How to break the boom ...

lw395

Visit site
Preventer tied to kicker? boom hits wave down wind?
Corrosion?
Dinghy sailor wants leach tension from kicker, so rigs it with more purchase/bigger winch?
Section too light in the first place?

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
Since I replaced my mainsail I have broken the vang attachment point on the boom twice. Both on broad reaches when the boat hit the back of a wave (the new sail has a much harder leach than the very old one which it replaced). I have now replaced the fitting with a strop around the boom which is much stronger. So I guess the boom will be next to go.

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
dinghy sailors cranking the vang on super hard?

Probably if they're anything like my son!

Mike%20Boom.jpg

peterb

Visit site
Kicker taken down to a stanchion base to act as a kicker (demo by very well known instructor), then the mainsheet pulled in hard by someone who had been below during the demo. We snapped the gooseneck on a Contessa 32.

alan_d

Visit site
Kicker taken down to a stanchion base to act as a kicker (demo by very well known instructor), then the mainsheet pulled in hard by someone who had been below during the demo. We snapped the gooseneck on a Contessa 32.

Do you mean "... to act as a preventer..."?

ytd

Visit site
We did the same thing to our boom (Bav 44) gybing in about 30 knots. With coachroof mounted mainsheet there is a big lever arm on the boom but it tends to break (kink) between the mainsheet attachment and the vang attachment. Turned out the boom section was marginal for the sail area and boom length. We are now very careful about gybing and have fitted a boom brake.

lw395

Visit site

Says a lot about the strength of the stanchion base.
I would think rolling the clew into a wave would put the force of the mainsheet well in the shade.