HELP, St Philipsburg, St Maarten, Pilotage , Waypoints

PaulC

Visit site
Hi, can anyone help my son. He has neared an atlantic crossing position 18N 57w, speed 4.5 kts. He has rig damage and is planning to enter St Philipsburg ETA around midnight on Saturday. His original destination was St Thomas but due to damage is having to enter St Maarten. Problem is that he has no charts for St Maarten and a night entry would be very hazardous. Can anyone provide waypoints, pilotage info, lights , bouys, transits etc, to enable a safe passage. He has a sat phone so I can text this info to him. Any help appreciated.Thanks

slavkod

Visit site
Hi,

his direction is app. 270 deg. and distance 342 NM? According to my charts (rev 2001) there is a beacon on St. Maarten south position 18 00.379N and 63 02.563 W. Beacon name is Whitte Kaap Sint Martin covers sectors as follows:

RED 5 deg to 66
White 290 to 5
Green 239 to 290
White 66 to 96
Green 96 to 112

distance 9 NM and FL(4)

Some 5 Nm from the beacon the debth will be 30 m or less. From that point there are islolated rocks . The best is to stay on 18N or less.

When approaching point 18N and W 63 03 he will be able to see another beacon GROOT BAAI, ST. Martin

Sectors 300 to 96 White 15 Nm Fl(2) 10S

From point 18N and W 63 03, he had to turn to heading 348 deg and after 1NM he will be in 6m water in the middle of Groot Baii.
If this is during the night I would anchor and wait for the day light.

There are other beacons in the bay so care should be taken.

Please double check my information. It is taken from tha maps I have and there might be changes that I am not aware of.
All I have written is for information only. Decision is on captain of the boat.

Slavko

slavkod

Visit site
Dear Paul,

again please double check. The directions I gave are not from official Pilot but bearings from maps. Great care have to be taken. There is Bobby Marina&Boatyard in Philipsburg. here is link: BOBY MARINA
and they can give some more information about the bay etc.....

slavkod

Visit site
Dear Paul,

again please double check. The directions I gave are not from official Pilot but bearings from maps. Great care have to be taken. There is Bobby Marina&Boatyard in Philipsburg. here is link: BOBY MARINA
and they can give some more information about the bay etc.....

Slavko

CharlesM

Visit site
Hi Paul

I am afraid my charts are on the boat in st Martin, but I do remember something about a danger beacon between 1 and 2 kilometers south of Groot Baai. This beacon (cannot remember if it is lit, and do think it may be a cardinal mark) marks a danger point and should be kept clear of.

I think it is important that he tries to get in touch with someone in St. Martin. or perhaps he can delay his approach for daylight - perhaps heave to around 40 miles awayy? Remember, he needs to keep clear of st. Barts as well, which has a number of unlit outlying islands/rocks. slavkod has a good idea in your son contacting Bobbys Marina.

Good Luck. Keep us posted.

Charles

PaulC

Visit site
It now looks like a Saturday afternoon arrival. His speed has picked up to 5.5kts, so all should be well. Thank you everyone for your advice and comments. Appreciated. I keep you posted.

slavkod

Visit site
Hi,

I checked on my charts. There is one beacon that is lit (at list according to my charts) Position of the beacon is: 17 59.322N and W63 03.709. It 0.9 miles SW from the turning point I have mentioned in my first mail. Near thet beacon is Proselyte Rif (Man of War) minum debth 4.8m.
If he stays on 18N he will be safe. Debth at the turning point of my first mail is 17m.

Slavko

CharlesM

Visit site
yes - thats right - i remember the name now.

funny - I stayed well clear of the reef as though it would sink me even though my draft is no more than 2m! I guess all the deep water around makes one scary of the shallower bits - wheras other parts one is hapy as long as you have 1/2 meter under the boat.

Charles

PaulC

Visit site
Hi all,

My sons current position is aprox 48nm from St Maarten, slow progress at the end due to very light headwinds. He has advised that they are almost out of fuel, but plugging on to St Maarten. Wind is N 4mph at present so late tonight entry maybe.

PaulC

Visit site
Hi All,
My son arrived in Petersburg, St Maarten this morning @ 0930. Thank you to everyone who responded to my call for help and advice especially SnowLepoard ( Chris ). He will now fuel up and repair ready for the final passage to St Thomas. Hopefully back in the UK next weekend. Thank you again Everyone...Paul C.