Holidaymakers going to EU caught out by 10-year-passport rule

Bouba

Visit site
I just got a new passport and nothing was added....and looking at the dates on my old one, nothing was added to that either. It’s a non story

wallacebob

Visit site
Lots of warnings when you check in on line. What “passport control” he went through puzzles me. Passports are checked at boarding only going from UK in my experience. Has been talked about for several years.

Neeves

Visit site
My understanding was that the carrier, airline (by extension - ship) was responsible to determine that you had the correct documentation to enter the destination and if you did not have the correct documentation, as defined by the country in which you land, that the carrier was responsible for your repatriation (for which I assume they would expect, demand, financial reimbursements for the costs).

Our documents, passports, are checked on departure, and are checked rigorously wherever we arrive in the foreign place. (and checked just as rigorously when we return home.

Most carriers, or at least airlines, do suggest that your passport allows you to return with 6 months validity (or more important allows you to remain in the 'other' country for upto within 6 months of the passport expiry). Which effectively means a 10 year passport is really only good for 9 and half years.

I once arrived, early 80's, in China with the incorrect visa. My visa allowed arrival in a specific city and I had arrived in a different one. This was only discovered when I had arrived and had checked into a hotel. The discussion was concluded with the simple statement - if my visa was correct I had not arrived. Thus I was not in China and no-one including me had broken any rules. This decision was passed to my minders and I stayed, unmolested, for about 4 weeks and then went back to the UK.

Things have, probably, changed since.

But whereas your place and date of birth remained fixed, for most people :), the visual image after about 10 years (when the original image might have been 'complimentary') surely needs refreshing - it is difficult to expect that image as part of the passport has any validity. If the image dates - its either irrelevant or needs refreshing updating.

Jonathan

Last edited:

Martin_J

Visit site
Our UK passports were valid for more than ten years if you applied in the nine months leading up to the expiry date. .

This is what could catch you out now if you have a passport that commenced March 2014 but expires in November 2024 for example.

You'd still have more than six months to go on it if you tried to go abroad now... but it's not apparently valid in some other countries (because it doesn't follow their ten year rule).

st599

Visit site
Most carriers, or at least airlines, do suggest that your passport allows you to return with 6 months validity (or more important allows you to remain in the 'other' country for upto within 6 months of the passport expiry). Which effectively means a 10 year passport is really only good for 9 and half years.
That's not the issue here. The EU and USA only recognise passports as valid up to 10 years from date of issue as per International agreements, the UK issued passports wiith 10 years and 9 months of validity.

Sandydog2

Visit site
Uk didn't stop adding extra validity until September 2018 so it's going to be catching people out for another 5 years.

Mine was issued in November 2015 and expires in July 2026, so I can travel out on it up to November 2025. If the expiry was, say, January 2026 I'd have to return by October 2025.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Doesn't matter how often this is publicised, some folks never watch or read the news and will be caught out, along with those who are charged £60 at the gate to put oversized cabin bag(s) into the hold. Booking in on-line process is at fault in a way, they only ask for passport expiry date, no start date which could flag a warning to advise passengers they need to renew passport before travel.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Uk didn't stop adding extra validity until September 2018 so it's going to be catching people out for another 5 years.

Mine was issued in November 2015 and expires in July 2026, so I can travel out on it up to November 2025. If the expiry was, say, January 2026 I'd have to return by October 2025.

No you can't. Your passport needs to have been issued less than 10 years before your departure date, and be valid for three months after the final day of your holiday.