Greek Cruising Tax update from the CA

grumpygit

Visit site
I do remember reading an article about including a port in SSR registration but maybe it was on the lines of 'Sea View of Birmingham'.

I can 99.9% guarantee my home and port that's on my SSR will not be on the list. I haven't tried the site yet and I don't intend to rush in to it either.
I don't need my DEKPA stamp until the 1st of June so plenty time for the Greeks to iron out the gremlins . . . . . . Maybe!!

jordanbasset

Visit site
I thought I was mis-remembering but have just checked, I have no port recorded on my SSR, just date of expiry, SSR number, sailing yacht, length, name of boat, HIN number and my name as registered owner.
Where on the SSR have people got the port listed, I can't even see a space for it

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I thought I was mis-remembering but have just checked, I have no port recorded on my SSR, just date of expiry, SSR number, sailing yacht, length, name of boat, HIN number and my name as registered owner.
Where on the SSR have people got the port listed, I can't even see a space for it

Neil the SSR says cardiff that's why I have always entered cardiff and not Ipswich

Garold

Visit site
We registered on line this morning with the emails coming back immediately, printed the attachments at the local chandler, and paid at the main post office in Nidri this afternoon.

My wife said that the two people in front of her at the post office were also paying Tepai tax. We waited until a couple of others on the pontoon had paid their tax at the post office, so when we paid ours they were well used to what the forms were about.

We have a couple of neighbours who are stuck at various stages of the process but they were mainly people who tried to register late last week. Anyone who registered today or yesterday seemed to register and get their activation emails straight away. I understand that those that are delayed are expecting emails to progress further later today.

It looks like more of us will have small printers on board next year because to pay in the bank or post office you need the printed pay in form. Paying on line will be better though if/when they have a credit card payment system.

Garold

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
We registered with no problem apart from the absence of Beaumaris in their list. Used Holyhead instead, submitted the form, e-mail back in 5 minutes. Paid from our Dutch bank account, it didn't like a 20 digit number but allowed us to add 4 to the 16 they preferred. Sent off in about 10 minutes, hopefully it will arrive soon, although always a delay of a day or so when we pay our marina fees.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
[FONT=&quot]Emails appear to have been sent out.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Anyone who is still stuck at the registration page, send me a PM with their email address so that I can send on to the Greeks to clear.
I hope I get none![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Lets hope that is solved.[/FONT]

macd

Visit site
Vic, it doesn't say that on the front of mine, on the back with details about how to renew etc and it gives the address of the SSR in Cardiff in order to do that.

I don't think it says that on the front of any SSR certificate. They have no attributed port of registry.
But on the basis that the port of registry was, historically, the port that held the paperwork, I can't see anyone being affronted by your putting "Cardiff". (Lucky that de-centralizing didn't land (pun intended) the registry in, say, Buxton.)

FWIW, a Part 1 certificate also gives a Cardiff address on the reverse, but very specifically a (usually) different specified port of registry on the front.

SSR is a government fudge. Please feel free to continue the tradition. ;)

mbroom

Visit site
We registered on line this morning with the emails coming back immediately, printed the attachments at the local chandler, and paid at the main post office in Nidri this afternoon.

My wife said that the two people in front of her at the post office were also paying Tepai tax. We waited until a couple of others on the pontoon had paid their tax at the post office, so when we paid ours they were well used to what the forms were about.

We have a couple of neighbours who are stuck at various stages of the process but they were mainly people who tried to register late last week. Anyone who registered today or yesterday seemed to register and get their activation emails straight away. I understand that those that are delayed are expecting emails to progress further later today.

It looks like more of us will have small printers on board next year because to pay in the bank or post office you need the printed pay in form. Paying on line will be better though if/when they have a credit card payment system.

Garold

I paid at the Preveza Post Office by handing over my iPad with the email on screen. This was accepted easily. However the Port Policeman had a shouting fit when he asked for the paper....

sailaboutvic

Visit site
My question , how do you prove to have paid when ( ! ?? ) a coast guard patrol boat stops you ?

Is it the self printed paper with a number on it ? Is a copy on your phone or laptop sufficient ?

As to the exemption for classic yachts, that is a joke. Nobody seems to know how to get that exemption. I guess the exemption has a reason only known to certain Greeks. ( the ones with lawyers )
This may be of some help to you but you have to translate it .

https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/ΦΕ...u4CqKx74YpqTIz_ZS_QydqbH7nXOgZn9AsjQoedX0CqZB

OldBawley

Visit site
Thanks Vic.

The document was already in my possession. I had it translated by Google.
It reads like every ministerial decision, it is made up in a way that I can not understand it.
So I asked help from a few Greek yachty´s.
So far no one could help, even for them it is goblegoble.

