Gluing new sail leg skirt - advice?

TonyMills

Visit site
Hi,

I recently installed an S130 sail leg Gluing the rubber skirt (tidy up the hull shape where the leg comes through the hull) to the fibreglass hull. I used a recommended adhesive filler, similar to sikaflex. On my first outing last week, I swam under and found that the skirt is coming away, both for and aft.

I'm only able to get onto the travel lift for a very short period this week (3 hours) and would appreciate any advice on the use of quick acting epoxy glues suitable for establishing a good hold.

Regards
Tony

Cantata

Visit site
One of the recommended adhesives is Bostik 2402. It's a 2-part adhesive which grabs pretty quickly (or it did when I used it for the same job) so may be feasible for you. You must however make sure that both surfaces are scrupulously clean first, e.g. using acetone.
Glue was not available locally at all, but I found it at Barnet Marine Centre who were trading on eBay as 'lalbmcltd', this was back in Feb this year.

Dipper

Visit site
I used a two part Araldite type adhesive on mine and it's still there 10 years later.

As Cantata says, make sure both surfaces are clean. It is also very helpful to lightly abrade the contact surface of the hull as well as the rubber gaiter with some coarse wet and dry to ensure good adhesion. Also make sure that the adhesive extends slightly beyond the edge of the gaiter to prevent any edge being lift up by the force of water passing by.

johnnys

Visit site
Hi Tony
I had same problem on my new boat last season. Searched on here and the concensus was :
make sure the fairing is well abraded (mine was smooth as a babies, no wonder it didn't stick)
make sure surfaces are clean (use thinners)
glue using polymarine two part adhesive for hypalon
Its tricky getting the two sufaces aligned, once they touch they are stuck. Ideally you need two pairs of hands. When stuck roll with something like a 1" wallpaper roller, especially the edges.
This worked well for me and when I checked a few weeks ago it was still nice and tight despite a fair amount of heavy weather pounding.
Hope this helps
John