Holyhead Marina

FullCircle

Visit site
From RNLI-

[h=3]'Considerable damage' to marina[/h]
Holyhead Marina has taken a bit of a battering during last night's weather.
The RNLI says it had to move its all weather lifeboat to a safer berth in the inner harbour area.
"There is considerable damage and disruption at the marina, so for now we will stay berthed within the inner harbour, ready to respond (slower than usual, but able) to a shout," a spokesman said.

Skylark

Visit site
That's not good to hear. Hope its not too serious for those affected. HH is well protected from all winds except easterlies, as I'm sure you know. My wife has got off the boat, walked along the snaking pontoons and slept in the car on more than one occasion when an easterly is blowing. Our last boat sustained damage in an easterly when the pontoon finger tried to climb the top sides. Goodwill from the marina, they repaired the grp without quibble. One forumite, now migrated south, was famously stranded aboard his boat for 36 hours, sailing club moorings, when even the launch would not put to sea. I've just tried to call Geoff but it went into answerphone. Please post if you or others have an additional info.

Yellow Ballad

Visit site
28471949_10155653370578423_387645076812200710_n.jpg

Taken from

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10155653370698423&set=pcb.10155653370788423&type=3

Must be very upsetting for the owners and locals :(

savageseadog

Visit site
That's not good to hear. Hope its not too serious for those affected. HH is well protected from all winds except easterlies, as I'm sure you know. My wife has got off the boat, walked along the snaking pontoons and slept in the car on more than one occasion when an easterly is blowing. Our last boat sustained damage in an easterly when the pontoon finger tried to climb the top sides. Goodwill from the marina, they repaired the grp without quibble. One forumite, now migrated south, was famously stranded aboard his boat for 36 hours, sailing club moorings, when even the launch would not put to sea. I've just tried to call Geoff but it went into answerphone. Please post if you or others have an additional info.

The owner and manager won't be available, I understand they' might be in Hospital. If your boat's in there it's a gonner.

Skylark

Visit site
The owner and manager won't be available, I understand they' might be in Hospital. If your boat's in there it's a gonner.

Bloody hell. I've just seen a video clip taken a couple of hours ago and it resembles the recent Caribbean hurricane damage. Recognised a few boats, too. Dreadful news for all. Selfishly, I've just called Penryn and they were not affected by the easterly. My boat is too beamy for the HH travelhoist so I have to winter elsewhere.

Please keep posting if you hear any more about Geoff, Ed and others' welfare. Terrible news.

Laysula

www.stevehuntdrivinginstructor.co.uk
This is very sad to see. We spent several years at Holyhead on both the marina and the moorings aboard Blue note 2. And yes we did spend 36 hours aboard during a storm on one of the moorings. Fortunately the wind was from the West so we were a lot more protected. We did turn up one Saturday morning in t it could have been very different, if anyone had been staying aboard the decision to abandon ship and sleep in the car could have come too late. I just hope that Ed and Geoff can resurrect the marina and get it all operational in the not too distant future.

Saraband

Visit site
Agreed that this is very sad and just fortunate that no-one hurt.

I know the continued interest in having a marina at Holyhead but as many of the harbour users know, whilst the harbour is an important place of refuge, that should not be confused with being a place without big waves or swells! When there were just moorings it wasn't uncommon to be able to get onto a mooring but then to be stranded on the boat for a day or two afterwards until safe to come ashore. Easterly gales, as last night, were the worst but very lumpy nights not unknown from other directions. Replacing moorings with anchored pontoons doesn't change that issue!

Whilst recognising that people's livelihoods are linked to the marina, I hope serious consideration is given to what can be done to reduce the impact of waves on the pontoons before there is any decision just to replicate what has just failed.

mainsail1

Visit site
It appears to me that many marinas around the UK think they are safe without a solid breakwater.
This again proves the point that pontoons without full protection are an accident waiting to happen. Perhaps insurers need to insist on the right protection.

TSB240

Visit site

TSB240

Visit site
It appears to me that many marinas around the UK think they are safe without a solid breakwater.
This again proves the point that pontoons without full protection are an accident waiting to happen. Perhaps insurers need to insist on the right protection.

Holyhead is pretty well protected from most directions by a solid breakwater but a force 12 from the east is exceptional. The harbour is more open in that direction and quite a big fetch can result.

There are plans for a new marina which would effectively shorten the potential fetch and give more protection.
I only hope that the report of the marina manager and assistant being in hospital is not bad news. They used to offer a great service to all visitors and I hope the operation can recover for the new season. I know our club and other local organisations will try to do as much as possible to support them if and when they get everything back in place for visitors.

[3889]

Visit site
I only hope that the report of the marina manager and assistant being in hospital is not bad news. They used to offer a great service to all visitors and I hope the operation can recover for the new season. I know our club and other local organisations will try to do as much as possible to support them if and when they get everything back in place for visitors.

+1
I visited Holyhead for the first time in a decade last year and felt there was a lot of effort being made in making visitors feel welcome. I hope this sad event catalyses the marina's development.

mainsail1

Visit site
Holyhead is pretty well protected from most directions by a solid breakwater but a force 12 from the east is exceptional. The harbour is more open in that direction and quite a big fetch can result.

There are plans for a new marina which would effectively shorten the potential fetch and give more protection.

I hope the money can be found to provide a few thousand tons of rock, dumped in the right place, to protect it. If not it is only a matter of time before this accident occurs again.

Skylark

Visit site
I only hope that the report of the marina manager and assistant being in hospital is not bad news.

Hi Steve,

Geoff is quoted as saying “luckily no one has been hurt but this one has absolutely destroyed us”

Ref northwaleschronicle.co.uk “staff risking life and limb as Storm Emma sinks boats in HH marina”. I don’t know how to post a link from an iPhone. Worth a read, though.

Last edited:

pvb

Visit site
Ref northwestchromicle.co.uk “staff risking life and limb as Storm Emma sinks boats in HH marina”. I don’t know how to post a link from an iPhone. Worth a read, though.

Well, it's northwaleschronicle if anyone wants to look for it, but here's one pic from their report...