Halmatic 30 for sale. Too good to be true?

Tranona

Visit site
The best thing to help resolve it is to go and look at it. In my experience a couple of hours on the boat is likely to determine whether it is for you or not. The head/heart dilemma will still be there - love the idea of the boat but...... . Only seeing the boat will get you forward in deciding yeas or no.

steveeasy

Visit site
I jump on a train Monday at 1900 hrs and arrive in Oban just after 8am Tuesday. morning. Distance is a killer but the bonus is, I cant carry too many tools.

Steveeasy

Refueler

Visit site
I bought a slightly tired example of a popular 80s classic for just over 50% of the price of a “good” one.

I paid for essential work in the yard it was in (and did a deal to store it cheap until I could sail it back). That amounted to new seacocks, batteries, fitting AIS, and a basic check of engine and rig.

The deal was done in the winter and it took till end of April to get a weather window to bring her home, a sail of around 30 hours.

Since then I’ve paid someone to remove the knackered old treadmaster non slip (replaced with Kiwigrip), and renovate the small amount of teak on deck. The interior had been refurbished already and was in nice condition with good upholstery.

I was lucky enough to get relatively new sails and electronics, but the engine proved to have a lot of “deferred maintenance” which culminated in us pulling it this month for a full refurb (and a blast / respray while we’re at it). The original mild steel fuel tank had also rusted through and will be replaced by a modern plastic one with the luxury of a fuel gauge, no less.

By the time I’ve done the engine project the total expenditure on the boat will equal the cost of a “good” one.

It’s our family boat and we’ve used it without interruption so although there has been work ongoing it hasn’t stopped us sailing.

This is my second “fixer upper” yacht, and the first one with an inboard engine, so that has been the main learning curve.

The positive of buying cheap and correcting the various issues is I now know the boat really well, having gone through most of it’s main systems. The negative is mostly the amount of admin it all creates - I have a young family and work full time so I don’t have a ton of spare time.

What I would say is, if you do fork out for a “good” one, make sure it really is good. The worst case scenario would be to pay more and still have a ton of systems to replace or improve.

Hope this helps! 🙂

That post I admire .. and the last part is so true ....

"The worst case scenario would be to pay more and still have a ton of systems to replace or improve."

Fact !

I read so often about ... replace rigging ... replace engine ... this .. that ... and all based on what ? A Forum post ?

The same comments come up when someone asks about which boat to choose when not a 'project restoration' ....

There is another factor that many have ignored .... the satisfaction of getting a boat back into use ... I have known quite a number of people who have taken on boats .. worked hard to bring back to full use and the glow of 'I did it' has been according to them - worth it.

andsarkit

Visit site
Seriously. I reckon on my refit there is a 60/40 split between doing direct work on the boat and the "management" tasks of deciding what to do then sourcing materials and contractors. Fortunately I live close to the boat and less than 30 minutes from loading the car to being on board.
For some of us part of the pleasure of owning a boat is making continuous improvements. I enjoy the process of dreaming, sketching, planning, sourcing and making bits to make the boat suit my needs.
In my working life as a project/systems engineer I spent a lot of time scouring catalogues and the internet and talking to suppliers. Now I'm retired, I'm back in my comfort zone with little projects on the boat.
Perhaps modern boats are already perfect but older boats can all benefit from the attentions of a creative engineer to bring them up to modern standards.

Blueboatman

Visit site
This is just by way of example..
At the time, I bought the cheapest Rustler 36 in the country . That ‘record’ of sorts , for a popular but niche boat , endured for a few years too
Because I was prepared to take on a teak -a beautiful teak -deck that was only going one way and already showing signs .
Also a motivated but enthusiastic owner who had kept up with things pretty well
And the very same yanmar engine
So I factored in the unknown /possible replacement engine at some point and the teak and all the rest ( and there was ‘ the rest’, there always is ..)
It worked for me -it takes effort and is always a risk..

But only because I had the tools the skills the experience the time and the travel free location and the motivation and the discipline to take it on. You need al that all the way through . Just like anything really
Then you splash it and head off sailing.

(The yanmar never did need replacing over another 12 years moderate use..)

But. Here’s the kicker : The combo of prerequisites to takeon an older boat is as Tranona keeps pointing out , becoming rarer so old boats are getting older unloved and un owned.. a deal really has to be a giveaway ..

doug748

Visit site
"I'm sure the 'fixer upper' vs. 'ready to sail away' argument will rumble on indefinitely. "

Yes I think it might, too easy to say "just buy the best, it will be cheaper in the long run". As pointed out, some folk actually like bringing a boat up, the rest would love to buy the best but they want to sail now and cash in the bank is limited. Refurbishment also makes a useful contribution to the environment and is it's own spiritual reward
As Mrming has pointed out finding an expensive boat that is essentially better than the cheap one is not a given either. Not many folk buy new sails because they are planning to sell.
In days of yore all boats were crap, and made of damp plywood into the bargain; nobody dreamt of replacing sails, rigging, upholstery, engines or largely useless "instruments" but the essential things about sailing were just as good.

Back to the original boat. It looks like the starboard side below has been modified in some way, perhaps furniture removed. This would certainly put people off. Are there signs of dampness/leaks on that interior, that would seriously drive the price down as well? Another point, look carefully at the deck, it is cored in places and at least one Halmatic has been sold cheaply because of mast compression problems.

You really do have to look at as many boats as you can, otherwise you have no yardstick. Keep us informed.

Tranona

Visit site
For some of us part of the pleasure of owning a boat is making continuous improvements. I enjoy the process of dreaming, sketching, planning, sourcing and making bits to make the boat suit my needs.
In my working life as a project/systems engineer I spent a lot of time scouring catalogues and the internet and talking to suppliers. Now I'm retired, I'm back in my comfort zone with little projects on the boat.
Perhaps modern boats are already perfect but older boats can all benefit from the attentions of a creative engineer to bring them up to modern standards.
That is why I bought my Golden Hind. My previous boat was a Bavaria 33 which I bought new - and in some ways the best part of the owning experience was the search to decide what to buy and the process of deciding on the spec as I was lucky in that it was built to order. The 4 week commissioning (it was Coppercoated which takes time) and the 3 trips a week to the Hamble were also good. The reason I bought new and "perfect" was because I thought I would only have 3-4 years more active life. Circumstances change, but there is a limit to what you can do with a modern boat apart from sailing as nothing breaks or goes obsolete. The only thing I spent time and money on was improving sails. And of course did a lot of sailing.

The refit has become almost a full time job. One of my guiding principles is to not get into a position where the boat is ashore in pieces for any long period of time. Partly driven by the fact that to keep my berth I have to occupy it and there is no long term storage ashore without removing it to a commercial yard. Mainly though driven by watching others "almost" ready to launch - year after year! People totally underestimate the amount of work required to get a boat afloat again after long periods ashore, even if no major work is undertaken.

Tranona

Visit site
Tranona ... lets be honest ....

To go from a Tupperware Bav to a Golden Hind is one big leap !!

From a floating Campervan to a Classic.
Neither are particularly good characterisations. The Bavaria was NOT a floating Campervan but a very capable coastal and offshore cruiser that most importantly was easy to handle on my own. Beautifully made in a modern machine way. Nothing broke in the 6 years I had it except for the Garmin electronics (minor) and Lewmar windlass (burnt out motor. Golden Hind is just a bigger version of the Eventide 26 I owned for nearly 40 years. Bit of a rough and ready ugly duckling by "real" classic boat standards but very satisfying to own and refurbish because none of it is real craftsman stuff so tolerant of my less than perfect workmanship.

Wansworth

Visit site
That is why I bought my Golden Hind. My previous boat was a Bavaria 33 which I bought new - and in some ways the best part of the owning experience was the search to decide what to buy and the process of deciding on the spec as I was lucky in that it was built to order. The 4 week commissioning (it was Coppercoated which takes time) and the 3 trips a week to the Hamble were also good. The reason I bought new and "perfect" was because I thought I would only have 3-4 years more active life. Circumstances change, but there is a limit to what you can do with a modern boat apart from sailing as nothing breaks or goes obsolete. The only thing I spent time and money on was improving sails. And of course did a lot of sailing.

The refit has become almost a full time job. One of my guiding principles is to not get into a position where the boat is ashore in pieces for any long period of time. Partly driven by the fact that to keep my berth I have to occupy it and there is no long term storage ashore without removing it to a commercial yard. Mainly though driven by watching others "almost" ready to launch - year after year! People totally underestimate the amount of work required to get a boat afloat again after long periods ashore, even if no major work is undertaken.
Excellent summary of reality

Birdseye

Visit site
I wouldn't necessarily say it's 'cheap'. The price reflects the age and condition of equipment (not ancient/terrible - but hardly new) -
For some reason sailors assume that the only bits of an old boat that wear out are the engine, rigging and sails. In reality everything wears and boats in that era werent as well built as they are today. The cost is very low but then add in the many things you might have to replace and you can easily end up with an expensive old banger. So tread carefully and use a good, as opposed the cheap, surveyor.

