Greek Cruising Tax update from the CA

Irish Rover

Visit site
A letter of Authorization in required to appoint any one. It can be anyone.
Technically it needs to be Notarized by a Greek Notary. I need to teleport to Greece....
From previous experience of getting paperwork completed for Turkey I'd imagine this can be done in a Greek Embassy or Consulate in the UK or wherever you happen to be.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
From previous experience of getting paperwork completed for Turkey I'd imagine this can be done in a Greek Embassy or Consulate in the UK or wherever you happen to be.

Greece is worse..... Anyway, its outrageous to expect anyone to do that all because they are launching the tax prematurely!

The Form to register and pay is here if anyone wants to print it out. sod - its 500K - to big for this forum.

Any one who want sit PM me with their email details.

grumpygit

Visit site
A letter of Authorization in required to appoint any one. It can be anyone.
Technically it needs to be Notarized by a Greek Notary. I need to teleport to Greece....

This is correct, basically any third party acting for an owner needs a Power of Attorney which has to be technically notarised at a Greek Notary.
Not the easiest of processes unless you know your way around the system and the offices, as in the norm quite easy once you've done it for the first time. You could risk winging this process, but that all depends on friendliness PP.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Thank for that info Chris ,
at last we can making plains ,
non stop sail from Malta to Turkey or as my partner been catching up with her French , Sardinia and the south of France .
it's not just the extra cost but you can imagine the chaos there going to be this year in PP offices all over Greece .
Shame about Greece , but hey it's their lost , The Med is one very big place .

Last edited:

De.windhoos

Visit site
Greece is worse..... Anyway, its outrageous to expect anyone to do that all because they are launching the tax prematurely!

The Form to register and pay is here if anyone wants to print it out. sod - its 500K - to big for this forum.

Any one who want sit PM me with their email details.

Hi Chris, thanks you for the update. 2 questions:
1) Any news on the complaint with the EU?
2) what happens if you go to Greece, immediately go on the hard (same day) and put your boat out of bond? Would you need to get a DEKPA and pay the tax for 1 month?

Thanks,
Edward

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Hi Chris, thanks you for the update. 2 questions:
1) Any news on the complaint with the EU?
2) what happens if you go to Greece, immediately go on the hard (same day) and put your boat out of bond? Would you need to get a DEKPA and pay the tax for 1 month?

Thanks,
Edward
Edward - have been at the CA with our annual Med section seminar - subjects covered Brexit effect on yachts/Vat and this tax.

in answer to your questions
1. Only news I have is that the case has been passed to a handler - many don't get that far.
a) There is doubt whether being out of the water is necessary, just the action of depositing your documents formally should do that OK. - just watch this space or the CA news.
b) I assume from your question that you are not in Greece yet. So Go to Port Police - check in and ask for DEKPA (€50) - They will explain how to pay, but usually it means going to a local bank and bringing a receipt back.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
With CA and Members of this forum reporting back in the last day or so, the consensus of opinions covering Prevessa, Lavrio and others, is that the PP have no formal instructions at all yet. They doubt it will be brought in, and the Lavrio Port Police explained that is was only beiong done to make Greeks pay......

I think the Port Police know the amount of work it WILL entail, and they will refuse to do it.

Here's hoping to that!

Anyone care to run a book on the likely outcome.....

OldBawley

Visit site
to make Greeks pay......

No way.
Here in Poros for instance, no Greek with a boat will pay simply because he lives in a small town on a small island and he has cousins, maybe sons working for the Port police. Everybody is related.
Half of the male population below 80 is working for the port police, normal police or coast guard.
Lots of women as well.

grumpygit

Visit site
With CA and Members of this forum reporting back in the last day or so, the consensus of opinions covering Prevessa, Lavrio and others, is that the PP have no formal instructions at all yet. They doubt it will be brought in, and the Lavrio Port Police explained that is was only beiong done to make Greeks pay......

I think the Port Police know the amount of work it WILL entail, and they will refuse to do it.

Here's hoping to that!

