Greek TPP now in play

sailaboutvic

Visit site
No wonder Greece is in such a state when they can't even get you rich yachties to pay what's due.

Greece is in a state because the Greeks are more interested in lining there now pocket , refusing to pay taxes , and corruption that starting at the top , we have watch People on holiday being stopped and find for not wearing helmet on bike while the officers wave to a family of three past by on another bike non wearing helmets ,

Are far as rich yachties goes , your living in a different world then we do , come and have a look at some of the private boats there not all new 50 foot HR .
Many people have worked all there lives , pay taxes , some sold they house and other living on pensions to live there dream , just in a lot of cases just managing to make ends meet .
before we are makes to pay our dues they should get there own people to pay there and not expect to have the right that other country to support then , while the rich get even richer and the poorer get poorer

Last edited:

ITH

Winter in Kent, rest of the year on board
Visit site
Porto Heli is known to have PP who make up their own rules. As far as I am aware the TPP has not been implemented.

Think that about sums it up Tony; we parked on the main quay below the ferry moorings in Porto Kheli on Saturday and visited the PP office to pay mooring fees. A resplendent gold-braided wallah waved us away, saying they didn't collect mooring fees, but "a girl who lives in the little house will collect them." She never did. Neither did the PP want to know about our DEKPA.

We've been pinned to the N quay in Poros since then (don't you just love the N Westerlies), and have been visited by an efficient lady to pay mooring fees - €6.20/day for our Nauticat 35 - and €6 each for water and electricity. We were told to keep the official mooring receipt "in case the PP ask you for it." Again, no sign of officialdom, and apart from the meltemi setting your teeth on edge, it's a great place.

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info
Jim, I can assure you - there's no hearsay in what I've described - I'm not sure whether that comment was pointed in my direction...
No, it certainly wasn't pointed at you! Many thanks for the details you've sent.

What we ideally need when reporting any events is: time; place; boat name; position of official (PP or Dimos - local council); name of official. With this sort of feedback, the Ministry can identify the (very few) problem offices, and also the gripes which cause (again, very few) sailors to "bad mouth" the Greek cruising experience.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
No, it certainly wasn't pointed at you! Many thanks for the details you've sent.

What we ideally need when reporting any events is: time; place; boat name; position of official (PP or Dimos - local council); name of official. With this sort of feedback, the Ministry can identify the (very few) problem offices, and also the gripes which cause (again, very few) sailors to "bad mouth" the Greek cruising experience.

I am making great progress on this one with the Hellenic Coast Guard who have stated that it is a very high priority to get to the bottom of this. It seems that they are very willing to listen to constructive outside opinion. (you just have to find the right people!)

Melody

www.aegeansailingschool.com
I think you're missing the point, or you haven't read all of the thread. If the tax is payable we're perfectly willing to pay it if it is a) Implemented and b) Payable without hiring an interpreter.

I showed that website to our accountant as it was mostly outside the limits of my Greek :) It's a website run by the tax office that you can use for paying all sorts of things. The first drop-down box lets you select the type of tax/Ministry (nautical in your case) and the second one lets you select specifics. He described it as a website for paying 'stamp duty' ie: one-off payments.

What you need to do, if you don't speak Greek, is to go to the nearest KEP office. KEP is sort of the Greek equivalent of the UK Citizen's Advice Bureau and you'll find one in most places of any size. They are wonderful places, most staff speak English and they can help with all sorts of things such as certifying copies of passports, witnessing signatures, issuing European Driving Licences. The nice ladies there (it's usually ladies) will be happy to access the site for you and to explain and complete the information.

This reference to TPP caused some discussion in our office as our accountant thought it had been official since 2013, whereas another person said it hadn't been passed yet. So - find out if you HAVE to pay it first, then, if you do, go to a KEP office.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
I showed that website to our accountant as it was mostly outside the limits of my Greek :) It's a website run by the tax office that you can use for paying all sorts of things. The first drop-down box lets you select the type of tax/Ministry (nautical in your case) and the second one lets you select specifics. He described it as a website for paying 'stamp duty' ie: one-off payments.