Refueler

Visit site
For some reason sailors assume that the only bits of an old boat that wear out are the engine, rigging and sails. In reality everything wears and boats in that era werent as well built as they are today. The cost is very low but then add in the many things you might have to replace and you can easily end up with an expensive old banger. So tread carefully and use a good, as opposed the cheap, surveyor.

Please define : "boats in that era werent as well built as they are today" .....

I would dispute that ....

As someone who surveyed many boats ... I can put hand on heart and say that I found MORE constructional faults in more modern boats than older. The main areas being cored decks and transoms.
Hulls were generally heavier and more solid on older boats.

My own 1970's boat - Sunrider 25 has struck large buoy twice ... once with previous owner ... once with me. The only sign is that of a touch of Gel Star crazing ... but no structural damage at all. But I have been called in to appraise damage to modern boats who have struck lesser objects and structural damage has most certainly occurred.

There is a Brand of boat - hugely popular - but on at least two occasions when surveyed - I found to still have 'green GRP' .... that is UNcured GRP, despite the computer controlled modern spray techniques used in production.

Stemar

Visit site
Any boat over a few years old could become a project boat. Yes, it's easier and probably cheaper in the long run to buy one that's "ready to go", but there are far too many stories of "ready to go" boats that were only ready to go wrong.

I bought a Catalac that I knew had a lot of "deferred maintenance" because I believed the boat was sound. I've since spent more than I paid for her on new rigging, rewiring, grp repairs and the like, and I haven't finished yet - I likely never will, because there's always something on a boat that needs fixing. However, after the initial shock of new standing rigging and furler, the expenditure has been managed to be spread over time, lost in the general cost of living. That works, because I enjoy fettling; if you don't, you're looking at the wrong boat, probably the wrong hobby.

ISTM that the OP is already half in love with the Halmatic. She's known to be a good design, solidly constructed and safe, so I reckon she's well worth a look, but I'd take someone who knows boats and is of a fairly cynical mindset with me to balance my starry eyes.

Assuming no catastrophic faults, if the engine's sound, the sails not rotten and the rig not too old (Jazzcat's was original from 1984, so I didn't dare put the sails up until it was changed, though I expect it would have been fine), I reckon a week's fulltime work would get her in shape for a delivery trip in decent weather. As for electronics, I'd want the depth sounder and VHF to work, and Navionics on my phone would do for now. Once she's home, all the improvements and cosmetic bits can be dealt with at leisure.

Having said all that, there's a good way to plan a refurbishment: List all the jobs, with costs and time - be generous for both. Now multiply the costs by at least two and the time by four and add a substantial contingency to both. Be warned!

Blueboatman

Visit site
Any boat over a few years old could become a project boat. Yes, it's easier and probably cheaper in the long run to buy one that's "ready to go", but there are far too many stories of "ready to go" boats that were only ready to go wrong.

I bought a Catalac that I knew had a lot of "deferred maintenance" because I believed the boat was sound. I've since spent more than I paid for her on new rigging, rewiring, grp repairs and the like, and I haven't finished yet - I likely never will, because there's always something on a boat that needs fixing. However, after the initial shock of new standing rigging and furler, the expenditure has been managed to be spread over time, lost in the general cost of living. That works, because I enjoy fettling; if you don't, you're looking at the wrong boat, probably the wrong hobby.

ISTM that the OP is already half in love with the Halmatic. She's known to be a good design, solidly constructed and safe, so I reckon she's well worth a look, but I'd take someone who knows boats and is of a fairly cynical mindset with me to balance my starry eyes.

Assuming no catastrophic faults, if the engine's sound, the sails not rotten and the rig not too old (Jazzcat's was original from 1984, so I didn't dare put the sails up until it was changed, though I expect it would have been fine), I reckon a week's fulltime work would get her in shape for a delivery trip in decent weather. As for electronics, I'd want the depth sounder and VHF to work, and Navionics on my phone would do for now. Once she's home, all the improvements and cosmetic bits can be dealt with at leisure.

Having said all that, there's a good way to plan a refurbishment: List all the jobs, with costs and time - be generous for both. Now multiply the costs by at least two and the time by four and add a substantial contingency to both. Be warned!
Especially that last paragraph

I always thought IF would be an apt name for a project boat- and all the more celebrated , the result 😊👍

( with apologies to Kipling )
If— by Rudyard Kipling - Poems | Academy of American Poets

fredrussell

Visit site
Please define : "boats in that era werent as well built as they are today" .....

