Gianneschi Idromini domestic fresh water pump

Whitelighter

Visit site
Seralia is fitted with a pair (yes two) of Gianneschi Idromini Ecojet water pumps.
One does the salt water system, and one does the fresh although you can switch either to do either feed, so you have effectively a spare pump always.
We don't really use the salt water as we carry enough fresh and are never away from marinas that long

Anyway, pumps are original (21 years old) and making a racket so asked the local engineers to have a look at rebuilding them. Gianneschi have apparently said they dont supply a service kit anymore so have said new pumps needed - at €800+IVA each.

I know Ferretti like to fit gold plated kit but this seems a little extreme even by their standards. The pumps have a 3 litre(ish) reservoir attached. Speaking to ASAP their biggest and best pump with primer reservoir is like £300 inc tax - and even that pump size is OTT.

So, is there something really special about the Gianneschi kit that im missing? And, for a 50ft boat, two heads with proper showers, three sinks, a deck shower and cockpit sink what would the sages of the forum suggest replacing them with if I don't fancy forking out the thick end of £2000 on new like for like replacements

Whitelighter

Visit site
This is basically it

p16dveehb5i4vdde1q72ni91lf61.jpg

So a bit more than the Jabsco one, but I wonder what the extra does

MapisM

Visit site
We don't really use the salt water as we carry enough fresh and are never away from marinas that long
is there something really special about the Gianneschi kit that im missing?
LOL, the fact that they are 21yo and still working, I reckon.

Ref. the sea water circuit, actually that is NOT meant as a backup when you run out of fresh water.
It's because any half decent cook knows that you MUST use sea water for cleaning fishes.
Of course, cleaning a fish in the swim platform is no big deal in any boat, but I suppose that when NF thought to have a sea water tap in the galley (apropos, you mentioned that as if you had the option of using either fresh or salt water throughout the boat, but if so, it's bound to be a modification that somebody made - and one I'm not sure to like, btw), he had in mind that his valuable clients preferred not to be annoyed by the cook while playing on the swim platform and waiting for dinner to be ready... :rolleyes: :cool:

Whitelighter

Visit site
LOL, the fact that they are 21yo and still working, I reckon.

Ref. the sea water circuit, actually that is NOT meant as a backup when you run out of fresh water.
It's because any half decent cook knows that you MUST use sea water for cleaning fishes.
Of course, cleaning a fish in the swim platform is no big deal in any boat, but I suppose that when NF thought to have a sea water tap in the galley (apropos, you mentioned that as if you had the option of using either fresh or salt water throughout the boat, but if so, it's bound to be a modification that somebody made - and one I'm not sure to like, btw), he had in mind that his valuable clients preferred not to be annoyed by the cook while playing on the swim platform and waiting for dinner to be ready... :rolleyes: :cool:

You're are right, seawater is galley only, not the rest of the boat
The back up bit I meant either pump can do either fresh or salt by switching cocks on the manifold

So, €800+IVA so I can clean some fresh fish? Yep, that sounds about right. So, If I keep the circuit obviously I need a pump that will do fresh and salt. I think salt will destroy most Jabsco pumps? Or do I accept that for fish Ill just eat out and replace one or both?

MapisM

Visit site
So, €800+IVA so I can clean some fresh fish? Yep, that sounds about right.
Oi, 'twas your decision to join the Ferretti VIP club, you must take the bad with the good, I reckon. :D :D :D
It's only money after all... :p

Jokes aside, I'm a bit surprised to hear that the two pumps are identical in size, and both with accumulator tank, as I understand?
That's indeed OTT, for just a sea water tap in the galley - and is the reason why I guessed that some previous owner might have installed the sea water pump in such way to use it as alternatively...

PS: hang on. On second thought, I'm pretty sure that your boat was originally fitted with sea water toilets.
I half recall that you replaced them with Tecma, or was it Hurricane?
Anyway, if you still have the OEM setup, sea water pump has to be a solid one, for very obvious reasons.

