Good Heavy Tarpaulins?

Little Rascal

Visit site
After going through several cheaper tarps as boat covers (a couple of months at a time at best) I've finally realised that cheapie ones are a false economy. So I'm going to bite the bullet and get a good heavy duty one - can anyone recommend what to get? The boat is 6m long. Anyone got any ideas for alternative suppliers? Secondhand lorry tarps for example?

Thanks!

Steve_N

Visit site

VicS

Visit site
Ive bought tarps fro Tarpaulins Direct ( aka Bradshaws)

I usually get several winters use out of the "Topgrade" ones but a full year inculding a summer just about does for them.
Not tried the Monotex or Supergrade

I bought some light weight translucent ones once to use during fitting out to save manhandling a heavy PVC one so often . Only lasted a few weeks.

THE best are the heavy PVC covers used on lorries, if you can find a source. Expect over 10 winters use possibly up to 20.

If you buy two overlapping ones (a large one and a small one) it costs more but makes entry to the boat a lot easier while it's covered

johnphilip

Visit site
Half way to a real cover

I had Ipswich Tarpaulins, who basically do lorry tarps and curtain sides to make up the two sheets in the acrylic they recommended. The Photo was taken 2009 and the sheets are still good. The aft sheet is a square but they cut the bow cover with a taper so it is easier to tie down and with a "notch" to go around the mast and give a slight lap under the main cover. The same made in Curtain side fabric would give you a hernia to lift. The only hassle is the time setting up the ridge and I also tie a thin batten along the top of the guardrails to give a fairer line and stop the stanchions making holes. The cost in 2009 was just under £300 inc. VAT, so annual cost not that bad for a 10M hull.

Quandary

Visit site
Ive bought tarps fro Tarpaulins Direct ( aka Bradshaws)

THE best are the heavy PVC covers used on lorries, if you can find a source. Expect over 10 winters use possibly up to 20.

I have a pair of those, they are two heavy to lift or handle in one piece so they overlap at the mast in case she is ever wintered with the mast up, the front one is a tapered shape. They were ordered on line from a firm in Cornwall who had them made somewhere in Ireland. The hems are welded on and include large heavy duty brass eyelets to which I added shockcord loops to maintain tension in the guy ropes. They cost over £500 in 2007 (10m. boat) and are probably good for a few years yet but they are just beginning so show some wear at the heaviest points of abrasion. Very heavy to handle but with a lifespan of about ten years of six month long windy Scottish winters. I use 50mm. wooden disks (cut with a holesaw) at the eyelets to spread the point loads.
However my neighbours in the boatyard seem to be able to get two ore more seasons out of two layers of the cheap stuff, all depends on how much care is taken in tying them down?

Last edited:

Tim Good

Visit site
A moody owner does an amazing job covering his in winter near me and he uses clear plastic sheeting with nylon running through it. The stuff that some scaffolding companies use. He then picks out some of the line in various places to run another thin rope through and tie it off to the toe rail. It looks very strong and hasn't torn in some serious blows. Like this:

Waterproof_Anti-UV_Scaffold_Sheeting_PE_Scaffolding_Cover.jpg

Scaffold%20Sheeting%20&%20Shock%20Cord.JPG

45m of the stuff costs about £70 apparently - http://www.tarpaflex.co.uk/acatalog/Scaffold-Sheeting-1.html

Rick_A

Visit site
I had two covers made by a company that makes sheets and curtain skins for lorry trailers, curtain siders etc. Was £360 for a 33 ft boat. My last one lasted 20 years, so I expect these to last the same.
They are heavy, and made to survive high winds.

Jcorstorphine

Visit site
I got a heavy duty PVC tarp made for my 21 foot boat back in 1998 from a Glasgow company called Tony Beal. http://www.tonybeal.com/ who make lorry tarps and curtains. The tarp was fitted with heavy reinforced eyelets and ropes. Cost was about £100 then

It was on my boat for almost 11 years while I rebuilt the interior and fitted a new engine etc. It has been on every winter since and is now a bit worn in places but still usable after 17 years use.

To get best life out of the tarp, it has to be laid over a ridge pole and well secured with several ropes over the top right round and under the keel to stop chaffing.

Buy cheap and buy often

jaminb

Visit site
Give these people a try. I got an off the shelf 7 x 3 m to cover my drascombe longboat - 5 years old looks as good as new. I was so impressed I got them to make up some bespoke rectangles to cover my outdoor kitchen. Again perfect after 5 years of winter weather exposure.

Heavy Duty Tarpaulin

johnphilip

Visit site
Picture taken in 2011 so at least 15 years old these two canvas sheets were made up for me by Tarpaulin Cover Manufacturers - Canvas Tarps Ipswich Tarpaulins. I reckon they still have a year or two left in them. No idea current costs, but a fraction of a sailmakers cover.
Longevity is helped by setting up a good timber ridge for each sheet and plastic pipe fixed along each guardrail to provide a smooth even bearing.Ipswich tarpaulins did form a horseshoe cutout in the bow cover to allow some overlap at the mast and a taper ( which I should have made bigger ) to makea reasonable fit. the main cover is just a rectangle.
Copy of Blackberry (30).jpg

Last edited: