Hood Stowaway furling main solenoid question

timmygobang

www.todayiboughtaboat.eu
I had to disconnect the power supply to my furling main, and subsequently lost the pictures that I took before removing the cables some time ago.

Could anyone identify what this, and what it does so I can have a better understanding of my system, and how to wire it back up.

I presume these are 4 12v solenoid, and are in series? so either outputting 24v or 48v to the main furler.

Currently when I press the furl button, I hear a click , and 12v power is lost to the boat for 1 second. No furling motor sounds are made.

Any help would be greatly appreciated so I can tick another job off the list.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_2550.jpg
    IMG_2550.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2551.jpg
    IMG_2551.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2552.jpg
    IMG_2552.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2549.jpg
    IMG_2549.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2548.jpg
    IMG_2548.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I had to disconnect the power supply to my furling main, and subsequently lost the pictures that I took before removing the cables some time ago.

Could anyone identify what this, and what it does so I can have a better understanding of my system, and how to wire it back up.

I presume these are 4 12v solenoid, and are in series? so either outputting 24v or 48v to the main furler.
No. They are not in series, they are all 12v in and out, you can't wire 2 solenoids together to make 24v.
Currently when I press the furl button, I hear a click , and 12v power is lost to the boat for 1 second. No furling motor sounds are made.

Any help would be greatly appreciated so I can tick another job off the list.

Thanks in advance
To turn the motor one way you need to close the bottom right and top left solenoids, to turn the other way you need to close the bottom left and top right solenoids.

The solenoids look to be wired correctly.

It's not clear how the terminal block is wired.

Alex_Blackwood

Visit site
No. They are not in series, they are all 12v in and out, you can't wire 2 solenoids together to make 24v.

To turn the motor one way you need to close the bottom right and top left solenoids, to turn the other way you need to close the bottom left and top right solenoids.

That bullet connector cable looks a tad dodgy! Some broken strands?? :(

timmygobang

www.todayiboughtaboat.eu
Hi Rainbow

Hi thanks this was really helpful. I wasn't sure what I was looking at, and now I do :)

For anyone else stumbling across this post. This is called an H-Bridge

H-bridge - Wikipedia

I was able to manually activate 2 sets of solenoids, and then the other two to see the polarity change, so that works.

This chap has created 2 videos on dismantaling the furler

as I'm not sure if the motors 12v or 24v, I'll pull it out and have a look.

Other threads that may be of interest