How Far would you go

jac

Visit site
In a 2 week out and back cruise?
We did the West country via Guensey & Alderney last year, Planning on Scillies with a gentle meander back this year - both from the Solent with time to look around at our destination.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Sybarite

Visit site
Sounds reasonable. A few years ago we did the Scillies from S. Brittany in 2 weeks with 4 or 5 days on the spot.

John

<hr width=100% size=1>

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
People will always have different views on what is acceptable and what is not. Stronger crews will doubtless get further but I am talking about two people.

Our preference is usually to do an overnight first night out, covering 120 miles or so before our first night alongside. We have once done two successive overnights, 63 hours in all, and that covers quite a lot of ground.

Others prefer daysailing and in this case I think 50 miles per day for several days is as much as I want to do. Doing more than this tends to mean that tides have a greater effect, dropping the average speed.

Heading west from the Solent is very much dependent upon the wind and weather and you would not be the first to divert to Cherbourg after waiting for days.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Peppermint

Home in Chilterns, Boat in Southampton, Another bo
Visit site
It depends how much boat you've got under you.

I've done Ocean Village, Fastnet Rock, Night in Crookhaven, Afternoon and Night in Kinsale, Night at anchor in Swanage, Ocean village. In 7 days. We've done Ocean Village to Largs in 4 and a bit days. But you do need a big boat with a few crew who know whats what.

I've also taken a week to get to Weymouth and I enjoyed that more.

A fortnight should easily get you to the West Country. I'd favour getting my westing in early while we're fresh and meandering back.

If in doubt about a long first leg drop the boat down to Weymouth the weekend before and give yourself a start.

<hr width=100% size=1>