Gibraltar

Dockhead

Visit site
Does anyone know what is the procedure now for clearing in and out of Gib from Spain? Do you even do it any more after the recent changes?

westernman

www.devalk.nl
Does anyone know what is the procedure now for clearing in and out of Gib from Spain? Do you even do it any more after the recent changes?
Isn't Gibraltar now part of the Schengen common travel area?

In which case there is no need for clearing in or out when going between Gib and Spain or vice-versa.

Not sure what this means for your 90/180 days in Schengen. I guess if you are in Gib the clock is still ticking unless you are resident in Gib. Being UK resident is not enough??

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Indeed, but what about customs?

I have a European residence card, so 90/180 is not an issue for me.

A month or two ago, I emailed Gib tourist dept to ask about situation there for crew and boats, they replied saying they didn't know and suggested I email customs which I did and haven't had a reply.

Having residence in one country only allows 90/180 in others and although Gib is said to now be in Schengen, it's not listed as a Schengen country so, is it an extension of Spain?

ean_p

Visit site
I can't find anything to say it has been but, read a post somewhere (can't remember where) saying Spanish were now in charge of border. Hopefully, someone who knows the true position will come along soon .

Yeah, early in the year it all seemed to be going along with The Spanish police and EU border force( forget their name!) controlling the port and airport. De facto controlling the border! But I think that and the fact that the Spanish authorities would take over 'residence' control for all expats became a bit of a stumbling block and delayed matters. Certainly the latest I could find was early October and the situation was still stalemate! Any up dates?

Dockhead

Visit site
A month or two ago, I emailed Gib tourist dept to ask about situation there for crew and boats, they replied saying they didn't know and suggested I email customs which I did and haven't had a reply.

Having residence in one country only allows 90/180 in others and although Gib is said to now be in Schengen, it's not listed as a Schengen country so, is it an extension of Spain?

Indeed -- 90/180 OUTSIDE of the Schengen country of your residence, but I don't plan to violate that (heading across the Atlantic already in early January), and anyway with a European residence card, they absolutely don't care and don't check, as long as you're not getting close to tax residency with more than 180 out of the year.

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
"Yeah, early in the year it all seemed to be going along with The Spanish police and EU border force( forget their name!) controlling the port and airport. De facto controlling the border!"
Individual countries control their own borders, with the support of the European Border and Coastguard Agency, also known as Frontex., which has no competency in day-to-day operations in the field. In Spain, border policing and the Coastguard function is the responsibility of the Guardia Civil.[/QUOTE]

ean_p

Visit site
Individual countries control their own borders, with the support of the European Border and Coastguard Agency, also known as Frontex., which has no competency in day-to-day operations in the field. In Spain, border policing and the Coastguard function is the responsibility of the Guardia Civil.
[/QUOTE]
Very nice for Spain but we're talking Gibraltar...and what the EU proposed controls will / would have been if the Schengen deal had / has gone forward as proposed by the EU. Frontex would have been the controlling force for the first 5 years with back up from the Spanish police (GC or who ever) who would then take over in totality after 5 years.

capnsensible

Visit site
I reckon that if you want to know the real deal on what's happening, try an email to one or more of the sailing schools in Gib. They have to live with this stuff every day. (y)

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
Very nice for Spain but we're talking Gibraltar...and what the EU proposed controls will / would have been if the Schengen deal had / has gone forward as proposed by the EU. Frontex would have been the controlling force for the first 5 years with back up from the Spanish police (GC or who ever) who would then take over in totality after 5 years.
[/QUOTE]
I would have thought that the relevant agency of the Gib authorities would control their own borders, with the support of Frontex in the event of Schengen membership.
AFAIK cross-border travel between Schengen members is without any form of day-to -day regulation, in the same manner as travel between Ireland and the UK, (and vice versa), the latter having refrained from joining Schengen for some strange reason, and the former having refrained in order to preserve the free travel arrangement that has existed between the two countries since the founding of the Irish Free State in 1921.