Help with modernising/fixing Fletcher Arrowflash 147 with 75Hp 2T Mariner

onemanorthree

Visit site
So took it for first good run yesterday, very happy with it, very responsive and got up on plane very easily. I indeed was just tilting it and not trimming the full way.

Only bad part was when my young lady got a little close to land and smacked the prop off a rock!
Is this serious enough for a replacement?

After this she was running at 35Mph at about 5k revs’ and very smooth, but I don't want to run it with the damaged prop' if the engine with get damaged as a result.
If it's not going to directly damage the engine, I'd rather wait to replace in case it happens again, it's a new lake to us so might hit a few things!

PropHit.jpg

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
Yes, new prop called for.

You may consider having it repaired - normally costs half of a new (£50-ish vs £100).

Did you get any rpm + speed readings? If the prop pitch was a little of, it could be adjusted during repair.
The photo shows the prop hub in way that the prop dimensions stamped in can be seen but not read. You need these to decide if or what change.

If you buy a new I really suggest to go for an original (Quicksilver is the parts brand for Mercury and Mariner)

I think people have been happy with prop repairs from Steeldevelopment.co.uk

onemanorthree

Visit site
You need these to decide if or what change.
Not sure what you mean RPM and speed reading, apart from what I had above, at 5k RPM it was running at 30-35MPH, this what you mean?

I think I'd just rather buy a new prop but I not sure I want to get a QS one if it's going to cost a lot more, I'm not massivly intent on getting top speed
and I'll likely sell the boat in a few years.

I'm sure this would do at £100 plus shipping (I'm in Ireland so shipping will be a little more).
14 x13 Outboard Propeller for Mercury Mariner 13" Pitch 75 90HP 100HP 115HP 125

Last edited:

QBhoy

Visit site
Yeah. You definitely need a new one. Not worth repairing a small ally prop like that really. Look for a black max prop the same size and pitch if you think the rpm and performance was suitable and in the range

ChromeDome

Visit site
NO sure what you mean RPM and speed reading, apart from what I had above, at 5k RPM it was running at 30-35MPH, this what you mean?

I think I'd just rather buy a new prop but I not sure I want to get a QS one if it's going to cost a lot more, I'm not massivly intent on getting top speed
and I'll likely sell the boat in a few years.

I'm sure this would do at £100 plus shipping (I'm in Ireland so shipping will be a little more).
14 x13 Outboard Propeller for Mercury Mariner 13" Pitch 75 90HP 100HP 115HP 125
If you reach the recommended rpm range at wide open throttle with your normal GW (which you do at 5000 rpm as per my earlier post), the prop design (3 blades), dimensions (diameter and pitch) is ok. Means the engine is loaded right and runs at it's best.

Agree with QBhoy on the repair/new consideration, but wanted to indicate the option. Buying new will even be faster - and you have the option to get the old fixed later to have a spare.

Last edited:

onemanorthree

Visit site
Thanks, still haven't managed to get up there and look at the prop details, I'll get a new one once I do.

I forgot I had two QS stainless steel props at home, the centre peice is missing, which I can probably buy if needed, or take from my current one?

Thoughts?

Prop19p.JPG
Prop23p.JPG

PropTop.JPG

QBhoy

Visit site
That 23” will be far too much for her for certain. Will also be for the larger gear case than yours.even if it was a rh prop

onemanorthree

Visit site
Just a side thought on the current petrol tanks. They look like original ones; the fuel line clip looks the original ancient. Are these still ok wit use or should I invest in new? I don’t even know how to unclip the fuel lines at this point.

Tank.PNGTank1.PNGTank2.PNG

QBhoy

Visit site
Just a side thought on the current petrol tanks. They look like original ones; the fuel line clip looks the original ancient. Are these still ok wit use or should I invest in new? I don’t even know how to unclip the fuel lines at this point.

View attachment 155838View attachment 155839View attachment 155840
They sure look original. Being picky and as said…with all metal tanks, especially this age…they can rust inside and try and throw flakes through or into your fuel system. Causing blocked filter or restrictions perhaps.
I’d also maybe point out the tie wrap holding the fuel line on, might be good to replace with something more suitable…being fussy perhaps. Throw some new fuel pipe on too, if you’re keen.

onemanorthree

Visit site
So this is the prop numbers. I've no real idea what I'm looking at.

Anybody know how i might see the pitch? One side says 19 and the other 17...20230505_200915.jpg

20230505_200801.jpg

QBhoy

Visit site
So this is the prop numbers. I've no real idea what I'm looking at.

Anybody know how i might see the pitch? One side says 19 and the other 17...View attachment 155920

View attachment 155921
Looks like it’s a 17”. Likely be about spit on for that set up, from what I’m aware around similar boats, engines and gear ratios. Won’t be too far wrong anyway. If she went well enough and within spec, just get another black max 17” suitable for that gear box size. Props listed as suitable will mention a range of something like 75-125hp usually…but not exclusively!

ChromeDome

Visit site
The numbers match a Solas Amita aluminium prop, 13.25 inch diameter and 17 inch pitch. The shaft is 15 spline.
Solas is a popular alternative (less expensive) to the OEM Quicksilver brand, but I'd spend the little extra and get one of those.

Your pusher will know the part number - I wouldn't be surprised if it is 48-77344A45 ;)

Last edited:

onemanorthree

Visit site
This is the Solas I'm being quoted. ALUMINIUM PROPELLER 3 BLADE 14 x 11 So quite expensive anyway compared to UK prices.

Any UK suppliers that might have this that you'd recommend? I can get delivery to Belfast so same cost for delivery as mainland UK.
Is there any value in me getting a prop' guard?

I'm also going to get those metal fuel tanks out, I can put them back in at sale, would this tank work with my boat? FUEL TANK LTS. 22
I'd have to get the fitting etc of course.

I also rewired it yesterday so a fuse board, solar, battery cut of switch and some extra switches, I think it worked out well, I'll send photos later.

Hot Property

Visit site
This is the Solas I'm being quoted. ALUMINIUM PROPELLER 3 BLADE 14 x 11 So quite expensive anyway compared to UK prices.

Any UK suppliers that might have this that you'd recommend? I can get delivery to Belfast so same cost for delivery as mainland UK.
Is there any value in me getting a prop' guard?

I'm also going to get those metal fuel tanks out, I can put them back in at sale, would this tank work with my boat? FUEL TANK LTS. 22
I'd have to get the fitting etc of course.

I also rewired it yesterday so a fuse board, solar, battery cut of switch and some extra switches, I think it worked out well, I'll send photos later.
Unless you are around swimmers regularly then don't get a prop guard

It will hit the boats performance significantly....

ChromeDome

Visit site
14x11 is not identical to the old and consequently won't performas your current..
A Propguard potentially can save the prop but will cost notable top speed. At the cost I'd refrain.

If you search for "48-77344A45" on eBay or Amazon their AI will ensure you get hundreds of offers you don't want if you've set your wind for OEM.
Try your luck there, but be prepared.

Normal Googeling for "48-77344A45" "Black Max" site:.uk -site:.ebay.co.uk -site:.amazon.co.uk will provide more specific results.

For EU sites try "48-77344A45" "€" "Black Max".

Offer seen at https://www.barrus.co.uk/media/3256/mariner-rrp-price-list-23-oct-2017.pdf - just be aware that some prop series are for the Flo-Torq prop hub. Can be reused for many prop, but the first time you need to buy it.

The tank looks fine. Actually can be any as long as you ensure the tank connector match your hose connector.