Haul out costs… quote for half?

CaptainDram

Visit site
New boat owner here. Hauled out for the first time a few weeks ago. Asked the boat yard for a quote to lift out, go in the yard for a week and go back in.

Got a quote and paid up front. Three weeks after going back in I’ve received an invoice for the lift back into the water which was never quoted, is this how it works? Do you generally pay for the lift each way?

I’m minded to challenge it given the whole experience was a bit of a mess also! Yard dropped me back in with travel lift round the wrong way. After trying to move twice they noticed my jib hitting the travel lift. They’d already dropped the straps and had to put them back on dirty all over the fresh wax job. Didn’t even come to clean it as promised!

Jokani

Visit site
I'm afraid so, next time you need to get a quote for both lift out and back in again. I would be wary of challenging minor things if you intend a long-term relationship with the yard. I would probably just suck it up and put it down to experience, or lack thereof.

ylop

Visit site
Most yards have a published price list which will list lift out and launch separately. They may even be different prices (lift out, pressure wash, position on cradle is more time consuming than lift and drop in water).

If you asked for a quote for lift, store 1wk, relaunch and they quoted for lift and store only then I can understand your gripe. I think the strength of you moan would depend how public their prices are and exactly what their quote said.

Tranona

Visit site
Yes lifts in and out are often quoted separately unless they are quoting a fixed deal packages. Really not difficult to read the price list or check before you buy exactly what you are paying for.

KompetentKrew

Visit site
You never win with a boat yard. Every service comes with a charge. Yard near me once on there land basically your a hostage.
Got lifted back in, one of my newly installed seacocks was leaking, so he pulled me back out and put me back on the stands I had just left. The slings didn't come off my boat.

"Sorry I have to charge you twice - to help you out I gave you a 50% discount on the lift out."

William_H

Visit site
As said the quote given will all depend on what you have in writing. If you can prove you asked for out and in quote and they apparently provided the quote as requested then you could reasonably refuse further payment. Even better if they described what they were quoting for. It is possible that some clerk has not realised you were quoted and paid for both and charged again.
On the other hand as said you might have to look for another yard if it all gets nasty. ol'will

Sailing steve

Visit site
You never win with a boat yard. Every service comes with a charge. Yard near me once on there land basically your a hostage.

Exactly how it is.

I'm convinced the rapacious vultures that run my nearest marina would charge for the air you breathe and the sunlight that falls on your solar panels whilst on their premises if they could find a means of metering them.

trapper guy

Visit site
Exactly how it is.

I'm convinced the rapacious vultures that run my nearest marina would charge for the air you breathe and the sunlight that falls on your solar panels whilst on their premises if they could find a means of metering them.
dont be saying that.
we used to say they would tax the air we breathe if they could only figure out the how.
and then along came 'global warming/climate change' and all the 'CO2 is demonic' B/S.

its a shocker to me how many muppets sucked all that right down hook line and sinker.

Bouba

Visit site
Sometimes (and only sometimes) there’s a miscommunication between the yard and the office writing the invoice....so I would go to the office explain that you had a quote that didn’t match the invoice....do it politely and with humor....remember you are only relying on their goodwill...and see what they say. Bearing in mind that you are reliant on these people for ever....and that the yard boss will be a personal friend of every other yard boss on the coast

Beneteau381

Visit site
New boat owner here. Hauled out for the first time a few weeks ago. Asked the boat yard for a quote to lift out, go in the yard for a week and go back in.

Got a quote and paid up front. Three weeks after going back in I’ve received an invoice for the lift back into the water which was never quoted, is this how it works? Do you generally pay for the lift each way?

I’m minded to challenge it given the whole experience was a bit of a mess also! Yard dropped me back in with travel lift round the wrong way. After trying to move twice they noticed my jib hitting the travel lift. They’d already dropped the straps and had to put them back on dirty all over the fresh wax job. Didn’t even come to clean it as promised!
Just had a lift and hold for the night here in Albufeira. €466!

Aeolus

Visit site
The fact that they sent you the invoice three weeks after they had lifted you back in suggests, to me, that there is some confusion at their end. In my experience, unless the yard know you well, they require payment before you depart. In your shoes I would do as Bouba suggests and query it with them.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I have always been charged for a lift out and lift in unless it was a specific deal, e.g. lift out, overnight in the slings, lift in.

Over the years I've learnt to agree everything in writing so there is no ambiguity in what you expect to be done and how much you are paying for that service. But I am an old crusty engineer.

Always useful when somebody tries to slip in another cost and you point them to the last line of your email. 'No additional costs will be paid unless agreed in writing before hand'.

dunedin

Visit site
If you “got a quote”, what did it say beside the price?
If the written quote was for lift and relaunch then take this back to the office and get the invoice corrected.
If it wasn’t a written quote, or doesn’t make clear, then probably your misunderstanding.

Sailing steve

Visit site
Sometimes (and only sometimes) there’s a miscommunication between the yard and the office writing the invoice....so I would go to the office explain that you had a quote that didn’t match the invoice....do it politely and with humor....remember you are only relying on their goodwill...and see what they say. Bearing in mind that you are reliant on these people for ever....and that the yard boss will be a personal friend of every other yard boss on the coast

My (only sometimes) moment was being invoiced by the marina I laid up in for several months hire of a yacht cradle for my bilge keel yacht. Whether that was a genuine mistake or the office decided to slip it in to see if they could get away with it is anybody's guess.

That's the same marina that overnight removed every single water hose from the pontoons and when I enquired as to why I was regaled with some well rehearsed nonsense about food hygiene regulations. No surprise that at the same time a stack of mightily overpriced cassette type hose reels appeared in the adjacent chandlery so if you wanted to fill your tank or wash all the seagull poo off your boat you were suddenly obliged to fork out for something that previously been supplied for free on the berth.

Not that whatever hose you had made actually any difference to either food regulations or washing your boat - the water supply pressure on their pontoons had already been reduced from an fairly useful flow to a miserably parsimonious trickle.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I had requested my boat to be launched back in July and paid for the launce. The yard came back to me saying yhey could not launch my boat due to it being blocked in. unless I paid for the movement of te boats blocking me in.
I refused as its the yard who position the boats, and I had given then 2 months' notice

I was not in a hurry, so I agreed to delay my launch but then refused to pay for the rent to the yard for my boat to stand waiting to be launched. They agreed which did suppressed me, but I do have a reputation of challenging their rulings