Headlinings – support posts, and hessian strips?

jcpa

Visit site
Does anyone know the practice for installing vinyl headlinings back in the 1980’s?

My head & side linings (foam backed vinyl) were collapsing. Using Hawkehouse’s double-sided self-adhesive foam (5mm) and standard vinyl, I have successfully replaced the linings in the front and rear cabins, but I now have some issues with the saloon. The sidelinings are OK (similar to the cabins) but the headlining was presumably installed before the boat was rigged; it was installed between the roof and the posts supporting the deck-stepped mast and deck-level block for the keel lift. I could probably have fudged my new headlinings to go around these posts, but with the boat ashore this winter, the mast down and the keel tip resting on the ground, I chose to remove the posts and fit the new headlining as before - to give a neater effect.

However, along the saloon centre line, and athwartships at the front of the hatchway, at the keel lift post, and at the mast post, I found there were 10cm wide hessian webbing strips, seemingly between the vinyl and the now disintegrated foam (in practice I cannot tell if the hessian was under or over the foam – it’s just dust on both sides!). Is it possible the foam was fixed first, and the hessian used as a scrim to cover joints in the foam before fixing the vinyl? Or was the hessian used as a thinner backing instead of foam – for where it would be compressed by the posts. I was already thinking I should omit/shave-down the 5mm foam at the posts - so they will still fit their gaps (I needed to wedge up the roof a bit to get the posts out!).

I should say that the roof vinyl is largely confined to verge areas – and is covered by four varnished plywood panels that can be easily unscrewed to access deck hardware fixings; the hessian is essentially in these verge areas, and maybe there was only ever a thin foam layer too.

So are these hessian strips vital to a good looking job, or should I just use the self-adhesive foam and throw away the hessian strips?

Alternatively, should I clean and re-glue the hessian strips, alone or over the self-adhesive foam? I suspect the texture of the hessian webbing would show through the covering vinyl layer.

I’d be grateful for any constructive advice!
Thanks
John

Concerto

Visit site
John

When Westerly lined the deck head, they did it with the deck upside down before fitting to the hull. I have not come across hessian used as you state, but would have probably been there to give a little extra padding for the ply panels to sit on. You would be best to ask Trafalgar Yacht Services as they used to work at Westerly and hold lots of old records and supply spare parts. http://www.westerly-yachts.co.uk/

OOPS
Just seen you have a Kelt 850 not a Westerly. So not sure what Kelt did.

Tranona

Visit site
There was no standard practice, so you have to go with what you have and replace/repair to make it look neat. You may find vinyl covered ply panels easier to get looking good than trying to replicate the original.

jcpa

Visit site
Thanks for the comments, and I now assume the headlining was indeed placed before the deck was fitted to the hull. I don't really want to refit the hessian - it would need gluing over the self-adhesive foam. However, I do see that it would be a thinner layer. I think 5mm foam plus the 1mm vinyl could make it difficult to squeeze the posts back in - I can only wedge up the cabin roof so much! I'm also not sure how much the 5mm foam will compress up when the mast and keel loadings are imposed - I don't want the cabin roof to distort!
Thanks again
John