Help with modernising/fixing Fletcher Arrowflash 147 with 75Hp 2T Mariner

onemanorthree

Visit site
48-77344A45" "€" "Black Max
ok, so I think they penny is dropping on the prop'. The Solas serial is 1411-133-17, which is what they provide for the OEM serial of 48-77344A45, the Mercury part.

You are saying, that although the Solas part might fit the engine, it's not exactly the same as the OEM part, so performance not the same?

I'm trying to look for the OEM part now and get a few options, one is Young Marine, which I think are decent.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/YOUNG-MARI...MTFDQL/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=48-77344A45&sr=8-1
and seems the right spec', but I'll continue to look as I don’t want to have to wait two weeks for delivery.

News on the broken prop' is good, there is a guy on the marina that will fix it for the cost of the materal, he does all the props there and
fixes ones from club members for materal costs, so I'll have a spare.

onemanorthree

Visit site
Re' fuel tanks, I'm looking at alternatives as the current ones don't fit well into the storage aera of the boat.
They're stored over the blidge and the tend not to fit in well, so that's ther reason to replace, so I might have to go for smaller capcity.

tankarea.JPGtankarea2.JPG

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
Young isn't OEM - it's compatible. Chinese marketing, ya know!
Great to have a fix-it guy in the marina.

An OEM with he FloTorq hub (that you buy once only and reuse) seems be around 240 GBP.
https://www.billhigham.co.uk/produc...-bigfoot-command-thrust-outboard-48-77344a45/

Or 189 GBP
Mercury Mariner 17

Money talks, so I do appreciate that a non OEM is about half price hence can be ok value. Edit: I'd advice against composite props for your use.

Did you check Fleabay and the Jungleweb + other sources?

Last edited:

onemanorthree

Visit site
Young isn't OEM - it's compatible. Chinese marketing, ya know!
Great to have a fix-it guy in the marina.

An OEM with he FloTorq hub (that you buy once only and reuse) seems be around 240 GBP.
https://www.billhigham.co.uk/produc...-bigfoot-command-thrust-outboard-48-77344a45/

Or 189 GBP
Mercury Mariner 17

Money talks, so I do appreciate that a non OEM is about half price hence can be ok value. Edit: I'd advice against composite props for your use.

Did you check Fleabay and the Jungleweb + other sources?
ok, so if I buy the prop with the flo torq hub, i'll only have to buy the prop' next time and not the prop' with the hub?

Other reasons for not going to this touble for me is that I dont intend to keep the boat for too long, maybe this year and next, maybe not even next year,
so I'm not looking to over invest in sutff I can't take with me to the next boat.

ChromeDome

Visit site
ok, so if I buy the prop with the flo torq hub, i'll only have to buy the prop' next time and not the prop' with the hub? Yes

Other reasons for not going to this touble for me is that I dont intend to keep the boat for too long, maybe this year and next, maybe not even next year,
so I'm not looking to over invest in sutff I can't take with me to the next boat.

Change of game:
If you intend to sell before long you don't even know if the prop will be right for the next owner. In that light a non OEM would be my choise

onemanorthree

Visit site
I picked up a Solas prop, exact same as was on it, oddly enough, the Original was nearly the same price but I just wanted to get one from the R.o.I in case I had to return it.

I plan to fit it this Friday and finally get boating. Will send updates.

A few more questions.

I have a electric engine, which I plan to use for trolling, but it's not really pushing the boat. Do I lift the main engine out of the water while trying to do this?

Also, I notice that when I start the engine the first time, it starts right away, one go, but if I've turned it off on when out on the water, starting again is not always straight forward.
I need to lift the choke up fully and turn over a few times. My Q is, do I need to put the engine with fuel each time I intend to start? Or should it turn over once warmed up?

ChromeDome

Visit site
You want to reduce drag at much as possible. The a prop is designed to make optimal "grip" in the water, so equally efficient as a brake when stationary. So yes. lift it out of the water!