What you need to do, if you don't speak Greek, is to go to the nearest KEP office. KEP is sort of the Greek equivalent of the UK Citizen's Advice Bureau and you'll find one in most places of any size. They are wonderful places, most staff speak English and they can help with all sorts of things such as certifying copies of passports, witnessing signatures, issuing European Driving Licences. The nice ladies there (it's usually ladies) will be happy to access the site for you and to explain and complete the information.

This reference to TPP caused some discussion in our office as our accountant thought it had been official since 2013, whereas another person said it hadn't been passed yet. So - find out if you HAVE to pay it first, then, if you do, go to a KEP office.

Melody, The HCG are investigating Porto Helli urgently because the tax, whilst being law, has not yet had a signature for implementation which has to come from both the Finance Ministry and Shipping Ministry.

Re the web site, this is the one which the PP have been recording all new DEKPAs and Temporary imports of NON EU yachts in preparation for the one line payment of the TPP. They have guaranteed to us(the Cruising Association) that it will be in English and will be payable by debit or credit card. I cannot get any feeling for when it will go live, but I think a sure fire advanced warning will be the web site being in English!

I found that the HCG reacted instantly to our report on Porto Helli - we await the outcome having forwarded a very clear and concise affidavit to them about the issue.

I hope you have a good charter season.

Chris

ccscott49

Visit site
Melody, The HCG are investigating Porto Helli urgently because the tax, whilst being law, has not yet had a signature for implementation which has to come from both the Finance Ministry and Shipping Ministry.

Re the web site, this is the one which the PP have been recording all new DEKPAs and Temporary imports of NON EU yachts in preparation for the one line payment of the TPP. They have guaranteed to us(the Cruising Association) that it will be in English and will be payable by debit or credit card. I cannot get any feeling for when it will go live, but I think a sure fire advanced warning will be the web site being in English!

I found that the HCG reacted instantly to our report on Porto Helli - we await the outcome having forwarded a very clear and concise affidavit to them about the issue.

I hope you have a good charter season.

Chris

Any idea yet as to how much this "Tax" will be for a 17 meter yacht and is it every year?

ccscott49

Visit site
See the link in Jim's post, it's #17

Jeeze that's 1307 euros a year, on top of my moorings!! What do I get for this "Tax" and is it legal? I mean to tax another European national just to have his boat in Greece? Oh well I suppose we just have to pay it and be happy! Gits! Why don't they tax the rich bastards who have "stolen" all their tax income? I wont be having a years moorings again, that's for sure, so they have lost that and the VAT on it, I'll anchor all summer!

Tranona

Visit site
Read it carefully and you will find that the tax applies to all boats in Greece, including those owned by Greeks. So they are not picking on you. We (you) are all in this together - to quote a well known politician.

Of course time will tell how effective they are in collecting from everybody!

ccscott49

Visit site
Read it carefully and you will find that the tax applies to all boats in Greece, including those owned by Greeks. So they are not picking on you. We (you) are all in this together - to quote a well known politician.

Of course time will tell how effective they are in collecting from everybody!

Hmmmm! I will wait and see, do greek registered boats need a DEKPA?

Melody

We're already paying the tax on our boats, as far as I'm aware, as we are Greek-flagged and have a tax number. We've done so for two years I think ... so don't feel too hard done by. What they haven't worked out is how to tax those without an address and tax number here.

I think they did put a cap on the figure so there's a maximum of about 700 euro and they may do the same for foreign boats. Remember that a lot of the 'rich bastards' buy and register boats in the UK to avoid having their assets registered here (you have to declare houses, cars, boats, etc, on your annual tax return) so at the moment it's ordinary Greek citizens who are paying not anyone else.

