GGR 22

Frank Holden

Visit site
The 1200-ish position posts on Live Tracker suggest that Simon has 'got his Mojo working' again - with around 100nm made in a SE'ly direction - and Kirsten has, too, at over 30nm ahead of Abhilash and again in No2 slot, bumping along the lid of the 'No-Go Zone'.
Directional dyslexia - a worrying condition in a navigator.

Frank Holden

Visit site
He should be able to steer the boat and keep her moving nicely for - say - 16 hours a day. What else is there to do? Sit below reading old copies of the Reader's Digest for the nth time?

Seems he most likely fell victim to the NW wind and sea over SW'ly swell issue that you get as you near the Chilean coast.
Last time we crossed we lost the aux rudder of our wind vane in a similar manner almost exactly 7 years ago to the day . Confused sea, boat fell in to the abyss. I recall seeing 17knots on either the log or GPS but not sure if that was up, down or sideways. Anyway the vane tried to keep her on course, 'barn doored' the aux rudder which truly did go west.
Non functioning autopilot meant we had to hand steer for two or three weeks - luckily there were three of us. A week or so later a single hander well south of us ( 800 miles?) was rolled - she put it all in the too hard basket and turned left for Panama.

Attachments

• P2290240 (2).jpeg
    P2290240 (2).jpeg
    831.9 KB · Views: 20

zoidberg

Visit site
Hmmm. I'm interested in the details of your .jpeg pic.

I have a spare rudder assembly for my Cutlass27 and also a pair of foils from De Savery's 'Blue Arrow' that are much lighter. I'm sure I could cobble together a sort-of emergency rudder, with some gudgeon/pintles from SeaSure or Allen.

Frank Holden

Visit site
NB this rudder is totally independent of main rudder.
First photo shows complete assembly. Short tiller is what damping lines are attached to to stop oversteering.
second shot, Port/stbd on trim tab is transferred as push pull to small arm which in turn sends rotary up the inside of the pole.
Third shot. where the trim tab signal ends up. Red line goes to cockpit and engages/disengages the system
Fourth shot. Vertical axis vane has a 'tail' about 18 inches long which drops into hollow tube as shown. Bit of bungee engages system when red line is released.
Last shot, somewhere in the mid 40's.

Attachments

• IMG_1718.jpeg
    IMG_1718.jpeg
    75.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1716.jpeg
    IMG_1716.jpeg
    61.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1721.jpeg
    IMG_1721.jpeg
    57.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1719.jpeg
    IMG_1719.jpeg
    62.1 KB · Views: 18
  • P1010040_1.jpeg
    P1010040_1.jpeg
    879.5 KB · Views: 18

zoidberg

Visit site
Thanks for those, Frank. I'll look to your ideas when cobbling together a usable 'get-me-home' ( or somewhere else ) independent rudder system.

Frank Holden

Visit site
Back on track, which is what Simon seems to be, I think he will keep going. He can lose an awful lot of ground before anyone catches up with him and once past Estados life should get easier.

I reckon given a bit of settled weather he should be able to fix that linkage with duct tape and string. Might not stand up to heavy conditions but in lighter conditions with a well balanced boat?

They are allowed to carry duct tape, yes??

zoidberg

Visit site
Let's not forget that Jean Luc Van Den Heede lashed-up his severely damaged lower shrouds attachment using some Dyneema cord - in much the same bit of ocean - that just happened to 'hiding un-noticed' in a locker, and that held his mast together all the way back to SDO and a 'win'.

zoidberg

Visit site
'Meanwhile, back at the ranch'.... GGR and Simon.

I see some really heavy weather is coming Simon's way over the next few days and he appears to be diving south out of its way, as best he can.
He's a canny lad!

Edit: "SimonCurwen (UK) - Biscay 36 “Clara”: All well on Clara. Making good progress E and S where all options lie. Sorry for lack of coms. Race rules. Can update in call Mon"

Last edited:

ridgy

Visit site

zoidberg

Visit site
A message from Simon Corwen this morning indicates he has decided to head for a Chilean port to effect repairs, changing to 'Chichester Class', and will consider his options .
It seems he had too much difficulty maintaining a downwind course in 'moderate breeze' and was worried about slow going with a series of storms due.

zoidberg

Visit site
Never mind the RAF, when you look out your window and see this its a bit unsettling
Tape on a plane? We look into the viral photo that suggests Qantas is winging it with repairs

The wing is still flying, presumably still attached to the other one, and somebody seems to have landed it somewhere - so that's all right, then.

But it's not only the RAF. What about superglue holding together bits of the RN's nuclear deterrent submarines?
Trident sub just glued together