Has Anyone Been Into Boulogne Recently?

Major_Clanger

Home is Suffolk, boat either Suffolk or Cornwall
Visit site
If so, were you directed to Calais to stamp in/out?

I ask because I fancy popping over for a weekend. Obviously if I'd have to spend a day lugging myself to Calais and back then it makes the trip impractical. I ask though because the last few times I've stayed in L'Aber Wrac'h or Roscoff, they haven't been interested in stamping me in for a short stay. I did see the police in Roscoff but they just smiled and waved me away!

Jim@sea

Visit site
It was a shame at Boulogne that Speed Ferries were forced out from using the ferry port.
This was one of the reasons that made us sell up in Brittany and return to the UK.
Speed Ferries charged £50 for a return, Boulogne- Dover, & return.
I lived 350 miles from Boulogne leaving at 5 am I could catch the 1pm ferry to Dover and then 5 hours later be in Manchester.
With Speed Ferries closing I had to use the St Malo ferry to Portsmouth, which costs a fortune and should be in the Guiniss Book of Records as being the worlds slowest ferry as although it leaves at 10 am its only passing Cgerbourg at 3 pm and arrives in Portsmouth around 7 or 8 pm and then I had a 5 hour drive.

Pye_End

Visit site

MikeBz

Visit site
There is supposed to be an app which makes this even easier (no need for PDF or ODT editing software on your device), but it is yet to appear in the Apple App Store despite it being mentioned here for over a month: Appli Plaisance Côte d’Opale « Port de plaisance Gravelines

Has anyone found the Android version? Maybe the apps are only available if you are in France, which would be a bit daft but…

Major_Clanger

Visit site
Thanks for that. I'd seen it already and had asked Boulogne Marina the question, but their only suggestion was to take the train or bus to Calais and the main Customs site. In effect, that's a whole day out of the weekend.

I don't want to fall foul of French Customs as I'm in/out of the Schengen area on a regular basis, but I'm half-tempted to just turn-up for a weekend and see if anyone even takes notice of the Q flag.

Pye_End

Visit site
Thanks for that. I'd seen it already and had asked Boulogne Marina the question, but their only suggestion was to take the train or bus to Calais and the main Customs site. In effect, that's a whole day out of the weekend.

I don't want to fall foul of French Customs as I'm in/out of the Schengen area on a regular basis, but I'm half-tempted to just turn-up for a weekend and see if anyone even takes notice of the Q flag.
I have just come back from Dunkerque, using the 'email the port' system. I tried to get reassurance from the marina that the correct sequence of events was about to take place, including sending them the links above. Failing to get that vibe, I then decided to do exactly what was described on the form - ie fill it in, email it, turn up, enjoy the trip, and return (having emailed the form once again). The forms and instructions are from France, in French and English, so I figured that if it went wrong then it was probably the marina not enacting the procedure, not me. The hard copies of the forms were on board, and there was an email trail. The procedure specifically says not to fly Q flag, so you shouldn't necessarily be a honey pot for customs.

Had a lovely and easy few days, so will certainly be looking to do the same again soon.

Daydream believer

Visit site

Going back to the question of Boulogne,( rather than getting side tracked with Dunkirk, etc.) May I ask when you were told by the marina to go to Calais?
If you were told some time ago, we all know that things are moving apace & your instruction could have been updated. Furthermore there are several people working in the office there & not all of them may be aware of the updated proceedures. I am just surmising!
The post in #5 suggests that a trip to Calais is unnecessary. If one were to send the form described in #5 (further link) to Boulogne. If they did not know what to do with it, then that is hardly our fault.
Does anyone know the email address for Boulogne marina?
I have also considered calling in to Boulogne & if challenged by customs I might say "OK it is quicker to go to Dieppe than Calais, so I will sign in there", if it is on my way to the CIs.
I did something like that when returning home from Belgium last year. From Belgium,I went Dunkirk, Boulogne, Dieppe, signed out, then Boulogne, then Dover.
My mate,(coming along the french coast) did Dieppe, signed out, then did Boulogne & Dover on the basis that Dieppe was the same as going to Calais, except he went by boat instead of taxi.

Last edited:

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Going back to the question of Boulogne,( rather than getting side tracked with Dunkirk) May I ask when you were told by the marina to go to Calais?
If you were told some time ago, we all know that things are moving apace & your instruction could have been updated. Furthermore there are several people working in the office there & not all of them may be aware of the updated proceedures. I am just surmising!
The post in #5 suggests that a trip to Calais is unnecessary. If one were to send the form described in #5 (further link) to Boulogne. If they did not know what to do with it, then that is hardly our fault.
(y)

Major_Clanger

Visit site
I have just come back from Dunkerque, using the 'email the port' system. I tried to get reassurance from the marina that the correct sequence of events was about to take place, including sending them the links above. Failing to get that vibe, I then decided to do exactly what was described on the form - ie fill it in, email it, turn up, enjoy the trip, and return (having emailed the form once again). The forms and instructions are from France, in French and English, so I figured that if it went wrong then it was probably the marina not enacting the procedure, not me. The hard copies of the forms were on board, and there was an email trail. The procedure specifically says not to fly Q flag, so you shouldn't necessarily be a honey pot for customs.

Had a lovely and easy few days, so will certainly be looking to do the same again soon.

