How do you get the right mooring and where from?

bremar

Visit site
I have posted before about my 18 ft trailer sailer. (Bandit) It's now back in use after a little work. I've used at Rutland water, taken it and moored it for a week at Bateson creek Salcomb and then later had another weekend in Salcomb on a pontoon mooring further towards kingsbridge. However, as many of you, in posting, have pointed out Its preferable to get a summer mooring and then retrieve the boat and bring it home over the winter.
I live in Stratford Upon Avon so am looking for a cheap mooring that has access to the sea and isn't to far away. I have searched for information on buying moorings etc on google and this forum, but they don't seem to be advertised as such. The only one I came across is on eBay:
River Exe deepwater mooring.
Ideal for keel boats. Licensed for boats up 41ft loa and 19tons. This is always subject to propper maintenance by an approved contractor. I have had the mooring serviced every year except 2015 as it has been used and the top chain and bouys are in storerage. The four main chains and anchors are safely on the river bed with a marker float attached. The ground at this site provides very good holding. The mooring Does NOT dry out and has over 2m depth.
Approx 1/2 a mile north of starcross jetty. Quiet between bouys 18 and 25.
Serviced by Powderham castle approved agent and lifted each winter. Gear currently in winter storage.
Annual licence payable to Powderham castle. This year is £9.40 per foot. Transfer fee payable to Powderham is £185
My question are:
1. if I can't find what's available to buy or rent how do you compare any moorings for price and type and how do you get them? For instance the one above it maybe the bees knees?
2. using the above as an example. Is there then a set season for some moorings which is eg 1st May to 31st oct and then you must get off it.
3. the £9.40 per foot is a yearly payment but is effectively for 6 months use??
4. is maintenance by an approved contractor is that expensive? And is another yearly cost? Or is that normally part of the £9.40 per foot charge.
5. I dive regularly and would be quite able to check my own moorings is that ever possible?
6. if I wanted to move to another mooring am I obliged to keep paying the yearly fee until I sell it to someone else??
7th and final question is, I have a tender so would prefer a deep water mooring so I can come and go whenever. I found being at Bateson creek in Salcomb on a drying out mooring very difficult, obviously getting out and back on the mooring becomes a nightmare. But when I looked at the above deep water mooring on the navatronics app on my iPad it looks as if in practice although it's a deep water mooring you can't always get out to sea because it looks as if the route out becomes to shallow? So does anyone have any tips on the pitfalls to look out for?
I would be greatfull for any replies that stop me making an expensive long term mistake. I like cheap and cheerful, and am self reliant like many others on this forum so do not need much other than the right location. Thank you. Bremar

srp

Visit site
You can't beat feet on the ground and local knowledge when it comes to moorings. I think you have to first decide where you want to base your boat, and whether you need a drying or a deep water mooring, and what access you need (dinghy or pontoon). Then it's a question of researching local boatyards, fishing clubs and sailing clubs to see who has mooring space available. Club moorings are likely to be a bit cheaper than private ones. You might also get in touch with the local council - for instance moorings at the Folly (Isle of Wight) and at Warsash are council-owned and rented, and so much cheaper than nearby private yard ones.

I would think that most people renting out moorings would prefer to do their own inspection and maintenance. Whether they charge you extra for that work is up to them - I haven't paid any extra for that on any mooring I've had. Also a mooring for a 41' boat is going to be more expensive than one for an 18' boat. Seasons vary for moorings - my current mooring is all-year round and my last ran from March-Oct but with a reduced winter rate option.

Maybe more detailed information here (I've only looked at the Exe, but a Google search for clubs in the Salcombe area will probably get you similar leads):
http://www.visitmyharbour.com/harbours/channel-west/exmouth-river-exe/expanded.asp
http://www.exe-sailing-club.org
http://www.lympstone.org/category/sailing-club-2/
http://www.topsham-sc.org.uk

Lodesman77

Visit site
No fixed answers, every situation is different, so you'll have to ask the same questions each time. In any location there are often several mooring providers, local boatyards/marinas/local sailing clubs etc and you'll have to find out who and ask them directly.

So first decide where you want to sail, then focus your search...

ronsurf

Visit site
There are summer moorings available in the Cattewater in Plymouth. They are pretty cheap, iirc around £200 per annum. Not exactly local though.

Joining the right sailing club can be a good way to find a mooring, either the clubs or by word of mouth

Corribee Boy

Visit site
That mooring's right next to the one my boat's on (though I don't actually own it).

It's in a deep pool, and you can get your boat in and out at most stages of the tide but it's worth bearing in mind the relatively high tidal speeds at the mouth of the river, not just the depth at the bar.

Access to the river can be made a variety of ways but the SFCC pontoon might be best: budget a couple of hundred for membership, dinghy storage, etc.!

I don't think we're limited in our seasonal use, though for practical purposes my insurance means I lift the boat.
Mooring maintenance costs will vary with mooring complexity and the wear and tear it's suffered: I budget for a couple of hundred PA.

doug748

Visit site
I think the others have the right idea, first decide which area you would like, then home in on that.

As you will be some way from the boat I suggest that a maintained mooring would be best for you. They are often controlled by clubs who undertake all the essential maintenance, leaving you one less thing to worry about, though you may be expected to get involved in some working parties in smaller clubs.

Given your situation South Wales could be the least expensive option. If you do buy a mooring the costs include: Essential inspection and maintenance, Harbour dues and/or rental fees, Storage for a dinghy, if you need it.
It probably costs me c £1000 pa in a not particularly expensive area.
I could get a fully serviced commercial mooring for c £2000 pa or a fore and aft local club mooring for c £500pa.

Many harbour authorities require certification which you cannot realistically do yourself. Attending to moorings is cold, wet, dirty, heavy work for which you really need a workboat. Much easier to pay for it.

If you do go ahead with considering the Starcross mooring here is a handy, controllable webcam:

http://www.starcross-fcc.com/webcam/

So you could check out your boat on the mooring, very handy -)

bremar

Visit site
Thank you for the replies.
1. My preferred area is down south ish because my wife and I have friends in that direction.
2. Good point about sailing clubs and I suppose the fees may be worth it if moorings are a bit cheaper. I will contact the sailing clubs round the "river exe" tomorrow. I will also contact the powderham estate. I never thought about contacting actual mooring owners. From what Corribee boy said it might not be a bad location to start. Also I will have a look at Cattewater in Plymouth. I just want to get to grips earlier rather than later with a summer mooring.
3. Back to my original question 7 if you take on a mooring are you stuck with it until you sell it as appears to be the case with the one for sale on river exe.?
4. Really good point about speed of tide. Didn't consider that when thinking of the river exe mooring. When I was at Salcome I was able to come and go against the tide with my 5 HP Yamaha 2 stroke. I spoke to the chandlers in Swansea and they said my 18ft could struggle there as the tide will often move at 7 knots ( max for my 18ft appears to be 5 knots).
5. I guess before deciding, you' guys are right, a visit and search is probably best.
6. I'm open to anywhere including Plymouth (I dive there too). If I'm not towing the boat it's all doable for a weekend.
7. A final question to Corribee boy. What did you mean when you said .....though I don't actually own mine? Does that mean you rent it for more than the annual £9.40 per foot mentioned in the advert. And actually from the advert and is this normal would I have to pay for a 41 foot boat even tho mine is 18 ft.
Thanks again it's been very helpful so far.
Bremar.

Tranona

Visit site
Very few people actually own moorings. You are responsible for the upkeep which can be difficult, particularly as you don't live locally. Renting is the better option as usually they are maintained and you do not have a commitment for more than a season so you can move elsewhere if you don't like it or want to change your cruising grounds. Clubs are generally cheaper than commercial moorings and often have dinghy parking which can be an issue.

As suggested, decide on an area and investigate joining a club, not only for the mooring but also potentially the social side.

oldharry

Visit site
1. If you buy rather than rent a mooring, you will have to do all the maintenance yourself. Not so easy when its several hours drive away!
2 If you buy a mooring its yours until you either sell it (and get your money) or abandon it, and lose your money.
3 You will have a much bigger choice if you rent either from the Harbour Board of your choice, or a local Boatyard. Down here in Chichester, Conservancy moorings for a half tide are around £600 a year. You can hire for shorter periods, but the cost rises quickly. Boatyard moorings come at much the same price. If you want deep water in Chi be prepared to pay from £800 a year up, depending on location for your size of boat. A look at CHC website gives all the details.
4 Dont forget you will need a dinghy to get out to the mooring. You will need somewhere to store it, and that will cost money (you could carry an inflatable, but thats more gear to carry from the car, plus inflating time when you could be afloat!)

5. Location: Chichester is closer to Stratford than Plymouth or Exeter: consider travelling time (particularly M5 jams in summertime!), and fuel costs. Also car parking while you are afloat, which can be expensive at any reasonable distance from the water (lugging all your gear down to the water etc).

