How stupid we have all been.

G

We have been very silly we should have spotted earlier that Jeremy/periwinkle/j.c - the impersonator of myself and others - had got access to the computer of a most respected contributor. None other than Gus.

Does the nutcase work for you Gus? No he cant do because your back clinic wouldn’t be open at the odd hours when he posts would it? Maybe he’s part of the cleaning staff, anyway now you know I’m sure you will be able to get rid of him.

I found your site fascinating Gus- so I’ll post the URL here to save people tracking it down via Linnet’s mag as I did. Check out http://www.whysuffer.co.uk and see what a jolly looking chappie our Gus is. You might also want to have a look at his boat on http://www.geocities.com/abrazenall/original_hull_and_keel_alteratio.htm

It’s a jolly good job you put that post on YW Gus, it really helped me in my sleuthing after Jeremy. Bet you are really pleased I’ve been able to warn you.

Which leads me to another topic. Various helpful people have educated me about ISPs and, as I understand it, a particular ISP indicates a particular computer. If that is the case don’t you all find it a little odd that at least 25 regular posters – including stalwarts like Haydn and MattS as well as oddities like Ickle and Bluebeard - seem to be sharing 5 computers which they use at random. My first thought was that they all use the same cyber café but as the "people" concerned come from all over the country that doesn't make any sense. In any case, they often post replies to each other within minutes and there wouldn't be any point doing that if they were in the same room, would there.

I cannot figure out why anyone would want to post under a host of different names but that's what it is beginning to look like and I’m afraid it has put me off for good. I want to exchange views with someone I know exists, who is doing what they say they are doing and posting from wherever they say they are posting; not with some pretend personality.

So, until Karl sets up some system that stops both the Jeremys and the multiple identities I will not even be looking at this site, much less posting on it.

Incidentally Karl, I am more than a bit pissed off with you. You knew Jeremy was upsetting me, you said you would root him out but you didn’t. How come I managed it, with nothing like your resources? Also, for the sake of those who do want to continue here, will you now please see that he never posts again?

G

Matt. Are you sneaking up and using my computer ?? Or is it Bluebeard ( Hope not it's in the room next to my Bedroom). Or maybe it's the kids having a practicle joke. Maybe I'm sleep walking all the way down south and using yours !! Wish I could sleep walk down to the med and just borrow your boat now and then.

Anyway anybody who wants to borrow my computer from now on, Its 20 quid a throw and an extra tenner if you want to call yourself Marion.

First time I'vebeen called stalwart though, Wife has loads of names for me but this is a new one.

G

Well, MattS/Haydn/et al I think you do jolly well to not only share computers but also to remember the various different spellings and style you use for each character. I reckon you are obviously a pretty good author who's practising writing about different characters for a new novel. Please tell us when it's published because it'll have to be about modern boats, including that Haydn's loos and MattS' postages and I'd love to read it.

Oh, and, er, congratulations Marian on the sleuthing.

G

Hmm, I wonder if you're not jumping the gun a bit and are accusing people of something in error? Because you've got an impression that Gus is a jolly good chap, you've ASSUMED that these multi postings which you've PROVED have come from his pc, must have been done by someone else. No chance it's Gus himself having a little game? No, you're categoric that it's someone using his PC without his knowledge. Likely? Possible? Evidence? Proof? No chance that the concusion you've come to is suspect?

You then go onto accuse Matt and Haydn of this mischief with no other evidence or proof than that someone told you they must be using one of five pc's? Well I can only tell you my experience of them both. I've been having off board e-mail chats for about a year with both of them and have built up a friendship with them both. I KNOW for a fact that Matt runs a very respectable computer business in the London area and he gave up a weekend of his time to help me out in my first sea venture. I'm certain that Haydn's based in Lancashire, so how do you expalin that geographical oddity? Or I suppose you could accuse me of being part of this "conspiracy theory" of yours. All I can say Marian is that over the two years or so that I've been contributing to this BB, I've found your postings in the main to be informative, and in the spirit of the BB. I haaven't always agreed with ewhat you've said and have replied to your postings on many occasions. Personally I do occasionally post under different names, but only in jest or to make a humorous point

I'm sure the postings that have been made in your name must be annoying to you, but I think it's only right that you don't let your annoyance and anger cloud your judgement. I'm fairly sure that you've jumped to a few conclusions that are incorrect or the info you've been given is wrong. You're going to have to use the "s" word I think... Sorry.

G

Marian, thousands of people use a certain ISP. I think my ISP has 150,000 customers. The ISP is meaningless. HOWEVER! every person posting here does leave a trace and that is their IP address, no matter what EMail addy they use YBW should be able to check the IP addy of a person posting. Incidentally I have six ISPs on this (my home) PC each one will leave its own IP address when I post.

