Greek Cruising Tax update from the CA

vasant

Visit site
reading point 6.3 that no evidence is required to prove the boat is out of the water on the dry is very weird for greek authority.
Usually you will have to bring so much evidence that you will prefer to pay.

In practise in areas where you know control is unlikely nobody will pay, except summer period where the PP is more active.

jordanbasset

Visit site
Listening to a couple of people yesterday who went to the Port Police to get their Dekpa sttamped, lots of problems with the PP initially refusing to stamp the DEKPA until the tax was paid. Only a after a lot of argueing and some phone calls did they get their stamp. This was in Lefkas, maybe different elsewhere

Chris_Robb

Visit site
And what about the dekpa stamp ? have to get that as well ?

Yes - but they wont stamp (attest) it until you have paid the tax......

As there is no reference to the DEKPA - which has a unique number on it - in the registration details - it seems to be a redundant bit of paper - but its not. It also requires you when putting the vessel out of use when hauled out, to deposit your papers with Port Police - in conflict with the TEPAI instructions.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Listening to a couple of people yesterday who went to the Port Police to get their Dekpa sttamped, lots of problems with the PP initially refusing to stamp the DEKPA until the tax was paid. Only a after a lot of argueing and some phone calls did they get their stamp. This was in Lefkas, maybe different elsewhere

This is potentially a big problem - especially as we have some people stuck in their registration process. Are they seriously going to fine some one on their over due DEKPA at this stage!

We want the DEKPA dropped and we are asking for it to be clarified.

OldBawley

Visit site
My question , how do you prove to have paid when ( ! ?? ) a coast guard patrol boat stops you ?

Is it the self printed paper with a number on it ? Is a copy on your phone or laptop sufficient ?

As to the exemption for classic yachts, that is a joke. Nobody seems to know how to get that exemption. I guess the exemption has a reason only known to certain Greeks. ( the ones with lawyers )

sailaboutvic

Visit site
In practise in areas where you know control is unlikely nobody will pay, except summer period where the PP is more active.

I think your right I don't think the Italian are going to be paying for some weeks trip nor some who anchor out and know there cruising area well and are very unlikely to get caught ,

Boats Below 12 mts will mostly pay as the sums aren't that much .

Emails I had with cruisers we know from other parts of Europe especially our German and French friends who still in Greece have no intention of rushing off to pay the tax , it seen only us brits can't wait to hand over their money .

I can see this going back to the old days where we had to get a stamp in every port , where people never bothered and kept their head down .
Fines or no fines and if caught ague the toss that they just arrived and trying to find out how to pay.
It's going to be an interesting season in Greece ,

Last edited:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
@Chris Robb,
Here a interesting question Chris what happen in a case where a boat arrange to be hauled out in a particular date , arrive on that date in Greece waters , would they need to pay the tax for that month?
I would guess most wouldn't even ask the question just go and get hauled out , I know I would any way .

Last edited:

Chris_Robb

Visit site
@Chris Robb,
Here a interesting question Chris what happen in a case where a boat arrange to be hauled out in a particular date , arrive on that date in Greece waters , would they need to pay the tax for that month?
I would guess most wouldn't even ask the question just go and get hauled out , I know I would any way .
I have added this to the list for the FAQs

Please all note that the Tax System is down for maintenance for the week end - available Monday

grumpygit

Visit site
Not wishing to add to any further confusion but I have just had this link passed on.

https://www.ibinews.com/regulation/boating-e-registry-system-launches-in-greece/33063.article

This does appear to be something different from the "Cruising Tax". Locally in my Greek area it is believed that this has to be done for all boats in Greek waters regardless of length, such as RIB's, dinghy's, etc. whether powered by engine, sail or oars.

Can anyone please give some clarity to this or is this publication just misleading?

macd

Visit site
This does appear to be something different from the "Cruising Tax". Locally in my Greek area it is believed that this has to be done for all boats in Greek waters regardless of length, such as RIB's, dinghy's, etc. whether powered by engine, sail or oars.

You may have noticed the acronym AADE ( ΑΑΔΕ) in that release. aade.gr is the on-line fiscal system through which the cruising tax may be paid, although it also has many other purposes. Plenty of references to it in this thread.

Last edited:

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Not wishing to add to any further confusion but I have just had this link passed on.

https://www.ibinews.com/regulation/boating-e-registry-system-launches-in-greece/33063.article

Can anyone please give some clarity to this or is this publication just misleading?

Grumpy... refers to the system for Greek boat which stared a year ago

grumpygit

Visit site
You may have noticed the acronym AADE ( ΑΑΔΕ) in that release. aade.gr is the on-line fiscal system through which the cruising tax may be paid, although it also has many other purposes. Plenty of references to it in this thread.

There is 600+ posts on this that you can't expect me or anyone to re read. I did a search with no avail and of course I noticed the giveaway AADE clue, but what the article is referring is a "e-register" and not a "cruising tax"
Basically are they the same thing or not.

grumpygit

Visit site
Grumpy... refers to the system for Greek boat which stared a year ago

Chris, you posted while I was typing my last post. I have not heard of this registration until yesterday and I can't seem to find anything on this site about it.
A bit more news from here is that a Greek accountant has told the local boat owners of all flags that the cut off date is the 15th May but this will probably not be upheld.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Chris, you posted while I was typing my last post. I have not heard of this registration until yesterday and I can't seem to find anything on this site about it.
A bit more news from here is that a Greek accountant has told the local boat owners of all flags that the cut off date is the 15th May but this will probably not be upheld.

Actually 10 days grace so 18th

lask

Visit site
And the site is down until the 13th so there's no help there . . . . .
I'm still not clear on the difference between the e-register and the e-TEPAI.
For us, do we have to do both or does the e-TEPAI suffice as the e-register
vessels flying a flag other than GREECE do not participate in the electronic logbook when it does not concern you. TEPAι is a type of circulation tax in the maritime territory of GREECE

grumpygit

Visit site
vessels flying a flag other than GREECE do not participate in the electronic logbook when it does not concern you. TEPAι is a type of circulation tax in the maritime territory of GREECE

That is why I initially asked the question because there seemed to be some confusion locally and perhaps on here. I think this below sums up your statement thank you.

5. Which ships must be registered in the e-boat register?

(a) Private recreational vessels with Greek flags
(b) professional recreational craft with Greek flags
(c) A professional recreational vessel of a flag of another Member State of the European Union
The Union (EU) and the European Economic Area (EEA) or national flags
outside the EU, under the conditions set aside between the Greek ports,
hereinafter "foreign flag"

6. There is an obligation to enter into the Register of private trades with foreign persons
flag?

It is not necessary to register in an e-register for vessels for a private vessel under a foreign flag
Of Law 4256/14, however, remain liable for the payment of compensation for ships
Recreation and Highways (TEPAI), in accordance with the provisions of the Law 4211/2013.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
reading point 6.3 that no evidence is required to prove the boat is out of the water on the dry is very weird for greek authority.
Usually you will have to bring so much evidence that you will prefer to pay.

Out of Use by being Hauled out was one of our campaign Mrs May items (red lines) I though that they were not going along with it. - But they have - I think the Port Police - who I lobbied from their side agreed with the Fear selling - of sheer numbers that they would be dealing with.

Next plan is to get the DEKPA brought into line with it, and then to get rid of the DEKPA which should in theory be redundant.

From the Greek point of view - what would their argument be to keep the DEKPA (apart from they have always had it) as the TEPAI seems to be a much better vehicle for controlling Greek not paying their taxes....
Note: Only some that is - ie the ones that can afford to pay do not and vice versa.