Giving It All Up☹

Dougal

Visit site
This is a tough post for me (tough time too).
After more than 40 years of boating and sailing, a recent medical diagnosis means that realistically, we have to give up sailing (or certainly ownership).

I’ve been quite ill for years, but always just ‘pushed through it’ and sailed or worked on. Well, it seems that didn’t help and I’m not going to get any better. Alas, quite the opposite☹

For everybody’s health, safety and welfare, especially my own, I’ve had to make the really tough decision to sell our beloved boat, and live a somewhat more sedate lifestyle. Anyone owning, maintaining and sailing a 40odd year old boat on a tight fixed budget, will understand there’s not a great deal of ‘sedate’ time to be had?

We’ve had this one about 12 years, spending between 4-6 months aboard every year, and in France at that, so it’s going to be a major change.

On and off, we’ve been members here for as long as I can remember, and I don’t plan on leaving the forum, as it may be our only link to a number of friends. I would however, like to express my enormous thanks and sincere gratitude to all those that have had the patience to dig me out of trouble on so many occasions? HUGE thanks to you all!

I expect to be hauling out sometime in March, and leave her up for sale in a French yard. What a time to try to sell a British registered vessel in France lol. Best laid plans and all that... We were planning to cross Biscay to Spain this year too☹

Stay safe my friends

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
All the best, I faced the same decision 6 years ago after a couple of operations and new discs in my neck I could start again but having made the decision once I don't want to do it again.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
Sorry to hear that Phil, all the best for whatever the future might be.

Also sorry to here the news. At least your boat isn't too far from UK and getting her back might be an option. Problem is of course a matter of crystal ball gazing. Might be easier to sell in France if we get a deal and a transition period. Current news makes it sound as if the UK second hand boat market isn't likely to boom.

I guess you can only wait and see what happens. Good luck anyway and I hope it works out.

pvb

Visit site
Yes, best wishes and hope the sale goes through fairly quickly. Be sure to find something else to occupy your time, and keep dipping in to the forums.

JimC

Visit site
Best wishes for the future. It's possible to live a perfectly full and rewarding life without owning a boat, in fact the majority of people do!

Perhaps you'll be well enough to potter around inshore or inland in something smaller?

Good Luck

Norman_E

Visit site
Best wishes from me as well. I hope you sell easily. Its going to be a wrench to give up, and if you can still drive I suggest you consider something that a few people I have known have done once their boats were sold. They bought motor caravans and enjoyed touring Europe, and did not feel that giving up their boats had confined their horizons too much. Bon Voyage whatever you do.

dom

Visit site
How sad is that.

I'd echo all of the comments above. And don't forget that you'll always be most welcome to jump on a boat for one of the periodic forum meets.

Mister E

Visit site
I am sorry to hear this best wishes for the future.
If you are in North Wales you are welcome on my boat any time (I could do with someone who knows what they are doing )

Dougal

Visit site
Before I got the medical diagnosis, I bought a lot of new kit to fit to the boat. I'll sell all that either here or on eBay, so keep your eyes open for a bargain.
Everything from fresh water pumps and solar panels, to Victron split chargers and stuff....

KINGFISHER 8

Visit site
I took to motor boating when arthritis stopped me scampering up and down the foredeck, flying spinnakers etc … didn't expect to enjoy it much after a dozen odd sailing boats since the 60s but as it's turned out it was a great move. Just so much easier to manage in fact I'm starting to wish I'd done it earlier. Just getting out there is enough for a lot of people so maybe that would be worth a try? …:encouragement:

Balbas

Visit site
Terribly sad that you're having to give up on your passion. As others have mentioned, many seem to find motorhomes a good alternative - I know one of my uncles has made that switch after a lifetime with boats.
Before I got the medical diagnosis, I bought a lot of new kit to fit to the boat. I'll sell all that either here or on eBay, so keep your eyes open for a bargain.
Everything from fresh water pumps and solar panels, to Victron split chargers and stuff....

I'm at the other end of the scale, just starting out and scrimping to get everything together, but I'm after a solar set up...

Dougal

Visit site
We did it backwards.... Started out on motor boats, mostly old WW2 conversions back in the early 80s. Didn't get my 1st sail boat until 1996 in San Diego.

If the boat sells in any kind of decent time scale, then maybe a little motorhome for a while. Sadly though, the long term prognosis for me is not good. Possibly as little as 2 years but could also be anything up to 10. Bizarre diagnosis. Crikey, that's the 1st time I've actually put that in writing. Seems a little shocking to me right now and we still haven't got our heads round it.

maby

Visit site
As others have already said, I'm sorry to hear your story! It is something that we will all have to address at some time, but continuously try to push into the future - I stand on the pontoon looking at our boat and doubt that I have much more than another ten years of sailing in me - and it will be a terrible wrench when we finally have to admit that the time has come.

On the brighter side, boat ownership is horribly expensive - put the money that it would have cost you aside and charter from time to time until it really becomes impossible. Two to ten years is not an instant death sentence at our time of life. I'm a fairly unfit man in my mid-sixties - there's a fair risk that I could have a heart attack before the end of the day and you could significantly outlast me! You're no different to the way you were before you got the prognosis - you've just caught sight of your "use by" date...

Balbas

Visit site
Sadly though, the long term prognosis for me is not good. Possibly as little as 2 years but could also be anything up to 10. Bizarre diagnosis. Crikey, that's the 1st time I've actually put that in writing. Seems a little shocking to me right now and we still haven't got our heads round it.
Ive known people given a short time to live who've lasted for ages. And then again I've known people with no obvious health issues pass away without warning. An old chum of mine died last year aged 57. Fit as a fiddle, looking forward to retiring aged 60, but had a massive heart attack (whilst sailing funnily enough). I've lost count of the friends I've lost to motorbike accidents, and a close friend when I was a teenager had a brain haemorrhage doing nothing more strenuous than sitting in an armchair.

Life is transient for all of us. Until it's time to check out we've all got to live the fullest lives we can.

Good luck.