How long do latex gloves last?

dancrane

Visit site
I don't use many latex gloves even in a busy year...a couple of dozen, or perhaps a few more if I do a lot of painting or epoxying. If they're not ripped, I reuse them many times.

I bought a box of 100 about four years ago. Then in the early days of Covid I bought another box when I was afraid they might become scarce or crazily costly.

Then a neighbour gave me a box and a half. Only then, I noticed that all the boxes have expiry dates on them.

Now, I have at least 300 latex gloves approaching expiry in the next 12 months, and no likely need for more than about 20 per year.

Do expired gloves dry out and shred while worn, or is it a technical expiration that must be observed for medical uses, but which the painter/mechanic will never notice?

Boathook

Visit site
I suspect that the expiry date is more to do with the latex failing and the gloves falling to bits. Whether the ones purchased from a DIY shop are suitable for medical use is another matter.

I gave up with latex gloves due to tearing easily, etc and have gone down the nitrile route as they last longer, etc. More expensive, but a box last me a few years nowadays.
Just use yours but bin after use rather than re-using.

William_H

Visit site
I think on so many products now a "Use by date" is a substitute for batch number. ie important if they need to recall a product but not always relating to atual life expectancy. So to OP I think it will become obvious if gloves have deteriorated through aging and I guess they will eventually. But surely the deterioration will be obvious as you try to pull them on. ie fall to bits. I always add extra talcum powder and can often get them off for reuse. ol'will (the scrooge)

harvey38

Visit site
Latex and nitrile gloves are disposable, why on earth would you re-use them?

When I use them, they go 'orrible and sweaty and straight in the bin after use.

colind3782

Visit site
As a Paramedic I go through several pairs of gloves every shift. Forget the latex, they have largely been replaced across the board, mostly due to allergies but they were flimsy rubbish at best. Nitrile is the way to go and I have found the purple ones to be the most robust.

johnalison

Visit site
As a Paramedic I go through several pairs of gloves every shift. Forget the latex, they have largely been replaced across the board, mostly due to allergies but they were flimsy rubbish at best. Nitrile is the way to go and I have found the purple ones to be the most robust.
Yes, latex allergy is not uncommon, and used to be disabling to those in the medical and nursing areas. All rubber, even in tyres, decays with age. I imagine that if you kept the gloves in a dark cool place deprived of oxygen they might outlast their date, but ultimately it comes down to how critical the application is. If you merely want to keep hands clean and don't mind the odd failure, you can go on using them as long as you wish, though I suppose it is possible that with decay they may release more allergens and provoke a reaction.

iamtjc

Visit site
I use latex gloves where I can for jobs not involving solvents and nitrile for the tougher ones. This to minimise the disposal of plastics (nitrile) that don't break down for a long time in landfill.