I would dispute that ....
Ah, but judging by your “floating camper van” comment, amongst others, re Bavarias on another current thread, you would seem to be a bit biased against modern mass production boats. A heavy hull might well resist the results of running into buoys but it makes the boat heavier and slower on many points of sail. Correct me if I’m wrong but you yourself have described your boat as a motor-sailer in the past. I’m sure there are some that would rather have a modern comparatively lighter boat for the same length that will zing along a bit and be a bit more close winded, and just put up with the inconvenience of having to sail around large metallic floating objects.

Last edited:

steve yates

Visit site
My mates composite Twister was a sound and well kept boat, lovingly looked after, Very well organised, Interior spotless, nicely painted and with fresh clean upholstery. Came with a windvane and charcoal heater and a yanmar engine. He paid £10k for her, owner had got too old to sail her bit lived by the yard she was kept in, (ardfern) so kept her fettled.
She hadn’t moved for 4 years. In the 5 or 6 years he has had her, he has spent around another 25k, reengined, new electronics suite, new batteries and cabling etc. including £12k in replacing damp woodwork in the cockpit lockers! He hasn’t replaced the sails or standing rigging yet, and hasn’t got round to solar panels, so there probably will be more spending to come.
He doesnt care, its his first and only boat and he wants her just right, and will be happy if he gets 10-15 years out of her, he’s two years away from his pension.
She was by no stretch of the imagination a project boat, and he could have mitigated some of that cost, but its a salutary lesson to me that boats are always more expensive than you think :)

Refueler

Visit site
Ah, but judging by your “floating camper van” comment, amongst others, re Bavarias on another current thread, you would seem to be a bit biased against modern mass production boats. A heavy hull might well resist the results of running into buoys but it makes the boat heavier and slower on many points of sail. Correct me if I’m wrong but you yourself have described your boat as a motor-sailer in the past. I’m sure there are some that would rather have a modern comparatively lighter boat for the same length that will zing along a bit and be a bit more close winded, and just put up with the inconvenience of having to sail around large metallic floating objects.

Agreed .... never said anything to extrapolate to that ...

My opinion of Bav's (pre last change of Company) is legendary .... especially that I have personal knowledge of keels falling off ... green grp ....

Then we move on to Portlands mess of US designed boats .... watched a new delivery 'touch' its sugarscoop on the pontoon astern as it manoeuvred into new owners berth - PRO DElivery Crew !! Seam opened up and flooded.
Pal of mine bought a 36 .... within 2 years locker tops were distorted / failed to close properly ... cabin woodwork fastening failing ... When checked - not an isolated case. (I had pointed him toward a very nice Jeanneau 37 ... but he declined and bought the new Yanky *****).

Yes older boats usually heavier ... and as you say not so endearing to those who wish to extract that last knot ... but I know well what I prefer to go to sea in ....

Brands of boats - like cars have their followers and haters .... be a strange world if we all liked the same. How uninteresting.

steveeasy

Visit site
My mates composite Twister was a sound and well kept boat, lovingly looked after, Very well organised, Interior spotless, nicely painted and with fresh clean upholstery. Came with a windvane and charcoal heater and a yanmar engine. He paid £10k for her, owner had got too old to sail her bit lived by the yard she was kept in, (ardfern) so kept her fettled.
She hadn’t moved for 4 years. In the 5 or 6 years he has had her, he has spent around another 25k, reengined, new electronics suite, new batteries and cabling etc. including £12k in replacing damp woodwork in the cockpit lockers! He hasn’t replaced the sails or standing rigging yet, and hasn’t got round to solar panels, so there probably will be more spending to come.
He doesnt care, its his first and only boat and he wants her just right, and will be happy if he gets 10-15 years out of her, he’s two years away from his pension.
She was by no stretch of the imagination a project boat, and he could have mitigated some of that cost, but its a salutary lesson to me that boats are always more expensive than you think :)
Ouch. Still he now has a lovely boat. As you say he could of mitigated some of that.

I bought my Twister for 3,000. She had a new engine when I bought her fitted. I was told that I had paid too much. Repeatedly.

still spent a fair bit replacing everything. Just how it is. No no such thing as a cheap boat.
Steveeasy

Refueler

Visit site

Old joke : Hole in water to throw money into.

Same as Houses ....