Gurney's Revenge

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Gurney\'s Revenge

This is by Sam Llewellyn , who is best known for yachting thrillers such as 'Deadeye' - but this is an O'Brien type yarn involving a young promising but now disgraced navy officer who is framed as a card sharp by the corrupt slave-trading guardian of his beloved.

Gurney takes ship for the far East in search of revenge. Captured in the Mediterranean by Turkish brigands, he escapes from a desert-traversing slave coffle by taking advantage of a skirmish with brigands to plummet over a cliff into a river where he is rescued by a fakir/wise man/rogue who is taking a raft full of sheep down the rapids of the Tigris to the sea.

Becoming wise in the ways of the orient and teaming up with the mystic raft skipper Basreddin, our hero takes ship on a dodgy pearler down the horn of Africa. During a refreshement stop in a dubious port the crew are all killed except for Gurney and Basreddin. Now with their own ship, they are nevertheless captured again by fiendish savages and find themselves in dire circumstances. However, with remarkable resourcefullness they escape again and manage to aquire a better, faster vessel. Making their way to Hong Kong they happily acquire a cargo of prime mud (opium) which is used to fund a cunning and total destruction of Gurney's persecutor.

One of the rippingest yarns I have read in a long time, and the first in a trilogy apparently.

- Nick

Rustyknight

Visit site
Re: Gurney\'s Revenge

I have a paperback copy of "Gurney's reward" catching dust on a bookshelf, and have to say I wasn't that taken with it, especially after reading many of his "yachty" stories which I liked.

If you love "ripping yarns", though not boaty ones, try the "Flashman" series by George MacDonald Fraser.

samsonioni

Visit site

If it is any excuse, Gurney's Revenge is the first book I ever wrote, being in my early twenties at the time; sort of teach-yourself-fiction-writing-by-writing. I still think it is pretty ripping, but would be the first to admit that it is by no means skilful.

Rustyknight

Visit site

I don't think it's that bad you need to make excuses for it, but agree that you improved with age...... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com

I've lent it to a friend who is reading it on his mooring out in the bay tonight.

Sam, I have to say the writing is much better in your later thrillers, but there was just something different about Gurney.

I didn't ever read thrillers until I came across Deadeye and Dead Reckoning - brilliant books, looking forward to reading the rest. Are you still writing yachting thrillers?

- Nick

phanakapan

Visit site

Eek- Hello Sam, I was just about to pour scorn on some of your sailing thrillers before realising that you were on here- I do think they are well written, exciting books, great in-bunk reading-but as a woman I can never quite take to some of your male heroes-(a bit too craggy/rough diamond/bitterly divorced/unhappily married/ no good at fighting but gets to bed the girl and rough it up with the baddies anyway for me) ....anyway, I must say I thoroughly and unreservedly enjoyed The Sea Garden and The Malpas Legacy, and thought you made a pretty d**n good stab at The Shadow in the Sands (brave man!)

Welcome to the forum, and thankyou for the entertainment,

Philippa

LeonF

Visit site

I like the sea thrillers Sam...Hammond Innes was one of my boyhood authors and I think you follow extremely well with a more modern slant. Just too mean to buy them I am afraid...I mean paperbacks at £7.50 a throw? No, I wait till I can acquire them or visit the library.Expecting to be laid up for a week to two after a small elbow op, I reckon you and Patricia Cornwell may keep me from getting square eyed.

AJW

Visit site
Shadow in the sands

I really enjoyed Shadow in the Sands, in fact IIRC I have an autographed copy from a LIBS some years ago, but then I read it before I read 'Riddle'.

machurley22

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
I've lent it to a friend who is reading it on his mooring out in the bay tonight. - Nick

[/ QUOTE ]
I was that man and can report that it was indeed the rippingest yarn I've read for quite some time.

It took me a while to get into it since it seemed a bit too shorthand and facile to begin with but once I started to appreciate the tale for what it is I was thoroughly hooked.

I particularly enjoyed Basreddin.. "Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream.." He didn't say that but he should have done.

Epirb23

Visit site

I read Hell Bay by Sam Llewellyn while staying on Tresco a few years back and it still sticks in my mind as an excellent compliment to the islands' background.Thankyou for writing it! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
(apologies-unintended hijack of the thread)

Other threads that may be of interest