Warm start: Petrol may evaporate when stopped and the engine is hot. At next start try to pump it and see. If no joy hit the choke and see.

onemanorthree

Visit site
Still ahven't fitted the prop due to time issues, but I wanted to ask a Q about the tachometer.

When I look at the back, there is a wire loose, the red circle, any idea why this is loose or where is should go?
1684838771373.png

onemanorthree

Visit site
So I finally got prop replaced and it's running very well. It gets up on plane really quickly, at about 2500rpm, then just shoots off.

I haven't hit WOT yet, but at 4500 rpms it's runs at 27kts (50kmh). Not sure what WOT is on this engine, will look it up. I feel like it's running really well though.
Engine starts at first punch, even when I've had is anchored for an hour or so while fishing, so I'm happy with it.

There was a beeping on the alarm from the throttle, had a quick look at said it could be low oil.
This is where the oil level was, would this reg's as low? Anyway, I had a ltr on the boat and I put it in and beeping stopped, so I guess it was.
The oil goes down quicker than expected, I guess the mix is 1-50, but I think this was 1/2 full when I got it and I don’t think I've driven it a lot!
1685372170774.png

ChromeDome

Visit site
Right - good luck and take care.

With your normal load the Mariner is to reach the range 4750-5250 rpm at Wide Open Throttle (WOT). Play with the trim and check it if the tacho works - it is the basis for knowing if your prop is right :)

Oil level: Keep the bottle full!

If you suspect it to be defect, a simple solution is to fill both petrol- and oil tank with 4% premixed petrol & oil. That way it will get the oil regardless of taking from one, the other or both tanks

onemanorthree

Visit site
ok, thanks, it is probably ok, I will just keep an eye on the mix. Pretty happy with it overall now anyway.

Just need to join the Fletch club now to help with more specific stuff like seating and decals etc. Want to make it look pretty now!

Plan on making back seat storage area, something like this!
1685541568394.png

Jt1425

Visit site
Hey! Curious how you got on with your boat, was good to read through this thread. Just checking if you ran into anything else worth noting?

onemanorthree

Visit site
Yeah, it's going as expected, currently have a bare boat!

So the floor in the centre had rotted, so I left it for the season with just an extra layer of ply and then some matting.
I'd also put solar power, auto-bilge and some other electric bits and pieces. When I went to go out on it after Xmas (I'd lift the boat in the water)
the steering cable broke. So I just decided to gut the boat and start all over again.

Plan is:
Redo floor - I'm going to cut our the old ply, put in some treated ply and I have fiberglass matting & resin to cover whole floor.
I'm not going to leave a storage area in the centre of the floor as it was before, this cause the weakness in the previous one, so I'll just cover.
Undecided if I'm going to put back original carpet or not. While that looks cool. I think it sells easier with new boat decking EVA foam.

New steeling cable and helm - Currently working on this too (see some other posts on getting cable out and right size replacement).
Helm unit was old and stiff anyway, so having a new one will be great for new owner.

Electrics - Need to redo horn, lights, and gauges. They're all old wiring. I feel comfortable doing this, I can stick them all on a fuse board and do a schematic for new owner.

Seating and storage - I built a storage unit very like above, which raised the back seat and gave a good bit of storage.

I'm getting a guy to cover cushions for me, just the really bad ones, not doing a full refurb.

Engine and fuel - I'm putting in a water separator and giving the engine a clean and service. I've replace the fuel lines and got new connectors.
I bought a new impellor and service kit but I think I'll just give it with the boat and the current one is in great shape and doesn't need replacing this year.

A few other bits, some extra grip patches on the back and refurbing the covers etc and then I'll sell it.
I bought another sail boat and just wont have time to use this one this year, so I'll let it go. Pity as it's a lovey boat and will be a nice runner once I'm done.

1713260100251.png

https://forums.ybw.com/threads/steering-cable-length-issues-14ft-fletcher.607563/