Halmatic 30 for sale. Too good to be true?

Rab87

Visit site
Hello,

I'm keen to buy a boat next year for coastal and occasional offshore sailing.

The Halmatic 30 has always appealed to me and is high up the target list. This one has been on the market for some time and the price has been reduced at least once as far as I know.

With the caveat that the engine is 27 years old (hours unknown), the standing rigging should be replaced and the sails are of an unknown condition, it still seems like a lot of boat for the money. The exterior looks a bit tired cosmetically but the interior looks pretty good. I generally work on the principle that if it's too good to be true, it probably is. Any thoughts as to what the catch may be?

The few other Halmatics on the market are £6-7k more, so I can't help but wonder why this one is so cheap? And if there's nothing wrong with it, why someone hasn't snapped it up before now?

Many thanks,

Rob

andsarkit

Visit site
It looks good and just needs a bit of TLC to get it in working order. Have a look at it and check out the condition of the sails. If the engine has only done 1000 hours (if I read the counter correctly) it is should have a lot of life left in it. Looking at the rusty crankshaft pulley it has not been run for a while. Yanmar spares are expensive but the engines are generally reliable.
You will possibly need to get a survey for insurance purposes so unless you are experienced that might be a good investment.
How long do you intend to keep the boat? If over 10 years then you would have to replace the rigging and sails at some point so getting it done at the start would give you the benefit during your ownership.
The large costs are:
Engine
Sails
Rigging
Upholstery
Mooring
Moving to your location

As long as you cost everything correctly you can work out if it is the boat for you.

dankilb

Visit site
Hello,

The Halmatic 30 has always appealed to me and is high up the target list. This one has been on the market for some time and the price has been reduced at least once as far as I know.

With the caveat that the engine is 27 years old (hours unknown), the standing rigging should be replaced and the sails are of an unknown condition, it still seems like a lot of boat for the money. The exterior looks a bit tired cosmetically but the interior looks pretty good. I generally work on the principle that if it's too good to be true, it probably is. Any thoughts as to what the catch may be?

The few other Halmatics on the market are £6-7k more, so I can't help but wonder why this one is so cheap? And if there's nothing wrong with it, why someone hasn't snapped it up before now?

Many thanks,

Rob
I wouldn't necessarily say it's 'cheap'. The price reflects the age and condition of equipment (not ancient/terrible - but hardly new) - namely, the sails (he'd mention if they were new/'good' so assume 'average' at best), the rig (probably had little use but fully comp insurance would expect newer than 2011). engine (hours not mentioned and nearly 30 years of being on a boat will take it's toll even if it's been lightly used) and nav/electronics (usable - but most would seek an upgrade and that could be a movable feast of many hundreds into several thousand).

Prices in the NW/Wales/Irish Sea are also slightly lower-than-average (or you could say less 'optimistic') for the UK.

Doug seems a straight-enough chap. We bought our boat off him in 2019 although he was mostly hands-off (we dealt with the previous owner and never actually met him!).

Reactions: Obi

Blueboatman

Visit site
Hello,

Many thanks,

Rob
Why don’t you have a chat with the broker and find out what the back story is ?

Your £5-6k ‘discount ‘ would certainly buy you two new sails and standing rigging if shopping carefully.

Everything in life is a risk of course !

Tranona

Visit site
You have sort of answered your own question. If it has been on the market for some time others will have viewed it and decided it is not worth buying at the asking price. Location has a lot to do with it because it does not seem to be in "sailaway" condition so if you are not local there is a lot of work, probably mostly labour to get it ready for a lengthy sea passage. Road transport to get it anywhere else will be a minimum of £2k.

While it is the sort of boat many people admire that is not the same as actually wanting to own one, even though the price premium that they commanded when new has long disappeared, and in fact asking prices now are lower typically than more mainstream boats of similar size and age. As already noted, it is the cost of bringing the boat into usable condition where you want it that is important not the purchase price of the boat itself. Look at this one (even though so sold) and compare what you get for your money if you want a ready to go boat. theyachtmarket.com/en/boat-for-sale/2274529/ The overall presentation and the evidence of regular updating and maintenance is what makes the difference. Project boats are only worth buying if you want a project and you recognise that the ultimate cost is likely to be far higher than a ready to go boat, even if the latter needs a bit of refinement to suit your needs.

dankilb

Visit site
I have spoken to Dough Edwards in the past, when enquiring about a boat on his listings. IMHO he is one of the honest brokers. It would be worth a phone call.
+1 to calling Doug - he was happy to candidly discuss why our boat had been reduced and how the ‘marketing’ had gone (another forumite had walked away and their accounts of events broadly matched!). He wasn’t squeamish to haggle in the end!