Norman_E

Visit site
Yes. That's your DEKPA, to be stamped once per year. Additional things you need: national registration certificate, proof of insurance that meets Greek requirements, and (if you entered from a non-Schengen country) a crew list with names and passport numbers of all the scruffs you imported from outside the Schengen region.

Full details for most cases we can imagine can be found at http://www.theca.org.uk/news/greektax

Chris, Tony and myself have been working on this on behalf of the Cruising Association (CA) to keep everyone up to date with what's going on over the last couple of years.

If you find any exceptions to what we've written, please let CA know. We need evidence to argue our cases with the Greek Ministries concerned. They're all very helpful, but do want facts, as apart from hearsay.

JimB, for the CA.

Interesting that the DEKPA has to be stamped once a year. I last went to Greece (Symi) in 2013 because my 5 year stay in Turkey was nearly up and I needed to check out of Turkey, and back in again. The previous stamp on my DEKPA was from 2008 and nobody queried why I did not have annual stamps on it when I checked in and later out of Greece.

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
Interesting that the DEKPA has to be stamped once a year. I last went to Greece (Symi) in 2013 because my 5 year stay in Turkey was nearly up and I needed to check out of Turkey, and back in again. The previous stamp on my DEKPA was from 2008 and nobody queried why I did not have annual stamps on it when I checked in and later out of Greece.

That's because firstly you only need a stamp if you're in Greek waters and secondly you originally needed a stamp in each port you visited, later amended to once a month later amended to once a year.......

Melody

Hmmmm! I will wait and see, do greek registered boats need a DEKPA?

Can't tell you that as a DEKPA is for private yachts and ours are all commercial so I've never even seen a DEKPA.

I doubt if you need one if you are permanently resident here and your boat is Greek flagged and kept here as I think they record entry to the country don't they?

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
Can't tell you that as a DEKPA is for private yachts and ours are all commercial so I've never even seen a DEKPA.

I doubt if you need one if you are permanently resident here and your boat is Greek flagged and kept here as I think they record entry to the country don't they?

Melody, my understanding is that all private pleasure vessels operating in Greek waters require one if they are over ten metres in length. That is to be amended to seven metres when the TPP is brought in, as that is the starting point for the TPP. The document doesn't record exits from Greece but does record re-entry: but that is more to do with no one being bothered about when you leave. It seems to have been designed to record all ports visited as there is a space for an entry stamp and a departure stamp for each port. However, it now only needs stamping once a year so it's function would seem, from now onwards, to be a mechanism for recording payment of the TPP.

When the TPP comes in it will be important to visit the PP and get the thing stamped when you leave Greece or if your boat is lifted, as your liability to the TPP stops at that point. No worries if the boat is under 12 metres, as the TPP is a one off payment, important for over 12 metres as you can opt to pay monthly only for the time you're in Greek water or for the time your boat is in the water.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Melody, my understanding is that all private pleasure vessels operating in Greek waters require one if they are over ten metres in length. That is to be amended to seven metres when the TPP is brought in, as that is the starting point for the TPP. The document doesn't record exits from Greece but does record re-entry: but that is more to do with no one being bothered about when you leave. It seems to have been designed to record all ports visited as there is a space for an entry stamp and a departure stamp for each port. However, it now only needs stamping once a year so it's function would seem, from now onwards, to be a mechanism for recording payment of the TPP.

When the TPP comes in it will be important to visit the PP and get the thing stamped when you leave Greece or if your boat is lifted, as your liability to the TPP stops at that point. No worries if the boat is under 12 metres, as the TPP is a one off payment, important for over 12 metres as you can opt to pay monthly only for the time you're in Greek water or for the time your boat is in the water.

Hi, there already is a requirement for a DEKPA over 7 meters and it is being enforced. Part of the reason is that all boats are being registered by PP as and when new ones are issued. Are longer term cruisers on the computer register yet? I dont know, but there are a long list of operational details to which answers would be useful - and knowing how and where my yacht is recorded on a computer system is just part of the picture.