Home Made Volvo Penta 2003 Instrument Panel

brccd

Visit site
Re: Pt2 - DIY Volvo Penta 2003 Instrument Panel

thanks for that link...I am interested in the solution with the arduino!
Bert

simonfe

Visit site

hello simonfe,
Hi, I know this is an old thread...I am having issues with my panel! Started looking at the schematic...and am thinking of re-doing it as well. Looks like you worked it all out however! Any chance on getting the info on your setup with the arduino?
Thanks,
Bert

Hi Bert, yes happy to help what do you need to know?
Simon

billcole

Visit site

Hi Bert
After my VP2002 suffered a permanent failure I have a few bits and pieces left over including a spare alarm lamp module which I'd be happy to sell.

Bought at a boat jumble a few years ago from someone who never got round to fitting a second control position on a motor boat, so it may never have been used, although it is missing one bulb which I used as a replacement when I needed one for my original panel . PM me if you're interested.

Bill

brccd

Visit site

Hi Bert
After my VP2002 suffered a permanent failure I have a few bits and pieces left over including a spare alarm lamp module which I'd be happy to sell.

Bought at a boat jumble a few years ago from someone who never got round to fitting a second control position on a motor boat, so it may never have been used, although it is missing one bulb which I used as a replacement when I needed one for my original panel . PM me if you're interested.

Bill

Hi Bill,
Thanks. I am in the US...so postage would probably equal cost of new here?!
I might have a solution, rebuilding the panel with a microcontroller....another project!

Regards,
Bert

billcole

Visit site

Hi Bert
I didn't realize where you were, ( mind you, unless VP USA are a lot cheaper than VP Europe then the postage probably wouldn't buy you a new one !)
Good luck with the project.
Bill

Gallivanter

Visit site

Bill
Do you still have the alarm module for sale? My engine module has just failed and I am looking for a replacement or decide to build one myself as per this thread.

Geoff

rog.thomson

Visit site

Hello,
I came across this old thread when researching. I too am writing an Arduino program to take the place of my VP control module. I'm interested in how you implemented it. I can't get any of the photo links to work but is there any information you can share eg via PM?

Frankklose

Visit site

I would like to know from where you got the blue enclosure (box). I have a 2003T which had lots of problems. Added an oil pressure gauge and a digital water temperature gauge. Since I have no warning signal if oil pressure is lost i am in the process of adding an Arduino microprocessor which will monitor oi pressure, temperature and turbo temperature plus I am thinking of adding a water flow sensor in the seawater pipe. Got the programm modules already working.
My Moody 34 is based in Poland and I am 775 km away from the boat...(I live near the Dutch border). Therefor its difficult for the mechanical work and I think for quite some time where to place the micro. The blue box is the best solution what I have seen.
Just for interest the temperature stays steady at 2300 rpm´s at 74.6 plus minus .3 degrees for 10 hours on the 2003T. I did a long canal journey (Emmerich to Stettin 800km). last year. I had a number of problems with the cooling system in the past with the sh***2003T and therefore monitored the engine. It was my luck, that I monitored it. In Hannover I sucked a plastic bag.. the temperature raised to 80 degrees and there was no fresh water to the engine. It was early enough to sort out the problem. The original Volvo sensor is set to 92 degrees……Early last year had a blockage to the turbo cooling and temperatur of the turbo was risen to 200 degrees and water temperature was only 80 degrees (volvo has set the alarm at 92 degrees……).
That the reason I want all the sensors plus micro.

Last edited:

simonfe

Visit site

Hi, I printed the the blue box with a 3D printer, I designed it on 3D CAD I will look to see if I can find the CAD data.

Have you considered fitting an exhaust temperature sensor?
My original plan was to fit this but have yet to do it, from what I have read the exhaust temperature rises MUCH more rapidly that the water temp so is a better/quicker way to detect overheat and prevent engine damage.

Simon

Frankklose

Visit site

You might be right with the exhaust temperature. But it would mean to cut a hole into the exhaust pipe. I have on order one of the high temperature sensors MAX6675 in China, the probe could be mounted into the exhaust hose. Yesterday I played with one of the one wire bus sensors 18DS20, works well, but only up to 127 degrees. I´m also fiddling with PWM to the instruments at the moment.
The cooling problem was caused by the previous owner. He dropped a gasket ( Thermostat opening) into the cylinder head. I applied air from the dive bottle (200bar) to the thermostat casing and lots of small bits came out of the turbo. We pieced it together and got 90 % of gasket, the rest we have not found, they might be somewhere and most likely too small. The pieces where everywhere (200bar).....
I was very surprised that the temperature (74 degrees) of the engine stayed within halfe degree over such a long time (several hours).