Poignard

Visit site
By all means take sensible precautions but you don't have to automatically assume that because a boat is priced low it is no good.

I have had my boat for 26 years, I will probably have to sell her in the next year or two and my priority will be a quick sale.

I did not buy her as an investment but only for pleasure, and she has delivered that. She owes me nothing.

I will start by asking a low price and keep dropping it until someone buys.

robmcg

Visit site
I think it would definitely be worth looking at. The base purchase price makes it more affordable upfront and you can spend money on it as and when you have it to bring it up to your own specification. Many of the jobs on the boat look more cosmetic than big money items so you could probably make major inroads into improving her in a relatively short time.

simonfraser

Visit site
you'd want to know what the condition of the electrics / wires / hose / engine is
any corrosion in that department would take more money and time

boat one is a project, boat two can be used by the looks of it

Rab87

Visit site
Many thanks for all the replies and helpful advice.

A bit of online research today revealed that the boat did an Atlantic circuit in 2011-12, so it's seen some hard use. On the other hand, an Atlantic circuit is a pipe dream of mine, so nice to think the boat would know the way!

Clearly a conversation with the broker and/or owner would be the logical next step. How much attention she has had since the Atlantic trip would be a key question.

And I certainly wouldn't take anything further without a full survey. If the hull and spars are sound, the engine is in proven working order and the sails not too tired, I might be tempted. Replacing the standing rigging is a given and cosmetic stuff I can deal with. Re-engineing on the other hand is not an option financially.

As mentioned, her current location has perhaps put other potential buyers off. Living in the North of Scotland, I acknowledge the logistics would be extra challenging!

Thanks again for all the input, much appreciated.

Tranona

Visit site
Many thanks for all the replies and helpful advice.

A bit of online research today revealed that the boat did an Atlantic circuit in 2011-12, so it's seen some hard use. On the other hand, an Atlantic circuit is a pipe dream of mine, so nice to think the boat would know the way!

Clearly a conversation with the broker and/or owner would be the logical next step. How much attention she has had since the Atlantic trip would be a key question.

And I certainly wouldn't take anything further without a full survey. If the hull and spars are sound, the engine is in proven working order and the sails not too tired, I might be tempted. Replacing the standing rigging is a given and cosmetic stuff I can deal with. Re-engineing on the other hand is not an option financially.

As mentioned, her current location has perhaps put other potential buyers off. Living in the North of Scotland, I acknowledge the logistics would be extra challenging!

Thanks again for all the input, much appreciated.
The Yanmar 3GM is a robust little engine but often look awful like that one and a good cleanup, oil and filter change etc maybe all that is required.

Buying a boat a long way from where you want it does present challenges. I bought a boat, also in Wales in somewhat similar condition except that it had been in use. I live in Poole so facing a similar sea journey to you. The survey showed nothing major but everything just tired. My initial thoughts were to leave it there over the winter then spend a few days getting it back together before sailing it back Surveyor strongly advised not to, but bite the bullet and have it trucked back so that I could work on it at my pace (I live 15 minutes from the Yard). Best thing I did.

A boat like that Halmatic that has effectively been abandoned is a very different prospect from the one in Plymouth that had led a fairly cosseted life and regularly updated would be as close as you could get to ready to go. Couple of days to get ready for launch then a couple more local sailing and you could be ready for the trip north. That is what makes the £7k difference. On the other hand if you have the capability and time 2 or 3 weeks may get the bargain boat up and running if the survey does not show up any fundamental nasties.

Good luck

biscuit

Visit site
I had a Mk2 for some years, only sold it as we (wife & I) wanted bigger accomodation.
Well balanced, magic upwind, comfortable motion. Roomy heads, lots of stowage. I liked the stand up chart table.
If there is no structural problem it looks a very god buy. If you get it I have a servicable old main in my garage you could have!