Just some thoughts from 50 years of doing it... Now I live by the sea 1.5 miles from the mooring, and have my own.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Very few people actually own moorings. You are responsible for the upkeep which can be difficult, particularly as you don't live locally.

It depends very much on where you are. On the Clyde and in Scotland generally many (most) moorings are individually owned, normally through moorings associations. I gather that's less common in England, though. Maintenance is a skoosh, as we say here - I bung a contractor a hundred quid every spring and he does what's needed. This year was three hundred as the riser had to be replaced. On top of that I pay the Crown Estate £40 pa and another £5 to join the moorings association. Overall I budget £200 per annum for mooring.

Corribee Boy

Visit site
I've borrowed the mooring from another forumite: I'm now responsible for the cost of ground rent and maintenance, rather than her. If she left it empty she'd still be paying for the rent, so the arrangement suits us both.

Mooring maintenance isn't an issue (except financially) as there are several companies that'll do this, but the Exe doesn't have good self-launching facilities for larger trailer-sailors, perhaps due to the railway embankments that prevent access, so you might need to allow a bit more for craning in by a boatyard such as Trout's at Topsham.

Membership of the Starcross Fishing and Cruising Club will provide dinghy and engine storage, even though you'll often find yourself motoring upriver against the tide to reach your mooring as you'll be wanting to leave the river on a falling tide, and vicky verky. PM me if you're serious about the river and I'll talk you through what little I know.

Fimacca

Visit site
I am in the exe, and like the options of up river, or out to sea when weather is mixed. I rent my mooring which gives me change options should I want to move elsewhere. The local newsie and chandlery in exmouth has lots for rent in window ads - but always check with the mooring authority before parting with cash. Also offer less than they want, chances are they have been empty for a while. Also check out the depth they claim you may have - estuaries change a lot and I was 'had over' one season. Parking is pretty rubbish in exmouth, weekdays really only unless you pay......
AND , you do live quite a distance away...... good luck.

bremar

Visit site
Thank you all for your help. Over the next few weeks before as I will visit star cross for a look, however Having spoken to the chap at the Chichester, Conservancy moorings and revisited ktl vids Chichester is favourite with my son and I (he owns half the boat and can actually sail,unlike me). They had some suitable 3/4 moorings available which are tempting. He told me tho there was no chance of walking though the mud, so you are stuck, either on the boat or on dry land when it drys out.
Thanks again
Bremar.

alahol2

www.troppo.co.uk
If you are looking for a reasonably permanent mooring, ie more than just one summer, then I could suggest you should look at Portchester Sailing Club at the top of Portsmouth harbour (just outside Port Solent).
It costs me roughly £650 a year for club membership, fore-and-aft deep water mooring (position), winter storage, dinghy storage, on-site parking and clubhouse/bar/food etc. There is a one day work-duty requirement (or, I think, £150 waiver). The mooring is my own so I have to buy the bits, make it up, lay it and maintain it. The club has a mooring barge and it's a case of getting a group of folks together to assist. Often an old mooring comes up for sale at a sensible (£200-£300) price. There are deep water and half/three quarter mooring places available. Moorings can be used all year if required. The slipway may be suitable for you to launch/recover at high tide. There may be a waiting list for winter storage. It's very much a DIY club and is looking to take on new members.
Website here... http://portchestersc.org/

MikeCC

www.allGadgets.co.uk
Moorings in lower part of the Exe are managed by LEMA - Lower Exe Mooring Authority

See also Exe Estuary Management Partnership website.

As mentioned before, most are advertised locally on noticeboards and in windows. None of the sailing clubs on East side of Exe have their own moorings. Lympstone Harbour is local residents only.

Exeplorer Water taxi from Exmouth operates 8am to 7pm during high season.

oldharry

Visit site
Thank you all for your help. Over the next few weeks before as I will visit star cross for a look, however Having spoken to the chap at the Chichester, Conservancy moorings and revisited ktl vids Chichester is favourite with my son and I (he owns half the boat and can actually sail,unlike me). They had some suitable 3/4 moorings available which are tempting. He told me tho there was no chance of walking though the mud, so you are stuck, either on the boat or on dry land when it drys out.
Thanks again
Bremar.

True of all the CHC moorings, but Wyche marine at Dell Quay has some half tide moorings which are accessible on foot (though wellies are needed!) I had one for many years till I acquired my own mooring in the harbour (which is in deep mud). You need to specify you want to be able to get aboard at LW if you contact them as some of their moorings are in deep mud. Have PMd you.