heavy weather posts making me nervous

ccscott49

Visit site
Re: No beer in bilge

Oh! they most certainly do make beer! Real ales, mainly in bottles, where it matures quite nicely, champagne type corks, to keep it under control. It has a kick like a BSA 500 fully advanced!

johndf

Visit site
Cabo Finisterre

The dangers of the continental shelf edge in Biscay are well reported, but I think there can be a problem off Cabo Finisterre with NE gales caused by the isobars being squezzed by the topography in the area. I have no first hand experience of this, but having worked in met for a couple of years, I remember often seeing nice anticyclonic conditions here (Jersey) with a moderate northeasterly in Biscay, but a heck of a blow off Cabo Finisterre. Maybe it doesn't extend too far offshore, but if there is this scenario perhaps it is wise to give the Cape a good offing?

Despite that minor bit of gloom, if you're not ready for this trip with your experience, then not many people can be!

johndf

Visit site
Cabo Finisterre

The dangers of the continental shelf edge in Biscay are well reported, but I think there can be a problem off Cabo Finisterre with NE gales caused by the isobars being squezzed by the topography in the area. I have no first hand experience of this, but having worked in met for a couple of years, I remember often seeing nice anticyclonic conditions here (Jersey) with a moderate northeasterly in Biscay, but a heck of a blow off Cabo Finisterre. Maybe it doesn't extend too far offshore, but if there is this scenario perhaps it is wise to give the Cape a good offing?

Despite that minor bit of gloom, if you're not ready for this trip with your experience, then not many people can be!

Best of luck and enjoy it.

PeterGibbs

Visit site
Re: Sail away !

Don't forget to take some music with you - and not all 60's oldies, but something your daughter likes too!

This is what ENZA used on their record-breaking round the world trip to keep the spirits up when the weather is being boring!

PLUS those wonderful instant soups: they keep you alive for hours when cooking is not a funny thought!

The boat is more than capable - Erfolg durch streben - as they say in Giebelstad!

PWG
(38 Bavaria - following you shortly!)

Visit site
I think the September return date is too late given your experience and the light displacement design.

3 years ago I cycled from St Malo down to Spain during September. Half way down the worst September storm for years struck, about 3 nasty lows rolled in over the same number of days.

My advice is lay the boat up in Spain for the Winter then have a pleasant coast hopping return from La Rochelle northwards in year 2.

Given the newish yacht I would also be inclined to test out some lumpy seas to see if anything shakes loose Best find the problems before you are 300 miles offshore.

zefender

Visit site
Re: Ahem 60s music

Since I was about 11 when Sgt Pepper was released, there won't be that many I promise! Not sure The Clash would go down that well either though!

As for instant soups - I hope I never reach such a low culinary point - but since I've not been out that long before, perhaps I will learn to appreciate its merits!

Have a good trip yourself (and given the crew you're going with, thanks for making me feel a dreadful wuss) :)

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
Re: instant soups

Wouldn’t be without them! A cuppasoup makes a nice change from coffee when the stars are out. (My preference is for Tesco’s Asparagus and the ones with the croutons in)
No comment on the music, far too emotive a subject.