Heaving To

PuffTheMagicDragon

Visit site
Sailing mostly single-handed I sometimes tend to go back to my old habit (pre-autopilot) of heaving-to whenever I want to brew some coffee, have a snack, and so on. It has just occurred to me, should I hoist a signal and if so, what letter?
Is it 'M' - My vessel is stopped and making no way through water? (Not necessarily accurate). Or would 'D' - Keep clear of me, I am manouvring with difficulty - be a better choice? This is still not accurate because I wouldn't really be 'manouvring'.
Is there some special signal? Am I forgetting something basic? (premature senility, perhaps) What do you guys think? I'll even humbly accept answers from Blue Dusters (Told you I'm going senile!)

Fair Winds All!

Wally

G

You could always do what a friend of mine who is aging does...he likes to heave to right infront of yarmouth while having lunch..his logic is that they should see the food in his hand and therfore know that he is having lunch and therfore must be hove to....

but i just normaly looked for the backed genoa when a boat isn't moving..and the lack of anybody in the cockpit is usually a good sign as well.

PuffTheMagicDragon

Visit site
Thought about that but I'm inclined to think that it could lead to someone trying to take over command......and THAT would really spoil my lunch!

Wally

billmacfarlane

Visit site
There's enough sailing lawers on these forums to answer this one but to my eyes none of the answers as yet answer the question. To my mind when hove to you are still sailing as you are making way through the water on whatever tack you are on. You are still under command as you have hove to deliberately and you are not manoeuvering with difficulty - far from it.

G

How about vessel restricted in her ability to manouver?
Pete

davel

Visit site
> Am I forgetting something basic?

I think you are, ie that proably 95% of those looking at whatever signal you choose to display wouldn't understand it anyway !
Dave L.

G

anchor ball would have the right effect, to others and to insurance company imho, tho obv not technically correct.

G

I agree with billmacfarlane. You are still sailing and the responsibility is yours to keep a lookout and, if necessary, take any avoiding action to prevent a collision

G

He's Man'ing with Diff'y .... if the coffee's Irish Coffee !!!! and had a few !!!!!

PuffTheMagicDragon

Visit site
You don't miss much do you, Nigel?!?
I wrote 'mostly single-handed'; everybody's assuming that I'm always alone....!
Fair Winds! (preferably in good company)

Wally

iainmillett

Visit site
A quick consultation of my signal code book - ever present at my desk indicates a quick hoist of flag M (Mike) ----- 'My Vessel is stopped whilst I brew up and should be making no way through the water'

Of course you trust that the other fellow can identify flag M as being other than an inverted Cross of St Andrews........

G

I've 'hic' done it 'hic' m'slef !!!!! hic

Now that I have a partner who likes boats .... she normally does the honour and 'nips' below for me !

Cheers
NIgel L