Last edited:

Whitelighter

Visit site
Oi, 'twas your decision to join the Ferretti VIP club, you must take the bad with the good, I reckon. :D :D :D
It's only money after all... :p

Jokes aside, I'm a bit surprised to hear that the two pumps are identical in size, and both with accumulator tank, as I understand?
That's indeed OTT, for just a sea water tap in the galley - and is the reason why I guessed that some previous owner might have installed the sea water pump in such way to use it as alternatively...

yeah it struck me as a bit OTT as well, though having a back up FW pump ability on board is nice when cruising away from main base
The manual also has an option to have a back up inline AutoPilot pump as well (we dont have one but we have the space for it). Constant running hydro at £1300ea so I wont be adding one any time soon. Ill just hand steer

MapisM

Visit site
Ability to clean fish in salt water must surely rank high in the top 10 of boating 1st world problems!
Yeah, possibly.
As long as you don't mention that to a good friend of mine whose dinners are on par with most starred restaurants... :rolleyes:

Hurricane

Visit site
On second thought, I'm pretty sure that your boat was originally fitted with sea water toilets.
I half recall that you replaced them with Tecma, or was it Hurricane?

Nop, it was me that did the Toilet update - Planus in fact.
But I can see why you thought it was Whitelighter because this pic was posted at the end of last year.
BTW - the pic was none of my doing!!!

serve.php

Well not much of my doing ;);)

MapisM

Visit site
Nop, it was me that did the Toilet update - Planus in fact.
But I can see why you thought it was Whitelighter because this pic was posted at the end of last year.
LOL, yeah, now I remember. :D
So far so good with the Planus stuff, I suppose?

Jez, do you mean that you've got two seacocks for each toilet?
I was aware that before Ferretti switched to Tecmas around 1999 (which I recall because it's the year of their "anniversary" models) they used sea water WCs, but I would have sweared that they were feeded by a centralized pump, at least on the 175 and 185.
Coming to think of it, maybe I'm mixing that up with the SL62...

D

Deleted User YDKXO

I know Ferretti like to fit gold plated kit but this seems a little extreme even by their standards.

So, is there something really special about the Gianneschi kit that im missing?

I think the fact that they are still working at 21yrs old despite making a racket probably tells you why Ferretti use Gianneschi. I've had Gianneschi pumps on all 3 of my Ferrettis and never had an issue with any of them. IMHO the domestic water pump and the holding tank macerator pump are 2 items which can ruin your holiday so fit the best you can. I'm not sure why the Gianneschi pump is more expensive but it might have something to do with the fact that the impellor/housing is metal rather than plastic

In your position I would change the domestic water pump for a new Gianneschi unit and use the best of the 2 old pumps as the seawater pump because I guess, like us, you hardly ever use that one and its not a big deal if it breaks. Also that still gives you the same redundancy you had before

jfm

Visit site
I agree on Gianneschi quality. I have one for freshwater. Due partly to size/weight/cost, but mostly due to reliability, my back up pump isn't a Gianneschi. It's a jabsco thing. Point is that I will never need it because the Gianneschi is so good!

MapisM

Visit site
I think the fact that they are still working at 21yrs old despite making a racket probably tells you why Ferretti use Gianneschi.
Precisely what I said in my first post of this thread! :D
And Ferretti is far from being alone in fitting those pumps. On top of having understood above that Hurric and jfm have the same stuff in their Prin/FL, it's also standard installation for most IT builders - Azi being a notable exception, as we understood from Rafiki in another thread.
Pretty sure, they don't charge to yards prices anywhere near those which WL mentioned. But that's true of any suppliers of nautical equipment - engines, pumps, gensets, instruments... You name it.
If someone would bother adding up at list price all the components installed on a boat, probably the conclusion would be that builders are losing money on every boat they build... :rolleyes:

vas

Visit site
so you experts recon this one is a good buy:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Giannesc...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

:D

a bit on the large side with 5lpm at 42m head and 36A@24V, and almost 25kg!!! :eek:
what is it for? a 40+m superyacht?

out of curiosity what are the lpm and head specs on your 18+m mobos guys?

I'd really like to get a NON-diaphragm pump for MiToS in order to have a quiet system but too many other things to spent money on atm!
Wouldn't mind a suggestion of a non-diaphragm pump though, doubt it's going to be difficult putting a system together with stock equipment and a decent pressostatic valve tbh.

cheers

V.

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Yep, a little bird once told me what the manufacturers pay for the Kad44 package installed on my boat. I'm too discreet to say but the discount was so large that if I was buying a new boat tomorrow I'd be asking if they could supply a couple of crate engines at cost to keep for spares!