Here we are again!!!

Neraida

www.neraida.org.uk
You guys are great! Not sure we could do all this boat stuff without you, awwww, aint that sweet (yik)

Alarmingly enough, this boat of ours is devoid of a bilge pump. Sooooooo what one do I want?

She's 28 feet long, very shallow bilge and plastic. How many Litres per min do I want/need?

Needless to say, we don't wanna spend a fortune, but i suppose it is a safety device.....

<hr width=100% size=1>

Jools_of_Top_Cat

Visit site
First off, if you need just one bildge pump you need a manual one, the electric pumps are nice, but must only be used as a backup to the manual.

A whale gusher type should do you fine.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://marinestore.co.uk/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=mrst&Product_Code=0620202&Category_Code=pumpman>a bit like this one</A>

<hr width=100% size=1>Julian

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.topcatsail.co.uk/TC_minicruise_2003_01.html>Cardigan Bay Cruise</A>

oldsaltoz

Visit site
G'day Neraida,

Manual bilge pumps are best mounted in the cockpit, this will allow you pump without leaving the tiller when sailing short handed.

If you have a space between the transom and the rear of the cockpit, install it here, it is not the easiest location to fit a manual bilge pump, but it is the handiest.

Hope this helps. . . . . .

<hr width=100% size=1> Old Salt Oz /forums/images/icons/cool.gif Growing old is unavoidable. However, growing up is still optional.

Ivy

Visit site
I guess the other two posts sum it up perfectly, but may I just add that the best builge pump in the world is "a panicing man with a bucket"

<hr width=100% size=1>

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Have you tried it? This very old statement is totally untrue, in my experience. A couple of years ago I was in the situation that I had about a foot depth of water inside the boat. Baling it out through the companionway with a bucket was extremely strenuous and we were hard pressed to keep going after about 10 minutes. Subsequently we fitted a decent manual bilge pump with 2 inch pipework, mounted where the handle could be operated ergonomically. In our tests we were able to move far more water with considerably less effort and in a shorter time.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Sybarite

Visit site
"How many Litres per min do I want/need?" How big is the hole?

Seriously I would have the bigest pump you can install/afford. It's like insurance you never need it until you do need it. Then you don't want to be blessing yourself for something that has a small flow rate.

Another thing I have read about is to have a T junction on your engine cooling system so that you can pick up water from the inside of the boat - need to have a good filter and one that can be easily deblocked.

John

<hr width=100% size=1>