Headstock clamp bushings

Gixer

Visit site
I need to get the bushing replaced in the rudder headstock, It’s the bushing with the bolt for the tiller. Does anyone know anybody in the southeast who could do this? I’m guessing I could go into a local metal fabrication place but would like somewhere recommended. Thanks
A90414B4-80DD-49FD-A231-81B94431E23F.jpeg

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Why do you need it replacing what is wrong with the current one, it looks OK to me but without seeing it its difficult to see the details

Gixer

Visit site
Sorry I didn’t explain it clearly.

That long bolt in the picture on the left hand side with two nuts on the end passes though what looks like a (bronze?) bushing on the ‘headstock’. This is worn and play is now excessive on the tiller. I want to see if the bushing can be replaced, not the whole unit.

Thanks

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I would see if I could push the bush out of the headstock so I could measure the o/d of the bush and the o/d of the bolt would give the inside diameter an the length an do a search the net for a replacement that can be pushed back in.

If the bush is too long, it can be cut off and if the I/d is smaller than the bolt the push can be drilled out to the required size.

A local engineering company could do the job for you or try Dinghyman of this parish

davidmh

Visit site
One way to solve the problem is to get the sleeve driledl out and bushed to suit the long bolt . How much playis there in the bush, You may be able to wrap shim material round the bolt until it fits the bush. Does the bolt rotate when you lift the tiller or does the tiller rotate about the bolt. The shim idea would work if the tiller moves around the bolt, you could make the bolt a tap fit in the bush then.
David MH

DinghyMan

www.ff-systems.co.uk
I could make and fit you a bushing, not down south but I've done plenty of work for people on here - as mentioned above and see site in my sig

Either a brass, bronze, or plastic bushing, may also be worth bushing the section where the long bolt goes through the tiller stainless section as well

Similar to the one below that we made, you can see the white bush which both guides the bolt and holds the stainless tiller attachment section away from the brass section so when you tighten it up it has no slack but can still move
1728233217109.png

Other threads that may be of interest