Helicopter rescue off Bradwell

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Visit site
I didn't go to the boat this weekend as were trying to do 'family things' but hadn't realised the winds were as strong as F8 on Sat afternoon. It was quite nice at home until it started to rain.

Were they looking for the Raysand channel? If so perhaps a bit late on the tide. Glad they got off OK.

Saw it on the local news last evening - boat was still afloat in Bradwell Marina so presumably no serious damage (unless the picture was just some misc. boat under tow!)

FullCircle

Visit site
Criticised by MCGA for only having 1 GPS!

Whatever happened to eyeball nav?

I remember now, I used to go aground a fair bit more than I do now, but I sailed by the seat of my pants a bit more as you couldnt have a fix every 10 seconds.

Pleased they all got back OK.

Pye_End

Visit site
I don't think the MCA are necessarily saying that 2 GPS ought to be carried, only that navigation should be possible with 1 GPS out of action - ie carry a chart, and resort to traditional navigation is fine.

Perhaps this should be posted on one of the main fora as a fair number of people seem to think that their plotter is indistructable!

Cobra

Visit site
It was a bit breezy Saturday afternoon, but force 8??? Maybe a journalistic force 8, but I would not have thought it much more than a 6...and that was coming back home from a 'bracing' walk along Brightlingsea seafront at about 17.00.

It does make you wonder how far away from the Power Station they were, as walking past Brightlingsea Sailing club, despite the rain, the Bradwell shoreline could still be made out!

Again another call for more use of Mk1 Eyeball in coastal navigation...the GPS should only ever be a back up!

tillergirl

Visit site
Think you're right about the journalistic force 8. Certainly didn't feel that much here. I guess though that once they were blown over the Dengie Flats and grounded, there was little chance of clawing off. I suppose the comment about just 1 GPS doesn't exclude the idea of other forms of navigation like a chart!

Am I the only person here without a chart plotter - and before you say it, yes, I do have a GPS (and I still have a much treasured Decca).

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only person here without a chart plotter - and before you say it, yes, I do have a GPS

[/ QUOTE ] Until 6 or 7 weeks ago I didn't have a chartplotter but now I have one it is WONDERFUL! Singlehanded pilotage has become so much simpler.

[ QUOTE ]
(and I still have a much treasured Decca).

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

tillergirl

Visit site
What is the youth of today coming to!! I remember when......... When I was a boy ........

Remember the tale of Uffa Fox. Woken by a scared crew in a thick fog in the Channel, he was asked what to do. Apparently he said 'anchor, we're just off Cherbourg' When the fog cleared, there it was. When asked how he knew, apparently he said 'I could smell the coal and the call girls". Now that's navigation not your namby pamby........ drip, drip, drip......

Was it dear?

SwedishLass

Visit site
It's all right knowing where you are but it also helps to know which way to turn.

In the fog the other week whilst returning to the Colne from darkest Bradwell one erstwhile soul found the wreck buoy off Mersea stone exactly where it was supposed to be. This is normally a sign to turn left into the Pyefleet. If however you are already heading into the Pyefleet turning left puts you fair and square onto the mudflat..... to scrub off you understand........

Jomo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Am I the only person here without a chart plotter - and before you say it, yes, I do have a GPS (and I still have a much treasured Decca).

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, I too am still in GPS & charts mode. Perhaps I should ask Santa..... Nah, I can't afford his prices yet! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Cobra

Visit site
Nope...refuse to get a chartplotter! Yes, got GPS as a back up, BUT there is something 'warm and friendly' about the feel of charts and a handbearing compass! Mk 1 eyeball navigation worked perfectly well for many, many years...the current splurge of electronic gizmo's is IMHO just pandering to a generation that cannot be bothered! Harrumph!

Mandarin331

Visit site
Wow, I think the worlds moved on without me, just spent last summer getting the hang of a GPS! let alone chart plotters etc etc.

We spent a depressing spring looking at boats with fantastic arrays of electronics, GPS, plotters, radar etc - but the boats themselves were poorly maintained and often unseaworthy, can't help feeling that its better to have a seaworthy vessel, handcompass and a chart.

(But I wouldn't mind a plotter.....Xmas coming?)

Cantata

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
........Am I the only person here without a chart plotter - and before you say it, yes, I do have a GPS (and I still have a much treasured Decca).

[/ QUOTE ]
Certainly not, Roger. We've got a Yeoman, best of both worlds. And we do regular plots. And keep a log going.