Greece. Currency swap period

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
One of the attendant problems which has not been much discussed is the fact that the Greek banks face being shut out of the liquidity provisions underwritten by the ECB. If Greece defaults on its debt payments, the the ECB will turn off the tap. That's what will trigger the government closing the banking system down a la Cyprus. That may to give time to issue a scrip currency or to go cap in hand for yet more help from the ECB/EU. Whichever way you look at it, the next few weeks could be quite interesting.

macd

Visit site
If a tourist arrives in Greece with a pocket full of Euros he will be OK.

Sailing folk would do better to get the ferry to Italy for more Euros

I'm sure you're right, although clearly the same would be true for a liveaboard with Euros.

Daft going to Italy unless you're in the Ionian. Turkey is closer and packed with banks/ATMs which are happy to dole out Euros (usually at a better rate than you'd get in Italy). Part of the reason for that, of course, is that the Euro is a de facto second currency in Turkey, a situation I can well see being duplicated in Greece should there be a banking collapse/Grexit.

Tony Cross

Visit site
I'm sure you're right, although clearly the same would be true for a liveaboard with Euros.

Daft going to Italy unless you're in the Ionian. Turkey is closer and packed with banks/ATMs which are happy to dole out Euros (usually at a better rate than you'd get in Italy). Part of the reason for that, of course, is that the Euro is a de facto second currency in Turkey, a situation I can well see being duplicated in Greece should there be a banking collapse/Grexit.

I would also advise yachties coming to Greece to arrive with full fuel tanks, diesel and petrol will become pretty scarce pretty quickly I would have thought.

Max K

N/A
Visit site
I would also advise yachties coming to Greece to arrive with full fuel tanks, diesel and petrol will become pretty scarce pretty quickly I would have thought.

Just filled mine up at £1 a litre and intend to seal the cap whilst we're away in the UK for the next three weeks. Just on a "why not" basis, not really expecting any problems but life has always taught me to me careful and minimise risk.

Max.

grumpygit

Visit site
Just filled mine up at £1 a litre and intend to seal the cap whilst we're away in the UK for the next three weeks. Just on a "why not" basis, not really expecting any problems but life has always taught me to me careful and minimise risk.

Max.

For a £ a litre it is probably a wise move on any basis, although I haven't checked out any prices lately.
I really don't think supply of fuels will be affected too much especially if it's paid for in the €. The supply will either come through it's normal routes or via Russia, l don't see a problem and most of us are raggies but some might have been tied up so long that the art may be forgotten.

Last edited:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Yesterday I read that the Germany said that greece is getting close to an agreement , to day I read Germany says the gap has got wider , I wounder what they are going to say to morrow ?

Tony Cross

Visit site
Yesterday I read that the Germany said that greece is getting close to an agreement , to day I read Germany says the gap has got wider , I wounder what they are going to say to morrow ?

Perhaps they're using the Greek αúριο which as you now doesn't mean tomorrow (although that's the literal translation) it just means "not today".......

akyaka

Visit site

The Euro may be the currency of Turkish marinas and accepted in a few holiday resorts such as Marmaris but is certainly not generally accepted or available and in no way can be considered a second currency.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
The Euro may be the currency of Turkish marinas and accepted in a few holiday resorts such as Marmaris but is certainly not generally accepted or available and in no way can be considered a second currency.

Funny really when we asked about hiring a car or buy something if once out for a meal we got ask if we want the price in sterling .i wonder when Turkish people are in the UK if They get ask if they want the price in TL .

Last edited:

akyaka

Visit site
Same applies to mainland Turkey, at least on the Med coast...and not just tourist resorts. Banks are also happy to provide/change quite large amounts of Euros over the counter, often without notice.

Apart from a few ATMS in large places such as Marmaris, Bodrum, Izmir etc our experience living and travelling here is that many ATM machines advertise the facility but do not actually provide,that includes my own in Mugla the Provincial capital; and certainly not when you move away from the coast or into smaller towns and villages. Our village on the coast has 10 ATM and not one will give anything but TL even though they are an option. Banks are always happy to exchange currencies.

macd

Visit site
Apart from a few ATMS in large places such as Marmaris, Bodrum, Izmir etc our experience living and travelling here is that many ATM machines advertise the facility but do not actually provide,that includes my own in Mugla the Provincial capital; and certainly not when you move away from the coast or into smaller towns and villages. Our village on the coast has 10 ATM and not one will give anything but TL even though they are an option. Banks are always happy to exchange currencies.

Obviousy you know Turkey far better than I, Akyaka, but Finike (very far from a tourist town) dispenses Euros with relish. I might add, re the reference to "coast", that that's precisely where most boaters will find themselves. Compared to the UK, which has no second currency, officially or otherwise, I'd reiterate that the Euro is the de facto second currency in most of the areas I've visited (excepting the Black Sea coast). Compare that with the currency of the island I'm from, Manx pounds, which can be freely exchanged at no charge in any UK bank, yet scarcely any retailer in the UK will touch it.

akyaka

Visit site
Obviousy you know Turkey far better than I, Akyaka, but Finike (very far from a tourist town) dispenses Euros with relish. I might add, re the reference to "coast", that that's precisely where most boaters will find themselves. Compared to the UK, which has no second currency, officially or otherwise, I'd reiterate that the Euro is the de facto second currency in most of the areas I've visited (excepting the Black Sea coast). Compare that with the currency of the island I'm from, Manx pounds, which can be freely exchanged at no charge in any UK bank, yet scarcely any retailer in the UK will touch it.
.Would expect nothing else in town like Fineke which has a large marina whose sole currency is Euros.As I said I live on the coast and Euros are most definately not a second currency nor are they in the various sanay intowns around the coast that I have been to to get work done.Of course people will accept foreign currency but usually at a very advantageous exchange rate.

Last edited:

Max K

N/A
Visit site
.Would expect nothing else in town like Fineke which has a large marina whose sole currency is Euros.As I said I live on the coast and Euros are most definately not a second currency nor are they in the various sanay intowns around the coast that I have been to to get work done.Of course people will accept foreign currency but usually at a very advantageous exchange rate.

If (when) Greece leaves the Eurozone, of course the € will still be an acceptable currency. Several of my suppliers will allow me to pay them in $US, £Sterling or € already. A "Nea Drachma" will just mean yet another till (or back pocket)!

Max.

Jegs

Visit site
Tony ,I am glad someone gets off his arse and organises something. I Bet Grumpy and Max have never done anything useful in their lives.

Chris,

Why do need to make personal remarks, surely reasoned refutation would be better?

ATB,

John G