and Kevlar sheet to be in with a chance.
When you've fitted it all. your boat will need some serious stability trimming.:D :D

Csail

N/A
Visit site
Well i like guns etc but its not a good solution on a yacht. I reckon trail a few hundred mtrs of light rope to disable pirates prop.

Fire99

Visit site
....But not able to anchor anywhere...because there are seahorses and flatulent rays living in the eelgrass

Exactly. It's not about the short game, it's about protecting a rite which we have enjoyed for generations. Like the tide, don't allow your freedoms to ebb away.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
One other issue that people are missing is that even if you stop a bullet entering, there is still a serious danger of spalling off the inside of the plate. And that can kill you just as dead as the bullet itself, as many tank crews have found.

D

Deleted member 36384

Well, this post appears to be appropriate and topical. My employer is running tactical driving courses at the moment in case we get shot up again.

If your in a traffic jam when they have a go the worst thing you can do is jump out and hide behind your car. Apparently, bullets aimed at the ground don't rebound at the same angle of incidence; they scoot off horizontally.

The experienced terrorist knows this and will spray the ground just below the car to deliberately hit those on the other side.

Also, in the traffic jam, if the car appears to be immobilised but the engine is revving up, its probably not in gear! The freak out factor will be high at this point and will cloud ones logic. Its been established that shot up people lying beside their perfectly working car, explain that they got out because the car was immobilised.

Last edited by a moderator:

KenMcCulloch

Visit site
This bizarre thread reminds me rather of an apparently serious discussion, on an American motorcycling forum a few years ago, about where to carry your 'piece' when ridin'. If you have a gun on your person it may do you serious harm, having a big lump of metal strapped to your body, if you come off the bike. On the other hand, if you carry it on the bike, the 'bad guys' will have it away while you are paying for 'gas'. Who are these people, really?

Being attacked by pirates is really terrible but it's hardly an everyday event for which detailed preparations are appropriate. We are more likely to use our liferafts than be attacked by pirates and as discussions here have revealed, needing to use the liferaft is extremely rare.

DannyB

Visit site
When I was working down in Nigeria, I heard a story about a bunch of the local bandits who tried to take hostages off a tanker. When the tanker captain refused to cooperate they fired an RPG at it. The round apparently went in the side of the tanker, through one of the tanks and exited the other side without exploding. The tanker captain immediately handed over all the white people on board as hostages before they could fire again. Sensible chap.

RobinBirch

Visit site
Perhaps a suitable article for PBO - "How to make your boat bullet proof" It would make a change from the normal run off the mill stuff about anchors and varnishing that seemed to come round every now and again. Still wouldn't have stopped me cancelling my sub though!

Major Catastrophe

Visit site
What with incidents of piracy, murder and robbery etc I am musing over the idea of making the aft cabin of my 38ft wooden yacht a safe room in the hope of a peaceful nights kip at anchor. So I was thinking of lining the inside with stainless steel and wondered what sort of thickness would be needed to stop a bullet from say a hand gun or an AK47. Perhaps the idea is impractical, for example fixing to wood or the weight, but I would appreciate any views.

There is a discussion on the penetrative qualities of various types of AK 47 7.62mm ammunition here, but I don't think they come to any conclusion.

From personal experience, you will need at least 12mm, if not more as I have seen rounds go through 6mm steel helmets, brick walls and other stuff. We even found an AK47 bullet within the cylinder of a Land Rover engine once.

But, I must say I commend your decision and courage to die slowly in a coffin of your own making, on the bottom of the ocean, instead of in a hail of bullets wearing a white T shirt and a red bandanna tied around your head.

Hiding in a locked room of a small boat is going to either raise their curiosity as to the valuables have with you, or annoy them so much, if they cannot get at you, they empty the rifle magazine through the hull.

Instead of engineering your own death, I suggest, that if confronted by pirates, you set off your EPIRB, remain passive and hope they are happy to leave after taking all your possessions, or if they do take you as a hostage, that you are rescued or they eventually let you go.

Heckler

Visit site
When I was working down in Nigeria, I heard a story about a bunch of the local bandits who tried to take hostages off a tanker. When the tanker captain refused to cooperate they fired an RPG at it. The round apparently went in the side of the tanker, through one of the tanks and exited the other side without exploding. The tanker captain immediately handed over all the white people on board as hostages before they could fire again. Sensible chap.
When I went to Angola in 76, just after the revolution, the detrius of war was all around. The interprator told the story about Callon and his men, jumping off the jetty in Soyo trying to escape the Cubans. One was renowned for having two "tommy guns" their words, firing the two together, one in each hand. They had great respect for them. Anyway as we pushed further south from Soyo to Camp Eight and Quingela there was a storage tank with an entry and exit hole in opposite sides where an RPG had gone in one side and out of the other. You tell me why it didnt go off!
Stu

monkfish24

Visit site
I've got a bullet proof vest you could borrow... well i say bullet proof, it's got armour plate on the front for your heart and on the back for your spine, the rest of the vest is just designed to keep you together if you get hit by an explosive :)

alan_d

Visit site
Exactly. It's not about the short game, it's about protecting a rite which we have enjoyed for generations. Like the tide, don't allow your freedoms to ebb away.

Umm, struggling a bit with this metaphor. How do you stop the tide ebbing away? After the tide has finished ebbing, doesn't it come back again?

Like the idea of anchoring as a rite, though. Lots of ritual and mumbo-jumbo.:)

DannyB

Visit site
I thought you were limiting your audience by posting on here, so I repeated your request over on the lounge. Check out the "any inventors out there" thread. Sure enough, there are some excellent suggestions that I would commend to the house. Worth dipping into the lounge just to check it out.