GribView weather software

franksingleton

weather.mailasail.com
This is probably because Windows is hiding the file extension. Open your renamed file in Notepad, then click File | Save As. In the Save As dialogue box, click the bar next to Save as type: and select All Files. Now make sure you are in the right folder, and paste zygrib.ini into the File name: field, then click Save.

Still no dice. Says I have to get admistrator's permission. I am the only user and administrator. I am set up to see all the extensions.

Never mind, I can live with zyGrib as is.

Thanks for your help.

www.bavariayacht.info
Still no dice. Says I have to get admistrator's permission. I am the only user and administrator. I am set up to see all the extensions.

In that case, try finding the .ini file with the latest date, open and paste my text file into it. The access problem probably means you have copied the install folder into a protected area, such as \Program Files

steverow

Visit site
Theyr.com

I use the £25 per year, paid for Theyr.com service, beleive me it is worth it, as you also get the WW3 wave model as well. I use it extensively with Coastal Explorer Nav Software,

www.rosepointnav.com

I did have the free Theyr version when they first re-started after the FMO discontinued the service. Didnt have any problems with the free version as far as I remember. I dont think £25 per year is at all bad for a good reliable service. It allows gribs of any size or area to be either emailed to you or directly downloaded.

www.theyr.com

Not advertising, just hugely satisfied customer.

Cheers

franksingleton

weather.mailasail.com
Anyone use this? http://www.weathergraphics.com/da/

Seems pretty complex and isn't free so maybe not..

Yes, it is comprehensive. However, in terms of pecking order the ECMWF performs the best of all but, its output comes out later than any other. This is because they are not providing a service for the immediate future. They can afford to wait to get the best analysis possible.

The UK comes next. As a measure, the ECMWF 84 hour forecast is as good as the UK 72 hours.

The rest of the models are much of a muchness. This is based on the RMSE of surface pressure over the whole N Hemisphere.

For the first day or two, the UK should be the best of those on Weatheronline. For over three days ECMWF should be best but they do not give surface level winds.

I find that zyGrib - the GFS - is a good compromise. It gives a wide range of parameters. I can save it to viw later when off-line.

Hope that helps

franksingleton

weather.mailasail.com
Yes, it is comprehensive. However, in terms of pecking order the ECMWF performs the best of all but, its output comes out later than any other. This is because they are not providing a service for the immediate future. They can afford to wait to get the best analysis possible................./QUOTE]

Sorry. Take all that back.

I assumed that you were talking about weatheronline.

I will take a closer look.

First impressions is that it is a lot of good stuff but you might do just as well with zyGrib etc.

franksingleton

weather.mailasail.com
Anyone use this? http://www.weathergraphics.com/da/

Seems pretty complex and isn't free so maybe not..

Conachair

Thank you for bringing this one up. It looks very much like Clearpointweather.com that was launched in the US some years ago but has never seemed to cause any ripples over here.

This Weatheronline service has much of interest in that it pulls together many bits of information available in many places on the Internet. As you says, it looks and is complicated. But, as I so often say, so is the weather.

For amateur weather buffs it will be a gold mine. For some professionals, I can see that it might be a useful source of processed data. Naturally, there is a fair amount of over-hype in the spiel and statements that it would be difficult to justify in any objective sense.

For example, what has this one man band, a physics teacher with an M.S (equivalent to a BSc in the UK) done over 25 years that nobody else has done? If he is providing a service worldwide, it can only be using a global weather model; most probably that is the GFS. Even if he got the data direct from NOAA rather than use GRIB output, he would only get computer output every 25 km or so. That can only define weather on a 100 km scale at best. Even starting with some real on the spot data, I doubt that that particular service will be better than what is already available and may be not as good as, say, Windguru.

As a sailor who wants to go sailing and not spend all my time poring over weather charts, it has no attraction. The very short term decisions that we make will be based on what we can see happening – that big thunderstorm approaching, that bank of fog rolling in. This system is unlikely to tell you much more, if anything at all, about sea breezes than you cannot get from experience and common sense.

In my view, our most important decisions are when we go to sea and where we go to. That requires looking at the large scene ie zyGrib for preference but other sources of the same information.

Try it for free. Before you pay any money, ask yourself what you will get that will really help your decision making that you cannot get now. My assessment is very little.

Conachair

Visit site
Digital Atmosphere prog.....

Try it for free. Before you pay any money, ask yourself what you will get that will really help your decision making that you cannot get now. My assessment is very little.

Think you're right there. Free is good :D I actually found it mentioned on your site while playing around with DWD on ssb. Can you import all those numbers which get transmitted on 10.1khz rtty into digital atmosphere? Even if it did work I can't see it the sort of thing you'd do daily offshore. I've been looking around for what you can get on ssb recieve, seems that there isn't much apart from weatherfax. Which, imho, is enough away from land but the more the merrier :).

franksingleton

weather.mailasail.com
Digital Atmosphere prog.....

Think you're right there. Free is good :D I actually found it mentioned on your site while playing around with DWD on ssb. Can you import all those numbers which get transmitted on 10.1khz rtty into digital atmosphere? Even if it did work I can't see it the sort of thing you'd do daily offshore. I've been looking around for what you can get on ssb recieve, seems that there isn't much apart from weatherfax. Which, imho, is enough away from land but the more the merrier :).

Oops, yes! I had forgotten about the name. Presumably, you could have a free trial and maybe download the charting software. It is probably available from elsewhere.

For anyone else interested, see an example at http://weather.mailasail.com/Franks-Weather/Radio-Teletype-Weather-Broadcasts#and-to-plotanalyse.

One problem with this programme is that these data are as received. The software is not clever enough to detect errors. As a result, I have seen the programme accept a ship report that should have been 10 deg further north. Obvious to the human eye from the reported sea temperature. Obvious to a “professional” decoding program as run by any National Met Service but no to these amateurs.

I have not got a link for the software package but could find it, I guess. Similar software is available to generate charts from the coded chart forms – Fleet Code - that appear on INMARSAT and some HF broadcasts. There is another thread about getting such decoded charts of the internet.