Going back to the question of Boulogne,( rather than getting side tracked with Dunkirk) May I ask when you were told by the marina to go to Calais?
Does anyone know the email address for Boulogne marina?
I have also considered calling in to Boulogne & if challenged by customs I might say "OK it is quicker to go to Dieppe than Calais, so I will sign in there", if it is on my way to the CIs.
I did something like that when returning home from Belgium last year. From Belgium,I went Dunkirk, Boulogne, Dieppe, signed out, then Boulogne, then Dover.
My mate,(coming along the french coast) did Dieppe, signed out, then did Boulogne & Dover on the basis that Dieppe was the same as going to Calais, except he went by boat instead of taxi.
Last email I had from the marina was about two weeks ago. Their address is: contact@boulogne-marina.fr

@Pye_End's reply is really helpful but I've got a nasty feeling the list has been amended and no longer includes Boulogne. Given that they've recently spent a vast sum of money on the harbour infrastructure it seems completely nuts.

Apart from the fact I really like Boulogne (and am a Francophile in general) there is a reason for wanting to go. My teenage son is ready for his first overseas sail and I want to give him an easy time of it. Calais might put him off for life but Boulogne is charming!

I've emailed the marina again, and also Douane so will report back.

LittleSister

Visit site
Last email I had from the marina was about two weeks ago. Their address is: contact@boulogne-marina.fr

@Pye_End's reply is really helpful but I've got a nasty feeling the list has been amended and no longer includes Boulogne. Given that they've recently spent a vast sum of money on the harbour infrastructure it seems completely nuts.

Apart from the fact I really like Boulogne (and am a Francophile in general) there is a reason for wanting to go. My teenage son is ready for his first overseas sail and I want to give him an easy time of it. Calais might put him off for life but Boulogne is charming!

I've emailed the marina again, and also Douane so will report back.

The list is more likely to be added to, rather than reduced.

It's curious that Boulogne was excluded from the Cruising Association list, despite being shown on the accompanying (French authority produced) map, and included in the list on the French Douane website.

I agree that Boulogne is an appealing point of arrival, as well as particularly convenient for some of us.

bobgarrett

Visit site
I
It's curious that Boulogne was excluded from the Cruising Association list, despite being shown on the accompanying (French authority produced) map, and included in the list on the French Douane website.
I assume the "CA list" you refer to is the list of ports permitted to apply to become what is becoming known as 'protocol' ports which means they can then pass on entry/exit forms to the associated border officials for processing. Boulogne is not on that list. Boulogne is on the French Douane list because it is a French Port of Entry (a PPF) however there are no officials located there to process arrivals and departures.
So the two lists are both correct but it is bizarre that it is a PPF without any officials and not on the list of ports allowed to apply via the protocol.

LittleSister

Visit site
I assume the "CA list" you refer to is the list of ports permitted to apply to become what is becoming known as 'protocol' ports which means they can then pass on entry/exit forms to the associated border officials for processing. Boulogne is not on that list. Boulogne is on the French Douane list because it is a French Port of Entry (a PPF) however there are no officials located there to process arrivals and departures.
So the two lists are both correct but it is bizarre that it is a PPF without any officials and not on the list of ports allowed to apply via the protocol.

On the contrary, It is on the French Douane's list of ports allowed to apply the protocol - 'Liste des ports de plaisance éligibles et rattachement aux points de passage frontaliers' (Translation - 'List of eligible marinas and connection to border crossing points') - which Pye End linked to in post#5 above.

1719923740286.png

Pye_End

Visit site
Thanks. It does not say on that form which email address to send it to. I assume there is now a centralised French email address, not just the one for the port you are entering into. Do you know, please?
Sorry, I don't know, but the RYA website says:
'the persons must hand in the specific form*, giving details of the persons on board as well as the technical characteristics of the boat. This information must be given to the Harbour authority 24 hours before arrival when the trip is less than 24 hours long, and at the latest when the boat departs from a port which is outside of Schengen countries. The port authority will immediately transmit such information to the designated PPF port.

*This form is the entry/exit declaration that you should be able to find on all the participating marina websites '

And from the Cruising Association website:

'If a boat arrives in France via a non-PPF port (under the 'protocol') it should only leave by another non-PPF (protocol) port. No inspection of passports is required, as all information concerning persons on board is contained in the Declarations of Arrival and Departure submitted to the marina authorities for onward transmission to the Border Authorities.'

It does not look as though this procedure has reached either Bolougne or the Dunkerque websites, so hard to know who exactly to email it to, but I took it to mean the marina itself. I am guessing this is going to take a bit longer to 'fully mature'!

The exact meaning on the French form perhaps is not fully clear due to translation as it says:

'The form shall be transmitted by the harbour
master’s office :
1/ To enter the territory :
➢ at the latest twenty-four hours before
arriving in the port, coming from outside
of the Schengen area ;
➢ or at the latest at the time the ship leaves
the previous port, outside of the Schengen
area, if the voyage time is less than twenty-
four hours'

I took this to mean 'to' rather than 'by', but could be wrong.

I have not seen anything about a centralised email address.

Pye_End

Visit site
Now that is interesting because this was queried. I shall have to look at this further.
There are a few lists quoting 31 May participants (including PBO which arrived today) which do not seem to include Bolougne. However it is on the French list, and I would always prefer information sources from origin. Perhaps it has been included at later date. Might be worth asking CA or RYA.