Greek Cruising Tax update from the CA

De.windhoos

Visit site
I think it was Vyv last year who also said he seen the same thing happen but in his case the PP visit ever boat except the Turkish boat , correct me if I am wrong Vyv

Same happend last year in Pedri, Simi during Bayram. Lots of Turkish boats in the bay, with was fun trying to see them anchor 20 centimeters apart with poor holding... First the Turkish and then the other Non-EU boats were checked for transit logs. Some very angry people. Entertaining to watch :excitement:

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Having spent too long going through the latest publications from the Greeks, a bit of reflection is needed in understanding where we actually are now.
SO what has changed in our knowledge of how this tax will work?
NOTHING. We know exactly what we knew last December when I sent my analysis document to the Greeks. There is perhaps ONE piece of new information.
Out of Use: This is the headline on the brochure issued here
https://www.aade.gr/sites/default/files/2019-03/tepai-E-BROCHURE-ΕΝ_0.pdf
and FAQ's Here
https://www.aade.gr/sites/default/files/2019-03/FAQS_EN_eTEPAI (2)_0.pdf

Ships within the Greek territory but off-water, e.g. at a ship parking lot or in private premises, are not liable to pay TEPAI as not being in Greek territorial waters. (However, as soon as they enter such waters, TEPAI is immediately due)

However this is in total conflict with the FAQ's which mentioned it at one point , but not so clearly. However, it was in total conflict to the other instruction to about Out of Use. The Key is in the words is not liable to, ​and not the use of the word - exempt - so you still need to put it out of use formally.......

So where are we?
Until the above point is clarified, no further at all.
We have done virtually everything that we can to persuade the Greeks to delay this tax until the technology is ready.

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
I have this morning again spoke to a Coastguard officer and he said .No one has paid any Tax and does not know if they will pay.
He is a master sergeant and at this time, knows nothing about it implementation.I
Perhaps it's still a secret.

alexsailor

Visit site
I hear there will be a floating border N of Erikoussa for all yachts coming from Italy, Montenegro, Croatia, Albania...
It will be so to speak "drive/sail in customs/tax/DEKPA cash box office"
No ATM so bring cash! Lots of it!

:cool:

So much fuss about tax, Brexit and so on...
There is no rule or tax in this world that will stop me from sailing!
Whatever will be... it will be sorted out.
Drink Mythos and enjoy.

vasant

Visit site
given all this announcements i believe the app will be soon ready.
Hope i am wrong but usually if postponement is expected there is also silence beforehand....

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Just received the Email from Ionian Marine. Only thing new is the link to an agent who I must use to enable application translated in Greek as proof that my boat is ashore IN THEIR BLOODY YARD to the Port Police for out of use consideration.

That's it folks. How stupid can it get. The boatyard where my boat is ashore is recommending an agent to prove that my boat is ashore in their yard. Translated application? Apart from registration and Depka handed in I have to pay for an agent to handle this, it seems in Greek.

Last edited:

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Just received the Email from Ionian Marine. Only thing new is the link to an agent who I must use to enable application translated in Greek as proof that my boat is ashore IN THEIR BLOODY YARD to the Port Police for out of use consideration.

That's it folks. How stupid can it get. The boatyard where my boat is ashore is recommending an agent to prove that my boat is ashore in their yard. Translated application? Apart from registration and Depka handed in I have to pay for an agent to handle this, it seems in Greek.
And now for the good news.

Due to be announced tomorrow Friday 29th.
The tax is delayed until 2nd May 2019.

And

It is CONFIRMED that if you are out of the Water you are EXEMPT from the tax. No need to file papers with Port Police.

Potential issue with DEKPA which still requires docs to be filed if out of Use. We have asked that this is brought into line.

They are listening!

The new on line system will be ready soon.

BurnitBlue

Visit site

And

It is CONFIRMED that if you are out of the Water you are EXEMPT from the tax. No need to file papers with Port Police.

Potential issue with DEKPA which still requires docs to be filed if out of Use. We have asked that this is brought into line.

They are listening!

Excellent news Chris. Thank you. The email from Ionian Marine was sent yesterday 27th at 14:40. Your news stopped me from doing the baby in the bathwater thing and launching before antifoul just to get the hell out of Greece ASAP. I'm serious Chris, I was so angry I was going to launch as is. Actually I may have calmed down before launch. May get angry again on May 2nd though.

Besonders

Med for the summer, Caribbean for the winter
Visit site

And

They are listening!

That is good news, thanks for the prompt update and the work you have done so far

AndrewB

Visit site

"Categorically, there will be no postponement. We would know this." Gouvia Marina Staff 5 minutes ago (11am 29th March).

Do please post again when you hear.

PS Does anyone know how to get the AADE site in English?

Last edited:

Chris_Robb

Visit site
"Categorically, there will be no postponement. We would know this." Gouvia Marina Staff 5 minutes ago (11am 29th March).

Do please post again when you hear.

PS Does anyone know how to get the AADE site in English?

The decision was made ate 10am uk time on Thursday. It then has to be signed into law by Ministerial decision - that will be later today (Friday). This WILL happen.

The AADE site is in Greek and English for this announcement here
https://www.aade.gr/polites/etepai

There are 4 documents - the second of each set is in English.

The changes and clarifications will take a few days to get onto them.

Hopefully we will get a sight of the Online system before it goes live and iron out any queries then - but I am not holding my breath.

anterak

Visit site
Well, i think it's a normal to pay something to the country where your boat is used.
And if you consider general economic situation of Greece, i'm not surprise by a new taxe.

Until now for EU sailors, DEPKA was an amount of 50 €/year. That's nothing.
I understand that when you move around europe with your car, you didn't pay anything to drive around the other country. Except places like France or Italy where you have to pay to private companies to use highways.
I'm just not agree with prices above 12 m. Number of sailor, for some are retired people, it's common for a sail boat to be around 40 feet. 96€/month it's a huge price for them, it's 1152€/year only for 12 m (396€/year for 39 feet !!!)

Greek politicians should have calculated a softer progressivity.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Well, i think it's a normal to pay something to the country where your boat is used.
And if you consider general economic situation of Greece, i'm not surprise by a new taxe.

Until now for EU sailors, DEPKA was an amount of 50 €/year. That's nothing.
I understand that when you move around europe with your car, you didn't pay anything to drive around the other country. Except places like France or Italy where you have to pay to private companies to use highways.
I'm just not agree with prices above 12 m. Number of sailor, for some are retired people, it's common for a sail boat to be around 40 feet. 96€/month it's a huge price for them, it's 1152€/year only for 12 m (396€/year for 39 feet !!!)

Greek politicians should have calculated a softer progressivity.

The reason for the large jump is that they have a significant number of voters with boats under 12 meters. It was felt that the effect on the much poorer (in general) end of the nations boaters would be too great, and that the real aim was to tax the larger end of the market. In effect this tax is a method of making the wealthier Greeks pay the tax - before they just set up an overseas company. We could say we are collateral damage.