HASLAR MARINA

Salty seadog

Visit site
Haslar Marina are now making their car park an ANPR site where only the boat owner’s car plus one other can be parked without incurring a fee. During my 30 years at this marina I have always found a space. This is just another money making exercise in the long line of Boatfolk ‘improvements’.

this marina has changed so much since the days of John Dean and Richard Reddyhoff. NOT for the better me thinks!

what are other forum members thoughts

Greg2

Visit site
Pretty much in line with common practice in our fine country - find any way you can to increase the money you can raise from customers with little consideration of ethics. In a similar vein it is very difficult in our part of the world to find diesel at less than road prices even at the standard 60:40 split. The marine world has always been a bit of a rip off but since Covid the boundaries appear to have extended considerably.

xcw

Visit site
I agree with you, I really can see no need or benefit from introducing the ANPR system; like you I have never had any problem parking there. I think you will find the local management are very much against this move but it is being foisted upon them from above. BoatFolk are now owned by Private Equity whose sole purpose is to make money and they will extract every last penny from their assets (and us berth holders). John & Richard had rather more respect for their berth holders even though they were also in it to make money.

I have to disagree with you about the improvements, I think they are generally very positive; new and improved washrooms, general infrastructure, changes to the lightship. The local management and staff continue to be excellent.

You note that I haven't included The Creek in the list of improvements. It's a great facility and location but very badly managed. I have tried it a number of times and always been disappointed and have now given up on the place. Such a shame.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Pretty standard practice these days, at least you have parking for two cars as it is usually one.

I had the devils own problem when the marina I was berthed in failed to tell the car parking cowboys company that I had changed my car even though we had a special entry fob I was invoiced at £100 a 'visit' - great when you were making several visits a day going to different chandlers - it got quite fun as I was receiving several 'invoices' daily, and was more than willing to attend court for the 'non-payment', but eventually the marina got it sorted.

ashtead

Visit site
I believe they introduced this previously at Portland and it wasn’t a great success . No consultation with bertholders I am aware of,introduced mid term in effect and at one stage they planned to role out the plans before the renewals without letting on but apparently they have now let news out before SIBs so those joining have been warned. It’s going to lead to more complaints to marina staff who I suspect had no say,more hassle for boat owners and generally ill will. Letting any third party in when in reality there is no customer worry just shows the direction of boatfolk travel. If others are concerned please join growing ranks complaining to Ben. Also every time you see some bland PR from Haslar make a car parking /comment complaint . It’s a joke when they post about electric car conversions but not a squeak about the new money-making car park scam .Every idea rolled out recently seems fairly disastrous -just look at the lightship menu before you vist by way of example. I wonder if visitors to the creek will be aware or continue to use if charged. It also reduces present car parking access for crews who always had a few free crew passes the way I read it .

Last edited:

Praxinoscope

Visit site
The rumour mill is working in that the Council are considering removing the car park passes, that have up till now been included in the mooring fees, for Aberaeron boat owners next year,this means that as well as paying almost a £1000 a year for a 25' boat in a drying harbour with no facilities apart from those provided by the club, boat owners will have the additional cost of £6 car parking fees everytime they use their boat, or £3.50 jut for a short visit to the mooring.

Just_sayin'

Arrived. But thinking of a bit more east.
Visit site
I’m not sure I understand this.

My car is registered … I drive up to the barrier … it opens.

I had a disabled friend visit us on our boat, I advised the office, the barrier didn’t open, he had to buzz the office … they let him in.

So I get in automatically, my visitor was buzzed in.

I don’t understand where a fee is involved.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
I'm not sure I get this - two free car spaces means (with sensible car sharing) up to 10 crew. If your boat takes more than 10, someone on board can probably afford to pay for parking!

Whilst, perhaps, not yet true at Haslar, city/town centre free parking usually gets discovered and filled up by others - better 2 free spaces than a full carpark.

TheOldCodger

Visit site
I agree with you, I really can see no need or benefit from introducing the ANPR system; like you I have never had any problem parking there. I think you will find the local management are very much against this move but it is being foisted upon them from above. BoatFolk are now owned by Private Equity whose sole purpose is to make money and they will extract every last penny from their assets (and us berth holders). John & Richard had rather more respect for their berth holders even though they were also in it to make money.

I have to disagree with you about the improvements, I think they are generally very positive; new and improved washrooms, general infrastructure, changes to the lightship. The local management and staff continue to be excellent.

You note that I haven't included The Creek in the list of improvements. It's a great facility and location but very badly managed. I have tried it a number of times and always been disappointed and have now given up on the place. Such a shame.
I have to disagree with you re the Creek and the Lightship. When a group of us ate at the Creek in June we were given excellent food at reasonable prices. I visited the "new" Lightship a couple of weeks ago, and was SO disappointed. They have spent a fortune on decor and renovations, but sadly in my opinion not on their food offering part of which we had to send back, and the prices did not reflect the meals...It was veery expensive. When I thanked the front of house team for their service and commented that they were let down by the kitchen....the response was - "A lot of people say that!" - says it all really! Shame because the site is terrific! It could be so. much better.

doris

Visit site
Absolutely agree about The Creek. What a sad waste of a rescource, and it's not as if Gosport is overflowint with eateries!

When Ben Lippiat was able to run the marina it was very friendly and welcoming. Now he gets stiffed continually from above and the whole feel has changed, hence I'm next door. If you have a problem with Premier, the boss Pete Bradshaw is always available.

doris

Visit site
I have to disagree with you re the Creek and the Lightship. When a group of us ate at the Creek in June we were given excellent food at reasonable prices. I visited the "new" Lightship a couple of weeks ago, and was SO disappointed. They have spent a fortune on decor and renovations, but sadly in my opinion not on their food offering part of which we had to send back, and the prices did not reflect the meals...It was veery expensive. When I thanked the front of house team for their service and commented that they were let down by the kitchen....the response was - "A lot of people say that!" - says it all really! Shame because the site is terrific! It could be so. much better.
Haven't been to the Lightship but after looking at their website I wasn't encouraged. You seem to confirm that.
What surprises me is your comment bout The Creek. We have had dinner there twice and both time it was very expensive for what it was and not even average quality. The one time I had sone lunch, the burger was acceptable but won't go back for dinner.
In Gossie, The Great Wall still rules!! Or a ruby in the High Street.

Just_sayin'

Arrived. But thinking of a bit more east.
Visit site
We considered having a meal at The Creek until we saw this:

8OZ SIRLOIN STEAK £25.95 or 8OZ FILLET STEAK £31.50
Cooked to your liking, served with confit vine tomatoes and rustic fries or house salad
Add a sauce for £3.95
Blue cheese, red wine or peppercorn

Good grief, yes we could afford it but when you add all the extras to have a nice meal it’s frankly ridiculous.

ashtead

Visit site
So far I have avoided the lightship notwithstanding that when run by the previous mangeress whose partner no doubt many also remembered for his sailing activities we frequented at 4 times a year,mainly as the food looks uninviting and over priced but maybe some like pigs cheeks roasted in whatever. If I was spending what could be £100 a head it wouldn’t be in Gosport. I’m sure for those on corporate jollies not picking up tab it might attract but we have noticed looking online that plenty of booking spaces remain.
As for the Creek the manageress being I gather a local Gosport girl tries her best and when it is quite it has now ironed out teething issues (absence of basic drinks for example) but it seems to suffer from being run by a mass corporate caterer and the independent spirit of former entrepreneurs at the old restaurant be it Ms M or her predeccesors is missing. If visiting suggest a late table booking as staff are far quicker serve no doubt because it shuts promptly . If you stick to burger and chips/fish and chips it’s fine if for example your gas bottle packs up and you want a meal but while the venue is fine (needs external area with some form of covering to close it in) the food hardly inspires. They could of course just look at the menu at the old Fort in Seaview or Coast in cowes and copy some items but maybe Gosport doesn’t have real cooks unlike the South Island.

B27

Visit site
Absolutely agree about The Creek. What a sad waste of a rescource, and it's not as if Gosport is overflowint with eateries!

When Ben Lippiat was able to run the marina it was very friendly and welcoming. Now he gets stiffed continually from above and the whole feel has changed, hence I'm next door. If you have a problem with Premier, the boss Pete Bradshaw is always available.
Most people in Turk Town seem to get on the ferry to Goonwharf if they want a meal out.

Salty seadog

Visit site
To move the office into the car park in order that these greedy venture capitalists can install one of their ‘mates’ in what is becoming a very low quality restaurant is just one of the many foibles that may come back to bite them.
how much did they waste on the failed jetty bar? How much will they loose on the rent a boat scheme ‘Beyonder’ they are also trying to sell boats.
the old MDL quote of the 70’s comes to mind we will squeeze untill the pip squeaks.
No hawk or other deterrent to stop the starlings, no berthing masters on the pontoons guiding visitors in, no security with youths continuously walking in and out even sunbathing on the pontoons.
a different atmospher.e. Just give us every penny you’ve got.
a great marina ruined!!
there are still some great people there but they are not allowed to manage. This is similar in other marinas within the group.

doris

Visit site
A great marina ruined!!
there are still some great people there but they are not allowed to manage. This is similar in other marinas within the group.
I agree but with the exception of Ben Lippiatt at Haslar, top bloke, staff next door at Premier are much more attentive and helpful.

lustyd

Visit site
I agree but with the exception of Ben Lippiatt at Haslar, top bloke, staff next door at Premier are much more attentive and helpful.
Well that’s the weirdest thing I’ve read today. Have you been to a Premier marina?!

Pete7

Visit site
Not in our experience.

Two years ago we rounded Portland Bill late evening heading for Portland Marina. Darkness set in, the wind increased and it started to rain. The night staff at PM were checking AIS and saw 4 yachts round the Bill heading north, so either PM or Weymouth. PM was busy, but they put together a plan were to put us if we arrived at PM. 3 yachts did and we were met on the end of the visitors pontoon by a member of staff directing us were to go.

What more do you want as a service, and staff using some initiative ?