How do you tie a bowline?

Quandary

Visit site
I can warrant that even if you started with the rabbit round the tree in the Wolf Cubs when you were eight, after 70 years of continuous practice, you will be able to do it anywhere, in any level of light without needing to stop to think about it.
Remembering why you wanted to tie it is another problem?

snowleopard

Visit site
I first learned to tie a bowline when learning to rock climb before the days of harnesses and all that modern hardware. Start by making a loop around the waist with an overhand knot. Pull on the short end and you are left with rabbit hole, tree and rabbit already threaded. All you need to do is pass the rabbit round the tree and back down the hole.

dava

Visit site
Screenshot_2020-04-17-19-24-15.png

Thought some of you might enjoy this, I knocked it up for me daughter so her ropework doesn't fall by the wayside during this lockdown. It's basically most cleat/bollard styles we're likely to encounter on our travels.

jant

Visit site
The rabbit comes out of the hole, gets spotted by a bunch of do-good-ers who grass him up to the police for ignoring current advice re staying at home, but he ignores them and goes round the tree and back down the hole again feeling defiant.
Later that day, a YBW lynch mob, having spotted him via his AIS (animal information system) turn up and excavate the hole, catch rabbit and eat him for his sins.
That is sooo funny! ??permission to quote it to former students sir?

oldgit

Visit site
In previous life learnt three ways to tie a Bowline.
The second and third were..
................with your eyes shut
..............and behind your back
Curiously its easier to do it behind your back when your eyes are closed.

Last edited: