How to sell

trevor

Visit site
I intend to put my boat up for sale shortly and would like to get some advice.
At the moment she is ashore at the ABP marina in Lowestoft awaiting antifouling. question is should I try to sell her ashore or launch her (lift and mooring is paid for).

I have the feeling that any prospective buyer might like to have a look at the hull but then again might like to see the engine running etc.

Any advice?

<hr width=100% size=1>

abraxus

Visit site
Personally I would try to sell her ashore as she would have to be lifted out anyway for a survey. If a buyer is interested and the survey is good then she would need to be re-launched for a sea trial. If you put her back in now she would only have to come out and go in again for the survey.

Bill

<hr width=100% size=1>

dickh

Visit site
I reckon there are advantages and disadvantages for either method. If ashore it is very easy to inspect everything, and you can always set up a bucket of water with the inlet hose dipped in with another hose filling the bucket if you want to show the engine running. If afloat you can see the engine running and can go for a trial sail if required. I've sold boats both ashore and afloat. If you put her afloat, if a prospective purchaser needs a survey then HE has to pay for the lift, on the other hand it may be a selling point if the mooring is paid for up to a certain date.
On reflection, leave her ashore, you'll save antifouling and will be cheaper for a survey by a purchaser.

<hr width=100% size=1>dickh
I'd rather be sailing... :) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

asj1

Home: North Bucks, Boat: Suffolk Work :central Lon
Visit site
I would leave her ashore. Potential buyers can then easily examine the hull, and all fittings. You can run the engine by disconnecting the hull intake and simply pouring water in for a few minutes.

It will also save your potential buyers the cost of lifting out for survey and you can offer to lift it back in for them as part of the price negotiations.

Having spent a lot of time looking at potential boats to buy last year it was apparent that some people have an inflated idea of what their loved yact is worth -- if you seriously want to sell, do so privately and at a price which reflects that you are not paying a broker, you should then sell quickly. If You ask too much then you will have many months of frustration. !There are some good websites which apear to generate a lot of traffic which it would be worth using such as boatsandoutboards.co.uk which appear to generate a lot of traffic ( equipment advertised there seems to sell in a day or so) before placing an expensive advert elsewhere.

<hr width=100% size=1>Andrew