Last edited:

14knots

Visit site

Hi, I printed the the blue box with a 3D printer, I designed it on 3D CAD I will look to see if I can find the CAD data.

Have you considered fitting an exhaust temperature sensor?
My original plan was to fit this but have yet to do it, from what I have read the exhaust temperature rises MUCH more rapidly that the water temp so is a better/quicker way to detect overheat and prevent engine damage.

Simon
Hi,

I'd like to build the Arduino solution, one for my dad's 2002 with a dead alarm unit and one for myself. I have a MD2010D and we've had so many cooling issues (the most recent one was caused by tiny mussels living in the through hull in the saildrive), that I'd really like to add an exhaust temp sensor as well. Could you please share the Arduino code and how it's plumbed into the sensors?
Would be of massive help, thanks!
Rob

simonfe

Visit site
Hi,

I'd like to build the Arduino solution, one for my dad's 2002 with a dead alarm unit and one for myself. I have a MD2010D and we've had so many cooling issues (the most recent one was caused by tiny mussels living in the through hull in the saildrive), that I'd really like to add an exhaust temp sensor as well. Could you please share the Arduino code and how it's plumbed into the sensors?
Would be of massive help, thanks!
Rob
I've attached some files, shout if you need some explanation as the circuit is a pretty crappy sketch but you should be able to work out what I did!
Simon

Attachments

• Volvo_Penta_Inst_Panel.jpg
    Volvo_Penta_Inst_Panel.jpg
    444.1 KB · Views: 106
  • VP_engine_1.02.txt
    5.1 KB · Views: 73

robbie77

Visit site
Hi Simon,
Thanks a lot for the info!

I couldn't quite work out how you're connecting to/from alternator 61? Did you mean that the N/C switch is the alternator? How is the supply to 61 for energising the stator?

What do you mean with "001V" and "0061", written in blue?

Robert

MagicalArmchair

Visit site
Thank you for your kind offer Magical Armchair(y)
"Fortunately" I already have one that's fried, so I have enough to dissect for now. Cheers!

Roger that, let me know how you get on and if it transpires you need this one. I follow this with interest, as mine was acting very strangely (glowplug and oil light not illuminating and alarm test not working). It would be interesting to see a home created version of this.

simonfe

Visit site
Hi Simon,
Thanks a lot for the info!

I couldn't quite work out how you're connecting to/from alternator 61? Did you mean that the N/C switch is the alternator? How is the supply to 61 for energising the stator?

What do you mean with "001V" and "0061", written in blue?

Robert
Hi Robert, I can't honestly say what the numbers are so probably ignore them... you need to put the relay coil in place of the lamp in the field coil as shown on the right. The relay contacts give you detection of alternator failure, eg fan belt failure.
Simon

DeFries

Visit site
Pt2 - DIY Volvo Penta 2003 Instrument Panel

Following a whole tale of woe and frustration (see http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?406071-DIY-volvo-penta-instrument-panel), I decided not to spend the £200+ to get a replacement module, and with the help of circuit diagrams and some emails from the thread above, I set out to make my own, despite having not made any circuits since I was at school (a while ago).

All the components came from Maplins. No veroboard was in stock so I used plain board and pins.

I was unsure of the component wattages required so I hope I have erred on the side of caution.

The resistors are wire wound. I could not get a zenner diode of the right voltage (3.3v) at anything execpt low wattage, so I clustered 4 together in parallel.

I beefed up D1 as it is the main power into the circuit.

I took the original VP circuit diagram provided by CEPD, and added / modified it. My VP 2003 does not have glow plugs so there is one light redundant. I have added a circuit (the Aux circuit) to use that bulb for a switched (to negative) output from a cheap chinese ebay programmable temperature sensor which will get mounted on the exhaust.

My circuit diagram is below, along with the plan for the build, and a front and back photo of the finished board.

It tests out OK at home with a 12v bench supply.

It will get fitted to the boat tomorrow.

I am assuming I will not be able to recycle the 4 x bulb cluster as they are an integrl part of the broken module and it is all potted in, so I have instead gone with 4 x 4w BA9 bulbs and holders: I reckon the holders will fit somehow behind the coloured lens for the warning lamps. I will post some pics when this part is sorted.

So if you have a dodgy VP Control Panel, this is how to make your own and save several hundreds of pounds !! Enjoy.

View attachment 44960

View attachment 44959

View attachment 44957

View attachment 44958