G

I was Noah admission!

I feel both sorry and humble to have to admit that I did use the name noah@stone.uk.com in a recent mailing.

I realise now the folly of my ways and have decided to put the whole computer setup in a bucket of water and never ever use it again. I have already burnt all of my MBY back issues and am using the scanner as a trouser press.

BTW

Whats this all about?

G

Re: How stupid Sorry.It was me

Yes Cris. I to am guilty of this error in my ways. Check my email address as proof.

But at the time I mistakenly thought it was OK, being that it was April fools day.

Now I can see that it's upset Marian I feel ashamed. I too am going to convert the printer into a mangle The wife can use it for pressing my underpants.

G

Not wishing to upset you myself, as I dont think that getting upset on a boat chat board is really worthwhile, whoever you have been talking to about ISP's, etc has been feeding you a load of bull. Like Byron points out a ISP may have hundreds of thounsand of different users, AOL probably has millions.

The server that hosts this chat site undoubtedly will record IP addresses of the servers that are routing the traffic from the people who post material on the site, however this is no indication of who is actually doing the posting, or even a decent indication of were any posting is coming from, as the server is certainly at least one, if not more steps, removed from your own personal computer. By accessing the internet via a dialup or subscription ISP, you are virtually untraceable. Any E-mail address you give on the site will have a IP address for your email host, however once again this may have no relation whatsoever to your personal computer. (Especially if this is a hotmail account, or equivilant.)

Depending upon how I have logged on, I will come up with several different IP addresses. For instance if I am on the boat, then I log on through a dialup account from a seperate ISP than our own servers. And this can change depending upon which number I am loggin on to.

There seems to be a thread running through the site here which involves a certain amount of fear and skullduggery in relation to users/IP's/emails/etc etc. I can assure you that contributing and logging onto this chat board is not a dangerous or potentially damaging activity, certainly far less dangerous than actually going boating.

Whilst there are undoubtedly some nutters out there who love nothing better than to wind people up, and I know that I have certainly started a thread that engendered a certain amount of nastiness back towards myself, I do think that the people who are making the most valuable contributions to the site are genuine, and and not involved in some conspiracy.

Please do continue to contribute, as I think its a shame that we cant just enjoy the banter and learn somethings as well. When some idiot does stupid things and starts rabbitting on about stealing IP's and hacking or whatever, just ignore em and get on with life. Lets lighten up and start talking boats please. If this has not eased your fears, talk to your ISP about how traceable you are. Do not forget that you can also block e-mail from anyone you do not wish to email you.

G

I have been in touch with Marian by EMail and given her the information. When she put 'ISP' it was a slip of the keyboard she meant 'IP' I then gave her a 'whois' page and armed with this she has tracked down pertinent information on the 'abuser' she is now taking appropriate steps.

G

Marion or Trevor Smith?

Have you a red sailing boat, if not, your'e not the one I mean! Rick

G

now we know you\'re lying Coli....

everyone knows there's no such thing as a respectable computer business.........;-)

G

Even that isn't an absolute. Most ISPs have a pool of IP addresses which are allocated when you dial in. You never know from one connection to the next which IP address you'll get.

Doug

G

ISPs

er - An ISP is an Internet Service Provider - so 70 people could be using the same one, or 7000 people, but they are not all in the same place. I too have suspected that there may be some multiple personalities (it happens noticeably on some other sites), but can't say I thought the folks you've mentioned were.

G

Re: What\'s IP mean? nm

An IP address is something that uniquely identifies a node on an internet, it allows you to find out who is doing something and through what ISP. Example.. Today I received an email that used one of these accomodation addresses, like Yahoo etc. I just took the IP address and identified who it was really from. The net isn't as anonymous as people think it is.

G

Re: What\'s IP mean?

For example richard, you posted under Yahoo but your ISP is really Planet Online. From there its a simple matter to track you down.

G

Simple matter?

With server assigned random IP addresses to dial up connections surely it is not that simple without the assistance of the ISP.

G

If someone has been been a nuisance, guilty of something or anything they agree needs looking into, then you will find that not only are the willing to help they will take the matter over themselves. Spammers etc. for example. Obviously they will not give out details for no reason at all. However! Believe me, there are many many instances when this facility can be useful. Over the last decade I have used it to good effect on a number of occasions, indeed only this week pinpointing someone.

G

Perhaps I\'m just thick?

But what's all this about and who's Gus, Jeremy and Linnet; why are we invited to check Marian's ISP and is Karl a nom de plume or a real person beavering away in the bowels of MBY Mansions? Just out of curiosity, mind