Not easy to be classified as a traditional yacht. For instance you need a signed drawing of the yacht.

The naval architect who designed my yacht is dead. So is his son who was an architect as well.

The yacht is 80 years old and has an estimated value of minus 10.000 € ( for the demolition )
Investments as having a yacht designer draw and sign the yacht are not wise.

It all boils down to knowing someone. Here in Poros is a traditional caique owned by a very wealthy family. I talked to the skipper of that big caique, he did not even know about the new tax.

Neither did a French and a Czechoslovakian owner.

Two days ago the Swiss owner of a big classic who was anchored near Poros town quay was summoned by someone in a small boat to report to the harbour office.

He was ordered to go and pay the new tax ( he did pay for one month cash ) and some nasty questions concerning illegal chartering ware made. The skipper is now in Swiss so I can not talk to him directly. This information came from friends taking care of the boat while the skipper is away.

cmedsailor

Visit site
Thanks Vic.

The document was already in my possession. I had it translated by Google.
It reads like every ministerial decision, it is made up in a way that I can not understand it.
So I asked help from a few Greek yachty´s.
So far no one could help, even for them it is goblegoble.

Not easy to be classified as a traditional yacht. For instance you need a signed drawing of the yacht.

The naval architect who designed my yacht is dead. So is his son who was an architect as well.

The yacht is 80 years old and has an estimated value of minus 10.000 € ( for the demolition )
Investments as having a yacht designer draw and sign the yacht are not wise.

It all boils down to knowing someone. Here in Poros is a traditional caique owned by a very wealthy family. I talked to the skipper of that big caique, he did not even know about the new tax.

Neither did a French and a Czechoslovakian owner.

Two days ago the Swiss owner of a big classic who was anchored near Poros town quay was summoned by someone in a small boat to report to the harbour office.

He was ordered to go and pay the new tax ( he did pay for one month cash ) and some nasty questions concerning illegal chartering ware made. The skipper is now in Swiss so I can not talk to him directly. This information came from friends taking care of the boat while the skipper is away.

If I translate quickly the government official paper:

Article 1,
Paragraph 1a: built in a proved (per Greek/international books) Greek and European traditional method.
Paragraph 1b: built using materials used in traditional Greek and European boat building. Materials used inside that do not change the look of the boat are excluded.
Paragraph 1c: If the boat has sails these must comply with the type of sails used by the relevant traditional Greek/European boat (I suppose that means you cannot use a code zero on a trexantiri..!)
Paragraph 2 gives a long list of acceptable traditional boats

Article 2 gives two categories of traditional boats. Category 1 if the boat was built as explained in article 1 and category 2 if even the interior was built using traditional materials.
The article continuous saying that inspection is made by 3 inspectors and a 5 year certificate is issued.
Additionally, in order to apply (article 2c), you need to send the relevant application, photographs signed by a registered/approved ship builder and copies of some other official documents.

So it seems most important is to find a registered person that can sign the photographs of your boat as a proof that it can be classified as traditional based on the requirements listed.

OldBawley

Visit site
Thanks, as you see, the procedure to get approved is not simple. Where find a qualified shipbuilder in Greece ? I know of a yard in Spetses still building smaller Greek wooden boats, but I am pretty sure the guy has no papers. Why would he ?

Our boat is a small Bawley, build 1945. I have an article from a French yachting magazine from 1947 describing in 4 pages the build of our boat. If our boat is no classic then no boat is.
On top of that I get 3 to 4 pictures of our boat a week on instagram. Lots of drone video´s as well. Probably the most photographed yacht in Greece. However, that can be because the boat is also a bit “ special”. You know, the yawl lugsail has so many patches on it that it looks as a pirate movie sailing boat. And i look like Johnny Depp but bald. And schrunken.

I have been attending the Spetses classic race week for a few years now. Not to race, I sail solo and use standard 4 sails, racing is not my thing. ( Can´t stand losing ) Maybe if God permits I visit Spetses classic regatta this year and try to get contacts there.

Earl Grey

Visit site
Excuse my ignorance, I'v had knuckles wrapped for asking a question which is covered in FAQs already, but......... If one has a receipt from PO or bank to add to ships papers is one not covered re a Port Police review of paperwork should one be boarded?
Or is this something else I have failed to grasp?

Artic Warrior

Visit site
Excuse my ignorance, I'v had knuckles wrapped for asking a question which is covered in FAQs already, but......... If one has a receipt from PO or bank to add to ships papers is one not covered re a Port Police review of paperwork should one be boarded?
Or is this something else I have failed to grasp?

Speaking to the port police here tonight in evia they said even the paid receipt from the bank is not proof.
they said they need the piece of paper where it shows the status is paid and printed out.