Haul out,W.I.

rubbishman

Visit site
I need to anti foul and more importantly have a bronze pin on rudder machined up (not metric thread).Any one have any thoughts re cheap lifts , I'm going Panama wise after so makes sense to stay southish.Ive hauled at grenada before,wasnt impressed,times change though.Im thinking Trini? anyone have any recent doings there?B.T.W. any easy way to tell any kind of bronze from brass.Thanks,C.

TQA

sailingonelephantschild.blogspot.com
Any of the three yards in Grenada could do the job. My choice of the three would be Clarks Court Bay. If they can't turn the pin up themselves there are several machine shops who could .

Carriacou Marine in Carriacou, will be cheaper but make sure Uve the Scandinavian engineering genius is on island as he will be the one to make your pin. This is where I would do the job if it were mine. Lunch to be taken in the Slipway restaurant whomake the best burger in the islands.

Trinidad would also be a possibility. Haul at Power Boats and there are several engineering shops around the boat yard who do that sort of work. NB check to make sure that the VAT which was unwisely introduced has in fact been rescinded. Lunch to be taken in the little roti shack in Power Boats yard. Ask for a buss up roti and save a bit of roti skin for the iguanas.

dansaskip

seabear.uk
Trinidad would also be a possibility. Haul at Power Boats and there are several engineering shops around the boat yard who do that sort of work. NB check to make sure that the VAT which was unwisely introduced has in fact been rescinded. Lunch to be taken in the little roti shack in Power Boats yard. Ask for a buss up roti and save a bit of roti skin for the iguanas.

No experience of yards in Grenada but yes Power Boats In Trinidad is good.

PhilipH

www.sailblogs.com
Currently on the hard at Peake's in Chaguaramas, Trinidad and the selection of marine service providers is very good throughout Chaguaramas - from discussing with other cruisers, Trinidad offers more options and skills than Grenada.

temptress

gbr195t.com
Your choice is Grenada or Trinidad. Much of the same in both. Used to be that Trinidad offered the better options but Grenada had caught up. Prices imo work our about the same either way.... FYI don't expect anything in Panama except Diesel and basic provisions. You can haul at Shelter Bay but the services are limited. Your next boat yard is Taihiti where anything can be done but it is expensive. Some engineering and parts can be had in Nike Hiva beings shipped in from Taihiti so takes some time. Diesel is pretty easy to come by a the way across the Pacific.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
B.T.W. any easy way to tell any kind of bronze from brass.Thanks,C.

If you have two pieces of identical shape, rod would be ideal, in which case bronze will ring whereas brass will not, except that these days both of them are likely to contain a couple of percent of lead, which may remove the difference. I could not find a chemical method.

The best way is by colour - Americans call bronze 'red brass' for good reason, it appears far more red. Compare with a known brass such as a plumbing fitting. Many photos here https://coxengineering.sharepoint.com/Pages/BrassandBronze.aspx

TQA

sailingonelephantschild.blogspot.com
If you go to Trini make sure you do a 'taste of Trini ' tour with Jesse James.

Assuming you are going to sail down to Trini from or passing Grenada make sure you file a float plan with the Trini coastguard using this form.

DOWNLOAD FILLABLE PDF FLOAT PLAN AT THIS URL:
http://www.membersonlymaxitaxi.com/services/float_plan-form.pdf

It can be filed online. Make sure you close it out on arrival.

The Trini authorities are monitoring yachts as they make passage down from Grenada as part of their efforts to combat piracy.

It is also REALLY worthwhile to join the Trinidad Cruisers Facebook page and read this from the files section. I wish I knew this BEFORE I arrived in Chaguaramas.