GPS

Dave_Snelson

www.makeyourowngarments.com
Garmin make two about the size of a mobile phone. One is the e-trex at under £100 and the other is the e-trex summit which has other gizmo's including an altimeter (which is kinda useless in a boat application).

The e-trex comes in easy-to-find bright yellow and is water-proof to 1 metre and it floats (which is kinda useful in a boat application).

Cheers.

G

I use a Garmin 12 XL which I find very reliable and easy to use. Permanantly interfaced with PC
for navigation software.

cneighbour

kingfisher

Visit site
Magelan

I've got a 320.

Better screen resolution. Better display, better backlight. Might seem trivial, but not at 0400 on a wet night.
Less intuitive approach that Garmin. More options, but difficult to learn.
More battery life.
Better reception.
Is attached to the 12V plug AND the GPS repeater on the coachroof.

Take a look at the new Magellan range. Don't like their styling departement, though.

Great after service, though. Needed a replacement, got it within a week.

Obi-Wan

adarcy

Visit site
Re: GPS Garmin48

Garmin48 fantastic
batteries last long enough we haven't bother w dc connection
splashproof
we like the command structure
Garmin appear to have a v good backup service
includes a buoy and? light database built in
we have had one for circa 2 years no probs and of course the price has come down
probably best bit of kit on the boat

then again - the navigator has gone and bought a 176 for its display and road setup, you can download streets etc and plan routes from a CD. Bit big for the pocket though. We always have the 48 in a pocket when not used in case of abandon ship etc
Attached swivel arial works well from inside

Anthony

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by adarcy on Fri Jan 25 18:10:54 2002 (server time).</FONT></P>