Guarantee new rudder

Erwin Swart

Visit site
My dad got a new rudder 6 years ago.
Now it seems the rudder is leaking and filled with water.

Does anybody know what's the best solution
- drill a hole in the rudder to get rid of the water, dry and treat the rudder with epoxy?
- a complete new rudder

To my opinion if you dry the rudder you have no idea how the rudder looks like at inner site and therefore I prefer to have a new rudder.

As well how long what can you expect regarding guaranteed.

Thanks for feedback

Tranona

Visit site
Don't think you have any recourse to the supplier after 6 years. How you treat it depends in part on the cause of the ingress of water. The two favourites are where the stock enters the rudder, but often difficult to determine without dropping rudder, or a split in the seam joining the two halves. This can be caused by either poor seam in manufacture or impact damage. Close inspection of the seam may identify the damage.

It is not unusual to have water in rudders and most people seem to live with it, perhaps drilling a hole in the bottom and draining the water out over the winter then plugging the hole. This will give you an idea of how much water is getting in. Provided the stock and tangs are both stainless steel there should not be any structural issues, although the foam may eventually break down. If you can get it dry and identify where the water is getting in then you can make repairs. Perhaps you should go back to the supplier and ask advice about the construction.

A bit of water in the rudder does not justify the expense of a new one. As I suggested it is common and rudders last for years even after regular draining of the water.

TimBennet

Visit site
. . . Provided the stock and tangs are both stainless steel there should not be any structural issues . . .

Really? Your confidence in welded stainless steel in what, is essentially an oxygen free environment, is much greater than mine. Especially in boats that have been in warm (Med / Tropical) water.

Rudders can be split, inspected and have their stainless parts epoxy coated before being reassembled. It's not particularly difficult (even DIY) type job and not particularly expensive compared to a new rudder.