Going over to France-Belgium-Netherlands -- would you take your dinghy?

oilybilge

Visit site
Evening all.

When I potter around the East Coast rivers I always take my 10' tender along for the ride, because how else am I going to get to the pub?

This year I'm thinking of popping over to Calais/Dunkirk and going up the coast, maybe as far as the Netherlands. The question is, is there any point in taking the dinghy? My impression from what I've read is that I'd mostly be marina-hopping and going through a lot of locks, in which case it would just be in the way. But are there times when it would be useful? Love to hear from people who've done it either way. Cheers!

Daydream believer

Visit site
Never taken my dinghy since 2003. . Certainly no where to anchor & go ashore between Boulogne & the Netherlands. No point in having a dinghy until perhaps up past Amsterdam. But I have never been that far so no experience of that area.

Gustywinds

Visit site
Well, I am doing canals and rivers rather than coastal and I was given a 2.5m inflatable by one of the other guys at the marina where I bought my boat and, tbh, it’s a pain. Used in one day when we were at De Biesbosch but otherwise it has just been on the snap davits, getting in the way. Don’t have space to deflate and stow so I’m going to leave it with a friend who will see if he can pass it on to someone who can use.

johnalison

Visit site
I can scarcely think of any occasions when we have used the dinghy when going east abroad. The children messed around in dinghies in the Versemeer, and I can remember using the dinghy to clean and polish the hull one year in Poland, and that’s just about it. I never thought about leaving the dinghy behind, but only on the grounds that you never know when you might need one.

LiftyK

Visit site
I just returned from such a trip. No need for a dinghy. Even if you tie up at a small island, there will be a walk-ashore landing stage, an onshore loo, onshore rubbish disposal and recycling, and there is no charge.

MontyMariner

montymariner.co.uk
Towing a dinghy is for local coastal trips, crossing the Channel with a dinghy in tow if the weather cuts up would not be fun, possibly even dangerous.
As I like to anchor where possible, when I had a 22 footer I had a rolled up AX2 in the cockpit, now with a bigger 33 footer I have the luxury of having a bigger inflatable either stowed under a bunk or inflated on the fore deck, but I do know that I wouldn't want to be without it.

Daydream believer

Visit site
If I was there I'd be checking my sextant and my sums.

I rarely pass to the east of the prime meridian, but hope to visit the Baltic.
Then perhaps you would read the Op's post & answer based on his request, not on some totally irrelevant anchorage area.
To change the subject slightly, I cannot see the point of tying ones self to the sea bed, then going by dinghy to get an ice cream, when it would be far more civilised to tie ones boat to a pontoon & step ashore & stroll to a host of ice cream shops, without the worry of the dinghy.
Circa 1970s we did anchor off Dunkirk, so we could go & look at the beaches that our soldiers had to hide on. We rowed ashore & were surprised by the waves & suddenly the Avon dinghy was flipped, with us in the water. Getting back offshore & back to the boat was no easy feat & I have never attempted such a silly feat on that coast (or any coast)again.

johnalison

Visit site
As I've said, I have hardly ever used a dinghy East of Harwich, but I don't think I would want to go on an extended cruise without having one as a resource. Although we cruised with a liferaft, I always thought the little Avon might be of some use as a back-up for emergencies.

westhinder

Visit site
Excellent! Many useful replies here. I'm hearing 'no' :cool:
Depends on your crew and your plans. You don’t need a dinghy for the Belgian coast, and in the Dutch Delta you can perfectly do without. But if there are children in the crew it is an invaluable toy for e.g. the Veerse Meer, the Grevelingen or any of the harbours. Our kids spent many happy days messing in the dinghy in Zeeland.

lektran

Visit site
Earlier this year we went from Portsmouth to Lowestoft via France, Belgium and Netherlands and we only used the dinghy twice. Once in Dordrecht to explore the tiny canals and again in Leiden for the same. If we had stayed longer we might have used it on the Veerse Meer or other larger waterways where anchoring is possible, but really the marinas are cheap enough that we wouldn't have anchored often.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Then perhaps you would read the Op's post & answer based on his request, not on some totally irrelevant anchorage area..
Mine was a more general point; I'd never dream of leaving the dinghy behind on any passage of any length, you might just find a decent pub or ice-cream parlour.

The fact that I am currently in the west of France was just me saying where I am at the moment.

DanTribe

Visit site
Not much point in taking the dinghy between Dunkirk and Netherlands but once in Netherlands it can be very handy.
We used our inflatable and outboard for ~
Anchor and go ashore at Vrouwenpolder if staging is full. Beach bars and shopping.
Ouddorp for steam museum and beach bars
Haarlem for shopping, saves a long hike, and exploring the back canals.
Sundry places to explore creeks too shallow for yacht.
A rigid dinghy would be a liability.

Last edited: