Greece. Currency swap period

grumpygit

Visit site
Nobody is forced to read any thread. Clearly some people are enjoying commenting on Greece because that thread is updated almost daily. If you don't like it then don't read it. Simple.

But if one doesn't read it how does one draw a conclusion to it's merit. For me I'd much prefer something interesting and informative and not something that has become so repetitive, drawn out and burnt out. Simple !
Or is it just down to a lack of imagination?

Tony Cross

Visit site
But if one doesn't read it how does one draw a conclusion to it's merit. For me I'd much prefer something interesting and informative and not something that has become so repetitive, drawn out and burnt out. Simple !

I don't know how long you have followed that thread but it has been informative, I've learned several things from it that I didn't know before. Anyway, who says a "chat around the water cooler" has to be useful and informative? I certainly don't visit The Lounge to broaden my mind, I come here for a chit-chat and an exchange of views. You are of course free to join in or not as you choose but to tell others that their conversation is "repetitive, drawn out and burnt out" is rather rude don't you think?

grumpygit

Visit site
I don't know how long you have followed that thread but it has been informative, I've learned several things from it that I didn't know before. Anyway, who says a "chat around the water cooler" has to be useful and informative? I certainly don't visit The Lounge to broaden my mind, I come here for a chit-chat and an exchange of views. You are of course free to join in or not as you choose but to tell others that their conversation is "repetitive, drawn out and burnt out" is rather rude don't you think?

That chat around the water cooler? sounds a tad playground . . . ish
As for me telling others that their conversation was bla bla bla, what planet are you off. Who mentioned anything about conversation? I don't think I have even used the word or anything like in any or my posts.
I was only refering to the subject matter of Greece. If you are going to try and quote me or iterpret me please do it correctly instead of going off half cocked, so I think the rudeness is down to you Tony.

Tony Cross

Visit site
That chat around the water cooler? sounds a tad playground . . . ish
As for me telling others that their conversation was bla bla bla, what planet are you off. Who mentioned anything about conversation? I don't think I have even used the word or anything like in any or my posts.
I was only refering to the subject matter of Greece. If you are going to try and quote me or iterpret me please do it correctly instead of going off half cocked, so I think the rudeness is down to you Tony.

Really? Then how else am I to interpret this?

Nobody is forced to read any thread. Clearly some people are enjoying commenting on Greece because that thread is updated almost daily. If you don't like it then don't read it. Simple.

You clearly imply that [the Greek thread in the Lounge] " has become so repetitive, drawn out and burnt out". What did I misinterpret there?

And if a thread is not a conversation (of sorts) then what is it?

grumpygit

Visit site
Really? Then how else am I to interpret this?

You clearly imply that [the Greek thread in the Lounge] " has become so repetitive, drawn out and burnt out". What did I misinterpret there?

And if a thread is not a conversation (of sorts) then what is it?

There is a great difference between you implying that I'm personally trying to insult people about their conversation and a tiresome and for the time being a worn out subject.
Strange, I always believed conversation was an oral communication, never mind "(of sorts)". No reply needed Tony, it's not only the subject matter . . . . . .

Max K

N/A
Visit site
Oh dear, and I thought we were getting along so well. :rolleyes:

Good choice of user name by the way. :encouragement:

Perhaps his mother was one of those you sold the €25 Marina Barbecue tickets to before she found out that Mr Reese's do on the same day was only €10 and you wouldn't give her a refund! Ho! Ho! Ho!

What an amazing co-incidence that I Katherimini chose the barbecue organising metaphore in it's recent article about Grece's prowess in economics. Perhaps it rubs off when you've lived there too long.

Max.

Last edited:

Tony Cross

Visit site
Well I know the stor stor stor story I heard and I believe it to be tr tr true. Please don't pick on my mother at least I had one !

I was there.

The prices quoted above are wrong (at least for the one we organised - and yes, it wasn't just me) and I don't recall anybody asking for their money back from us. Had they done so we probably would have refused if it had been after we ordered the two whole lambs and a pig because we size the meat we order based on the number of people and the cash we have available.

In previous years one or two people have changed their minds having booked and paid and because that was before we ordered the meat we gave them their money back. I don't ever recall anyone asking for their money back after we have ordered the meat in the 8 years we've been doing this.

You're free to believe anything you like of course only those who were there know what really went on or even why there were two Easter BBQs that year.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Hang on I seen to lost the plot somewhere , so one greek euro will be worth ? A slice of lamb and three slices of pig , or is it the other way round . Maybe the euro in black market prices will be worth a leg of lamb and two pig trotters .

charles_reed

Visit site
Interesting assumption, that if the Greek government defaults and is bankrupt, that Greece would HAVE to leave the €.
Probably reinforced by such eminent broadsheets as the Daily Wail.

I'd agree that, at some point the Hellenic Government will issue script, to the public payroll, effectively doing what the troika are trying to get them to do - reduce the public and pension payroll.

Can't see that having any effect on Greek Banks (unless all their reserves are in Greek Government Bonds).

My current opinion is that Vanoufakis has had a wonderful opportunity to test his ideas on Game theory and the Germans have only just woken up to the Scrabble they're in.

The string (apart from the regrettable personal attacks) reminds me of the Hans Christian Andersen story about the spoilt engagement party. Great powers of imagination on this forum - pity they're not selling their output.

maxi77

Visit site
Interesting assumption, that if the Greek government defaults and is bankrupt, that Greece would HAVE to leave the €.
Probably reinforced by such eminent broadsheets as the Daily Wail.

I'd agree that, at some point the Hellenic Government will issue script, to the public payroll, effectively doing what the troika are trying to get them to do - reduce the public and pension payroll.

Can't see that having any effect on Greek Banks (unless all their reserves are in Greek Government Bonds).

My current opinion is that Vanoufakis has had a wonderful opportunity to test his ideas on Game theory and the Germans have only just woken up to the Scrabble they're in.

The string (apart from the regrettable personal attacks) reminds me of the Hans Christian Andersen story about the spoilt engagement party. Great powers of imagination on this forum - pity they're not selling their output.

I suspect the impacton Greek banks if the government defaults it will close all banks by decree pending the establishment of their new currency and mandatory conversion of all balances to the new currency. Why do you think every one in Greece with any sense has been shifting their money out of Greek banks. If I had a Greek bank account I would be ensuring that the balance was the minimum I could get away with, an overdraft would be ideal.

Tony Cross

Visit site
I suspect the impacton Greek banks if the government defaults it will close all banks by decree pending the establishment of their new currency and mandatory conversion of all balances to the new currency. Why do you think every one in Greece with any sense has been shifting their money out of Greek banks. If I had a Greek bank account I would be ensuring that the balance was the minimum I could get away with, an overdraft would be ideal.

Whilst most of what might happen is not likely to directly affect the liveaboard in Greece one item I read about this morning is that Greece might start to limit cash withdrawals from banks, so we might find ourselves having to make more regular trips to ATM machines?

BurnitBlue

Visit site
If a tourist arrives in Greece with a pocket full of Euros he will be OK.

Until he runs out (like long term sailing folk) and has to get money from an ATM machine. The script will be your pounds or Euros for their new currency at the official government exchange rate which will be a joke.

Greeks will use up their supply under the mattress.

Sailing folk would do better to get the ferry to Italy for more Euros

Happened to me before in Yugoslavia many years ago

Melody

www.aegeansailingschool.com

There have been no overdraft facilities available to anyone in Greece for a very long time ....