Anyone care to run a book on the likely outcome.....[/QUOTE

Thanks again Chris for your tireless efforts. Not being a betting man but I would put it as, definitely odds against this happening.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
First thanks to Chris for the effort to keep us informed, and thanks to the CA.

My situation is typical to over half the yacht owners with their boats in Greece. I am in my home country waiting out the winter before I travel to Greece to start the season.

Like many, my boat was hauled out into a recognised boatyard (Ionian Marine) at the end of last season before the winter of 2018. There was no indication that I needed to hand over my registration certificate to the port police so like probably all boat owners I have my registration docs in my possession.

It seems that it is not enough to have my boat sitting in a boatyard out of the water and therefore out of use. I must use an agent to prove this simple fact before 15 days or I will be liable for a hefty fine.

Forum rules will not allow me to give my un- censored opinion of this idiotic situation I have been put in by a bunch of bloody minded fools.

Personally I am now looking forward to getting out of Greece at the earliest time I can safely manage.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Forgot to mention that I have tried to book a flight to Greece but failed to find a slot until after April 2nd. This may be due to Max 8 being grounded and producing a shortage of aircraft I have no idea. The flights around mid April cost a fortune even by Ryanair. I fly from Sweden west coast which means Gothenburg or Copenhagen.

I am very angry about this and Chris, you can pass my comments to the Greek ministry if you wish.

Garold

Visit site
First thanks to Chris for the effort to keep us informed, and thanks to the CA.

My situation is typical to over half the yacht owners with their boats in Greece. I am in my home country waiting out the winter before I travel to Greece to start the season.

Like many, my boat was hauled out into a recognised boatyard (Ionian Marine) at the end of last season before the winter of 2018. There was no indication that I needed to hand over my registration certificate to the port police so like probably all boat owners I have my registration docs in my possession.

It seems that it is not enough to have my boat sitting in a boatyard out of the water and therefore out of use. I must use an agent to prove this simple fact before 15 days or I will be liable for a hefty fine.

Forum rules will not allow me to give my un- censored opinion of this idiotic situation I have been put in by a bunch of bloody minded fools.

Personally I am now looking forward to getting out of Greece at the earliest time I can safely manage.

We are in exactly the same position.

I toyed with the idea of flying to Preveza for a couple of days early in April to try to pay the tax, but it looks like the port police may not be ready to take payments - so not worth booking the flights.

We plan to arrive early May, a week after our yacht has been launched (from Cleopatra) so I suppose that we may get a fine for April, which is probably no more costly than flying there to try to sort it out in early April.

It’s tempting to voice my frustrations about the cock up over this tax, but as a Brit I guess Brexit may do more harm to my cruising aspirations than any two-bit badly organised Greek cruising tax.

We will be sailing to Croatia this season but even taking a few days to stock the boat before we get out of the Ionian, I feel that I need to pay the tax if it’s due. And then try to sort out the cruising tax in Croatia (and their fees for National Parks).

This years cruising season seems to be starting with a bundle of aggravation that would be easy to cloud the whole season. I know that most of these problems could just fade away but at the moment for Brit cruisers with a boat currently in Greece hoping to visit Croatia this season, it’s a dreary outlook.

Garold

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Guys guys guys , stop stressing , for a start unless for some reason you can't launch your boats without showing the tax been paid , and for this years at the less there not much chance of that especially has they are going to have there hands full if the tax comes in ,
personally if I was you guys I just launch and sail out asap .
It's going to be one hell of a fu@k up .
If people just moved out at less for this year the tax would be a non started , but why there people around who have more money then sense and keep going on how the Greeks need the money , tax isn't that bad and there happy to pay,
the greed Greek are laughing all the way to the bank .
I be dam if I will give them one cent towards any unfair taxes ,
They got 7k from me last year , this year it be zero ,

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Latest info is that no PP have received information about the tax. The thought of 2500 owners trying to pay at Preveza on 1st of every month is laughable. I cannot see them accepting any instruction on these lines.

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
just had a broken message from a Custom officer in Porto Rafti.

The police cannot take money,.so cannot fine you. Maybe you get a monthly ticket.
We are now busy enter ( Greek flag) in the system registry. € 500.

I don't understand it and will phone later to find out more.