Historical whereizit.

dgadee

Visit site
I've had a glass negative for years, which probably came from somewhere in NI but maybe not. I've always wondered where it was. There's what looks like a castle in the background, and I don't know which way around the image should be. Any idea?

1587218423870.png

Last edited:

dgadee

Visit site
Looks like it. Can't remember too much of Douglas (we usually go into Peel). Was that a castle in the background of the old image?

johnalison

Visit site
Unless my neurons have flipped, a negative will give the correct orientation if viewed from behind, ie by looking through it with the emulsion, or dull, side away from the viewer, as one would with a transparency.

Sybarite

Visit site
I've had a glass negative for years, which probably came from somewhere in NI but maybe not. I've always wondered where it was. There's what looks like a castle in the background, and I don't know which way around the image should be. Any idea?

View attachment 88670
It's not Waterford by any chance with Reginald's Tower in the background?

dava

Visit site
Judging purely by the registration on the vessel in the foreground which appears to be CT which is castle town, Isle of man, I'd say scala is spot on with that recent picture.

grandpaboat

Visit site
My first time taking the ground was in Douglas inner harbour. I was kindly squeezed in against the wall late at night as we where bigger than the other craft alongside. The skipper of a Morecambe Bay Prawner lying astern advised and helped me. We had a few drams until we sat safely aground. In the morning with the harbour dry the Prawner was left hanging off my stern by his line as we hadn't allowed for the discrepancy in our drafts.
All part of life's learning process!

SaltyC

Visit site
I think Scala is correct with IoM but I would have plumped for the first photo being Peel with the Castle in the background. I can't think of a 'large' building in the distance looking out of the inner harbour at Douglas. But I haven't had my IoM fix yet this year.